The Student Room Group

After finding out I have intersex conditions, should I transition ftm? Or not?

I'm just wanting some advice? My issue really is the reality of my situation. I mean I have always felt like a guy stuck in a woman's body. And I really am on the physical level a guy stuck in a woman's body. It's not even just in my head it's real life stuff. I found out through taking a test from ancestrydna that I have a y chromosome. I took my raw data from ancestrydna uploaded it on gedmatch and while it was uploading my data it said it was uploading an x chromosome a y chromosome and an x chromosome. I went back to ancestrydna and looked at my actual raw data then counted the results on the 24th result which is where the y chromosome is kept on ancestrydna raw data. I got 125 I think it's actually 127 I just overlooked 1 or 2 results. Well I google the first 2 results and got this website.

http://www.malacards.org/card/46xy_sex_reversal_1

So on my y chromosome I had 2 results from the website abover about sex reversal xy also known as swyer's syndrome. Well I went to my pcp today and after seeing all of this gave me three referrals to an endocrinologist geneticist and gynacologist. He says if it is the case it does mean I have that condition. But now I'm not surwe what I want to do if it is true.

I mean I have always felt like I didn't want to be a woman and that i wasn't a woman. I always felt like I was a gay guy. And I have always felt like it was weird that I am supposed to be a woman and felt stuck in a woman's body which I am. But socially no one is going to understand this. No friends co workers or anything this is going to come from left field basically.

Advice? What should I do if it is true?

Scroll to see replies

Being honest with you, I think you're going to struggle to find any reasoned, illuminating answers to this on TSR. It's rather a niche area!
Reply 2
Original post by Dmj23
I'm just wanting some advice? My issue really is the reality of my situation. I mean I have always felt like a guy stuck in a woman's body. And I really am on the physical level a guy stuck in a woman's body. It's not even just in my head it's real life stuff. I found out through taking a test from ancestrydna that I have a y chromosome. I took my raw data from ancestrydna uploaded it on gedmatch and while it was uploading my data it said it was uploading an x chromosome a y chromosome and an x chromosome. I went back to ancestrydna and looked at my actual raw data then counted the results on the 24th result which is where the y chromosome is kept on ancestrydna raw data. I got 125 I think it's actually 127 I just overlooked 1 or 2 results. Well I google the first 2 results and got this website.

So on my y chromosome I had 2 results from the website abover about sex reversal xy also known as swyer's syndrome. Well I went to my pcp today and after seeing all of this gave me three referrals to an endocrinologist geneticist and gynacologist. He says if it is the case it does mean I have that condition. But now I'm not surwe what I want to do if it is true.

I mean I have always felt like I didn't want to be a woman and that i wasn't a woman. I always felt like I was a gay guy. And I have always felt like it was weird that I am supposed to be a woman and felt stuck in a woman's body which I am. But socially no one is going to understand this. No friends co workers or anything this is going to come from left field basically.

AncestryDNA has been oncovered as unreliable and possibly fraudulent.

http://www.livescience.com/2084-dna-kits-secrets-scientific-scam.html

If you really can't be happy with who you are, though, JFDI.
Reply 3
Original post by Tootles
AncestryDNA has been oncovered as unreliable and possibly fraudulent.

http://www.livescience.com/2084-dna-kits-secrets-scientific-scam.html

If you really can't be happy with who you are, though, JFDI.

I already looked at websites like that and your own link said they give real data and accurate data as far as DNA. I'm not talking about the accuracy in ethnic background detection I'm talking about my real raw data that showed that I have two genes on my chromosome that had to do with Swyer's syndrome. So by your own link it says ancestrydna deals with the accurate chromosomes if that is true I have a y chromosome and sry abnormalities on that y chromosomes because this is not about ethnicity but my genome and the fact that I have a y chromosome which your link is agreeing to that being valid
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Being honest with you, I think you're going to struggle to find any reasoned, illuminating answers to this on TSR. It's rather a niche area!

Yeah maybe you're right.
you need to see a an actual real life Medical practitioner there are two/thee primary options

1. stop worrying about the intersex stuff and seek a GIC referral to transition - the genetic imfornation hasn;t changed your dysphoria and gender indetity concerns ...

2. seek a referral to some kind of genetic testing / counselling to see if you actually are Interesex

3. get a gynane referral to see what reproductive bits and peices you have ...
Original post by Dmj23
Yeah maybe you're right.

the usual problem is when the TERFs and butch homophobes / transphobes land and start advocating conversion therapy
Reply 7
Original post by zippyRN
you need to see a an actual real life Medical practitioner there are two/thee primary options

1. stop worrying about the intersex stuff and seek a GIC referral to transition - the genetic imfornation hasn;t changed your dysphoria and gender indetity concerns ...

2. seek a referral to some kind of genetic testing / counselling to see if you actually are Interesex

3. get a gynane referral to see what reproductive bits and peices you have ...

