The Student Room Group

A-Level choices for a future in Law

What do you think are the best A-level choices to study law? At the moment I'm thinking of History, French, Gov+Politics and Psychology. Is this ok?
Reply 1
There are no specific subjects for Law but they are good options.
Original post by Mazzy144
What do you think are the best A-level choices to study law? At the moment I'm thinking of History, French, Gov+Politics and Psychology. Is this ok?

They're good options. The best thing to do at A Level is the subjects you're honestly good at at GCSE. That translates to good A Level Grades and good universities. For Law it would be good to have 2 out of Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Further Maths, any language, Geography And Economics. One essay subject would be advisable, but people also get into the best law schools with none. The remaining 2 can be whatever you enjoy ( though try to only choose max one of something like PE, media, film, theatre etc.)
No specific subjects needed - but a relevant essay-based subject like Politics will be useful.

The most important thing is mega-high grades - so choose subjects where you feel the most confident of achieving this
(edited 7 years ago)
can't you do A-level law? or is it not offered?
Original post by AliceGeorgia

Even if it was offered for OP, it's best they not take it. Most unis advise to avoid taking A Level Law if you are thinking about a Law degree.

Not needed - or actually helpful (surprisingly).
Original post by returnmigrant
Not needed - or actually helpful (surprisingly).

yeah but this person might not have any experience with law and by taking it at A-level they can see if they wish to continue before they jump straight into a degree
yeah but this person might not have any experience with law and by taking it at A-level they can see if they wish to continue before they jump straight into a degree

Relevant work experience is actually far more useful in deciding this.
Relevant work experience is actually far more useful in deciding this.

won't work experience be more time consuming than taking it as a subject even if it's just for a year. plus A-levels are very hard especially with a job I know several people who have had to stop working because it's all too much
won't work experience be more time consuming than taking it as a subject even if it's just for a year. plus A-levels are very hard especially with a job I know several people who have had to stop working because it's all too much

A week shadowing a solicitor, some afternoons sat in the public gallery at the local court, some relevant voluntary work etc. That is what is meant by 'work experience'. Without that work experience, and the ability to reflect on that in your PS, an application for Law is unlikely to be successful.
A week shadowing a solicitor, some afternoons sat in the public gallery at the local court, some relevant voluntary work etc. That is what is meant by 'work experience'. Without that work experience, and the ability to reflect on that in your PS, an application for Law is unlikely to be successful.

a week of experience doesn't seem enough to base your future on personally
a week of experience doesn't seem enough to base your future on personally

Neither is an A level.
Neither is an A level.

but a year or two is better than a week.
Reply 14

No, its not offered.
Any essay-based subject like History, Politics, Sociology, Psychology etc is useful - if you are confident of a high grade.
Reply 16
It's useful to have two "facilitating subjects" for an RG uni, so History and French are great options. French A Level would also make LLB Law with French Law an option for you.
Original post by george_c00per
Even if it was offered for OP, it's best they not take it. Most unis advise to avoid taking A Level Law if you are thinking about a Law degree.

Can you link me to a universities that specifically advises to AVOID taking A level Law.

Most are clear that it's no advantage or disadvantage (and will prefer it taken with more traditional subjects) - I've never found a university that actively advised against it but I'm always happy to be corrected.

8% of LSE entrants for Law have A level Law (which has it on its list of "non-preferred subjects" that should be accompanied by 2 traditional subjects)
6% of UCL entrants (which has it on its list of preferred subjects)
6% of Oxford
8% Cambridge
11% Bristol
12% of Durham
etc etc

It's not the most common subject (but given that most entrants to many of these courses are from private schools where Law A level isn't offered that's not surprising).

Quick Reply

Latest