The Student Room Group

How the fudge can i revise for core and additional science in time for gcse?

hi,
i just wanted to know how can i revise for core and additional science as there is so much info to revise!
can you guys please share your science revision techniques?

Scroll to see replies

The struggle is real, I'm doing triple science so I have to revise core, additional and triple! I revise by making a timetable, but instead of using times, I use pages of my cgp revision guides. For example, I made a timetable before my mocks to do 7 pages of Biology and 7 pages of Chemistry one day, and do 7 pages of Physics and 7 pages of Chemistry the next, etc. Obviously, we've got 5 months so if you do 2 pages or 4 pages a day, I think you'd have time to go over core and additional science more than twice. I've also printed off the specs for my exam board and i highlight all the content that I know I can do confidently. I'm hoping to finish all of it by May. I personally like to revise by making notes in different colours and using different highlighters and then saying key points out loud without looking at my guide or notes to see if I have everything covered. Good Luck!
i wish i was doing double i have to do triple 9 EXAMS!!!!!!
Reply 3
Original post by kesha19
The struggle is real, I'm doing triple science so I have to revise core, additional and triple! I revise by making a timetable, but instead of using times, I use pages of my cgp revision guides. For example, I made a timetable before my mocks to do 7 pages of Biology and 7 pages of Chemistry one day, and do 7 pages of Physics and 7 pages of Chemistry the next, etc. Obviously, we've got 5 months so if you do 2 pages or 4 pages a day, I think you'd have time to go over core and additional science more than twice. I've also printed off the specs for my exam board and i highlight all the content that I know I can do confidently. I'm hoping to finish all of it by May. I personally like to revise by making notes in different colours and using different highlighters and then saying key points out loud without looking at my guide or notes to see if I have everything covered. Good Luck!

Thanks for the answer!
I have 3 exams this year, i sat my core in y10
so 3 exams of additional in y11
It's possible. I did OCR Triple Science last year and managed to pull it off getting AAA. You need to plan well, start revising as soon as possible.
Reply 6
Original post by dcencima

but you do get an extra gcse
Reply 7
Original post by rosie.mn
It's possible. I did OCR Triple Science last year and managed to pull it off getting AAA. You need to plan well, start revising as soon as possible.

thanks for the advice!
Well you're in a good position already if you've been paying attention in your lessons because at least then you understand the concept and part of what you need to know is already in your head. However, if like me, you have no clue what is going on in lessons and don't understand a thing and you're getting Ds and Es in end of topic tests and for predicted grades, then, it still shouldn't matter because I came out with A*A*A in the real thing (I did AQA's triple science).

All I did was, 2 weeks before my exams started (lol), I made notes on everything on the syllabus from one textbook for each subject and I made sure to understand what was going on. Then the night before each exam I made notes from the first set of notes and looked through the mark schemes of past papers and that was basically it.

I don't know about past papers for the new gcses and it might be that you don't revise by either just reading the textbook or reading from notes you make like I do, but if you do, it shouldn't be too hard. Don't stress too much :---)) try and do half your revision for mocks because it will save time and work when the real thing comes (even tho I didn't do any revision for mocks lol kms)
Reply 9
Original post by coonboy
hi,
i just wanted to know how can i revise for core and additional science as there is so much info to revise!
can you guys please share your science revision techniques?

I revised GCSE Chemistry and Biology hours before the exam (I do not recommend this). The content should not be too hard to understand, so I suggest you start off with making mind maps and flash cards of the core material. Look over these every day. As you get closer to the exam, keep going over the material, even if you understand it.

Don't skip or procrastinate like I did, and you'll be fine.:tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by catfanny
Well you're in a good position already if you've been paying attention in your lessons because at least then you understand the concept and part of what you need to know is already in your head. However, if like me, you have no clue what is going on in lessons and don't understand a thing and you're getting Ds and Es in end of topic tests and for predicted grades, then, it still shouldn't matter because I came out with A*A*A in the real thing (I did AQA's triple science).

All I did was, 2 weeks before my exams started (lol), I made notes on everything on the syllabus from one textbook for each subject and I made sure to understand what was going on. Then the night before each exam I made notes from the first set of notes and looked through the mark schemes of past papers and that was basically it.

I don't know about past papers for the new gcses and it might be that you don't revise by either just reading the textbook or reading from notes you make like I do, but if you do, it shouldn't be too hard. Don't stress too much :---)) try and do half your revision for mocks because it will save time and work when the real thing comes (even tho I didn't do any revision for mocks lol kms)

thanks for the advice!
Reply 11
Original post by Spratty
I revised GCSE Chemistry and Biology hours before the exam (I do not recommend this). The content should not be too hard to understand, so I suggest you start off with making mind maps and flash cards of the core material. Look over these every day. As you get closer to the exam, keep going over the material, even if you understand it.

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 12
do a couple of past papers for all units, find out your strengths and weaknessses. build on ur weaknesses, dont burn yourself out. do all of this from now, especially in xmas holidays. after you find all your weaknesses, revise them in detail but slowly. 2 months before ur exam do more past papers and answer questions from the text book.
Why revise when you can store it in your calculator?
Reply 14
Original post by Txhmid
do a couple of past papers for all units, find out your strengths and weaknessses. build on ur weaknesses, dont burn yourself out. do all of this from now, especially in xmas holidays. after you find all your weaknesses, revise them in detail but slowly. 2 months before ur exam do more past papers and answer questions from the text book.

Yep I'll try that.
Original post by dcencima

Ha ha I had to do this last year!:tongue: It's not really that bad!:smile:
Original post by Spratty

This is exactly what I did for bio chem and physics- revised 2 hours before the exam!:redface: OP, I do not recommend- it will either stress you out loads, or you just won't care anymore (like I didn't.):redface:
Work hasrd and consistently and you will be fine!x:biggrin:
100% do this for GCSE! Very effective and it is also a VERY good method for A level (especially sciences) as there is a lot of information to learn!:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
This is exactly what I did for bio chem and physics- revised 2 hours before the exam!:redface: OP, I do not recommend- it will either stress you out loads, or you just won't care anymore (like I didn't.):redface:
Work hasrd and consistently and you will be fine!x:biggrin:

Haha brilliant. I got 2 B's and an A in Physics
(Again OP, do NOT do this)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sunshine774
100% do this for GCSE! Very effective and it is also a VERY good method for A level (especially sciences) as there is a lot of information to learn!:smile:

i print out flashcards for science do u just reccomend copying out the main key points and make it bright and colourful

Quick Reply

Latest