Well I already saw my PCP who was really surprised about the information and the lack of explanation ancestrydna gave. He referred me to an endocrinologist gynecologist and a geneticist. I believe I said this in the op. I had an ultrasound in the past twice due to uneven cycles I got everything normal I do have a smaller than average uterus but that's about it.
Reply 8
Original post by zippyRN
the usual problem is when the TERFs and butch homophobes / transphobes land and start advocating conversion therapy

I'm not homosexual or transgender though. Previous to this I was just a straight woman who was more of a tomboy than anything.
Original post by Dmj23
I'm not homosexual or transgender though. Previous to this I was just a straight woman who was more of a tomboy than anything.

and the relevance of your sexuality to this ? none what so ever

sexuality is about who you fancy

cisgender people don;t say things like " I mean I have always felt like a guy stuck in a woman's body."

you need to understand the difference between sex, sexuality and gender and then you need to understand your own gender identity.
Reply 10
You mentioned homophobes. Which is why I said I'm not gay.

Are you a guy? Because if you are and identify as one I'm pretty sure you would still feel you're a man if the sry genes on your y chromosome were mutated and rendered dysfunctional. You'd still be you just with the condition of swyer's syndrome. Which is what I am. I'm just a guy who was born with Swyer syndrome and karyotype of xxy. Without swyer's syndrome I'd be a man with klinefelter's syndrome they usually identify as male and I'm no exception. Just because my body didn't develop a penis doesn't mean my mind will not know I was supposed to have a penis.

Its like if this boy at birth has sex reassignment on his genitals he'd still know he was supposed to be a boy and probably feel trapped in a woman's body if he had been forced to take hormones as a kid to go through a female puberty. He'd still be a man underneath all of that and he'd still know it when he became an adult.

Whether he decided to transition to live as the man he was born to be would be up to him. I always knew I was not female since I was 12 despite being born with a vagina and ovaries that made me develop a feminine puberty because at conception I was male predominantly with an intersex combination of chromosomes xxy. If I would have just had xxy syndrome and that's it I'd have been male and maybe at puberty found out I had an extra x chromosome. But I would have been born with a penis and testicles and male reproductive parts and possibly could have been a fertile male if it would have been caught early.

But because I have swyer's syndrome it ruined all of that. Swyer's syndrome can feminized anyone's genitals xy swyer syndrome will also cause genetic male fetuses to develop female genitalia a uterus and cervix fallopian tubes and gonadal streaks. They are raised female as well.

So yes cismen if it happened to them I doubt would switch and identify as female just because their genitals were feminized. That's basically what happened to me. I'm not a genetic female I did not start out female at conception. I was male at first with an extra x chromosome. Pretty sure that's why I feel trapped in a woman's body because that's what I really am.

Original post by zippyRN

sexuality is about who you fancy

cisgender people don;t say things like " I mean I have always felt like a guy stuck in a woman's body."

you need to understand the difference between sex, sexuality and gender and then you need to understand your own gender identity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dmj23

I am not sure if I am getting this right...

firstly are you male or female?
secondly are you XY (so male chromosomes) or XXY?
Reply 12
Original post by Natalierm2707
I am not sure if I am getting this right...

firstly are you male or female?
secondly are you XY (so male chromosomes) or XXY?

I was born intersex. I am not biologically male or female.

I have xxy chromosomes. Which is male intersex. When I say male intersex I mean this genotype if fully functional leads to a male phenotype predominantly with intersex characteristics usually in like reduced fertility and maybe lack of puberty in more extreme cases. But people born xxy have klinefelter syndrome its associated with men mainly. If I only had a karyotype of xxy I would just practically be a regular man with an extra x chromosome. Sadly that wasn't it and I had abnormalities on my y chromosome related to swyer syndrome. I will leave links.
Reply 13
this is what I would have been if my Y chromosome would have been functional they live normal lives as men and can even havechildren with fertility treatment most of the time.

http://www.webmd.com/men/tc/klinefelter-syndrome-topic-overview#1

This is how all that got destroyed.

https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/swyer-syndrome/

the girl with precocious puberty had the same symptoms and development I had same age and everything. I don't know how it has to do with precocious puberty but I believe there's a commonality.
http://www.annclinlabsci.org/content/40/3/295.full.pdf

but yeah that's how I got this way...... If not for swyer syndrome Id have been phenotypically male.
Original post by zippyRN

It shouldn't be, but many people say it is if you want the NHS to pay for surgery: some of the gatekeepers have very traditional views on gender roles.

Speaking of surgery, outside mastectomy and hysterectomy, the ftm options are pretty crap.
Reply 15
Original post by unprinted
It shouldn't be, but many people say it is if you want the NHS to pay for surgery: some of the gatekeepers have very traditional views on gender roles.

Speaking of surgery, outside mastectomy and hysterectomy, the ftm options are pretty crap.

The tough thing is they're making it so hard for me to see a doctor for a genetic confirmation. I can't find a doctor that will do it with my insurance
Original post by unprinted

that's rubbish but if you want to the believe the exclusionists that's up to you .
Original post by Dmj23
The tough thing is they're making it so hard for me to see a doctor for a genetic confirmation. I can't find a doctor that will do it with my insurance

You're in the US?
Original post by zippyRN
that's rubbish but if you want to the believe the exclusionists that's up to you .

A variety of things mean I know Quite A Few people who either are or have sort gender reassignment surgery on the NHS and having to 'queer down' has been a common complaint.
Reply 19
First thing you should do is confirm that with a doctor (if it's something you want to know) as I can't believe a website would be accurate. But if you want to transition it's a personal decision and completely up to you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending