The Student Room Group

Psychology help!!!!

I just have a question on statistical analysis results
Would a non significant result mean I assume no correlation or would it mean I can't say if there's a correlation or no correlation?

I got a coefficient of 0.213 so I've said it's a weak non significant positive correlation ....is that correct ??? 🙁🙁🙁
Correlations aren't significant or not. They are judged on the strength using Pearson's R.

Small 0.10 Medium 0.30 Large 0.50

So there was a small effect noted is how you would write it up.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Correlations aren't significant or not. They are judged on the strength using Pearson's R.

Small 0.10 Medium 0.30 Large 0.50

So there was a small effect noted is how you would write it up.

I used spss and got a significance result too that i have to analyse for my correlation. And a lot of papers i have read have commented on significance too for their correlation? :/
You would report both effect size and p value associated. From what I can understand, .213 refers to the correlation coefficient as opposed to the p value right?
You would report both effect size and p value associated. From what I can understand, .213 refers to the correlation coefficient as opposed to the p value right?

yep .213 is the coefficient
the thing is that the result is not statistically significant so would this mean no correlation/relationship as the result is due to chance?
Original post by studentproblems2
the thing is that the result is not statistically significant so would this mean no correlation/relationship as the result is due to chance?

Exactly :smile:
Exactly :smile:

great! thank you !
Original post by studentproblems2

More technically, a non-signficant result could occur even if there is a real effect, it just tells you that the effect isn't strong enough to refute the hypothesis that observed correlation could have occured by chance (i.e. even in the population correlation is 0).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending