The Student Room Group

Should Britain stay away from all international conflict?

Should Britain stay away from all international conflict? What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

No.
Reply 2
No they should not.
Yes. You're not a superpower anymore.
Original post by PinkBoy

Yes considering that soon Britain will be totally on its own.

1) We won't have the EU because we are leaving and they don't like us and will refuse to help Britain. Ok they never helped us before but now they're if anything becoming one of Britian's many enemies and we have a new Cold War brewing with the EU.

2) We can't trust the US under Trump.

3) Selfish British politicians refuse to work with Mr Putin and Russia.

4) And we don't have an empire anymore.

5) Our armed forces have been cut to shreds and we hardly have much left.

All those reasons are why Britain should avoid any conflict because we are totally on our own now with a tiny army navy and RAF .
Original post by Ambitious1999
we have a new Cold War brewing with the EU.

lmao what
Original post by Retired_Messiah
lmao what

'New' Cold War as opposed to the old Cold War like we had with the USSR
Reply 7

cold war

a state of political hostility between countries characterized by threats, propaganda, and other measures short of open warfare, in particular.

the state of hostility that existed between the Soviet bloc countries and the Western powers from 1945 to 1990.

I disagree with what you've said. The definition of 'cold war' stays the same, whether it is used to describe actions 50 years ago or now. I don't think there is any political hostility between the UK and other countries found in the EU. In fact, I would say that we have a very good relationships with certain countries in the EU, in particular, France, Spain, Germany and Italy.
Reply 8
Yes considering that soon Britain will be totally on its own.

5) Our armed forces have been cut to shreds and we hardly have much left.

The armed forces of the UK is quite capable of holding it's own with affairs in countries such as Syria and Afghanistan.

Total regular forces in the army : 160,460. This includes Nepalese Gurkhas, which are among the most feared soldiers in the world.

Total number of RAF Personnel : 32,180

We also have submarines, with over 120 operational warheads and 58 missile bodies.
Original post by PinkBoy

No. Britain has its own interests to protect and values to promote.
Reply 10
Original post by xbiostudentx
Yes. You're not a superpower anymore.

Britain is one of the nearest things we have to a superpower in the modern age. Superpowers, however, are largely things of the past: American military supremacy rather trumped it and it emerged head-and-shoulders above the rest. That is dwindling, but it is still in a league of its own.

Britain is second-league, however, which is a place of considerable influence and reach. We certainly have the capability to intervene globally, which is really the only relevance of being a superpower or not.
Original post by Spratty
cold war

a state of political hostility between countries characterized by threats, propaganda, and other measures short of open warfare, in particular.

the state of hostility that existed between the Soviet bloc countries and the Western powers from 1945 to 1990.

I disagree with what you've said. The definition of 'cold war' stays the same, whether it is used to describe actions 50 years ago or now. I don't think there is any political hostility between the UK and other countries found in the EU. In fact, I would say that we have a very good relationships with certain countries in the EU, in particular, France, Spain, Germany and Italy.

Apart from increasing hostility against British government especially from Germany, there is increasing hostility against British people in recent months. Travellers have noticed that Europeans arn't so friendly with Brits in Europe. In fact Salzburg airport in Austria is opening a special terminal just for British passengers, while all other nationalities use the normal terminal.
This is just the tip of the ice berg.
Apart from increasing hostility against British government especially from Germany, there is increasing hostility against British people in recent months. Travellers have noticed that Europeans arn't so friendly with Brits in Europe. In fact Salzburg airport in Austria is opening a special terminal just for British passengers, while all other nationalities use the normal terminal.
This is just the tip of the ice berg.

That's because the Germans and Austrians (same thing really) are just power hungry and control freaks; they haven't learned from 1918 nor 1945.

"My biggest regret is that the reich wasn't obtained legally." - Adolf Hitler, 1945 foreshadowing the EU.

All of the other Europeans are perfectly fine with Brexit, a lot of my French friends think they'll be the next to leave and the Netherlands is going that way too.

Yes I understand the concept, I just do not understand any of the views you post at any point ever
Well of course it depends on the conflict, I mean are we talking about Pakistan v India, Turkey v Kurdistan or Russia v Ukraine etc
In fact Salzburg airport in Austria is opening a special terminal just for British passengers, while all other nationalities use the normal terminal.

If true, the Austrians would be doing us a favour. The queue would be shorter.
Unless the conflict endangers the UK, yes, it should.

One obvious example is the Iraq war.
Original post by Dodgypirate
Unless the conflict endangers the UK, yes, it should.

One obvious example is the Iraq war.

Except in that case (the 2003 onwards one, anyway), we were in the belief that we were at risk, whether from direct forces or from terrorists using that country as a training base.
So how do you decide what the risk is?
Original post by Drewski
Except in that case (the 2003 onwards one, anyway), we were in the belief that we were at risk, whether from direct forces or from terrorists using that country as a training base.
So how do you decide what the risk is?

Tony Blair said it himself "(...) their mission is to overthrow Sadam Hussein and disarm Iraq's WMDs"

Was Hussein's regime a direct threat to the UK? Were the WMDs?

It was a pointless war.
Reply 19
Original post by Connor27
That's because the Germans and Austrians (same thing really) are just power hungry and control freaks; they haven't learned from 1918 nor 1945.

"My biggest regret is that the reich wasn't obtained legally." - Adolf Hitler, 1945 foreshadowing the EU.

All of the other Europeans are perfectly fine with Brexit, a lot of my French friends think they'll be the next to leave and the Netherlands is going that way too.

I don't think the French will leave the EU because that leaves Germany to control the majority of Europe and can make new EU rules that is detrimental to France. No-one cares if the Netherlands leaves or not.

Quick Reply

Latest