The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

3rd Year GKT medic here, anyone want to know stuff about uni life @ GKT and clinics then DM me :smile: (don't ask about MMI/UKCAT, haven't a clue)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1221
Original post by callummj6747
3rd Year GKT medic here, anyone want to know stuff about uni life @ GKT and clinics then DM me :smile: (don't ask about MMI/UKCAT, haven't a clue)

Posted from TSR Mobile

what were ur stats if you dont mind me asking? I think my ukcat 645 and band 3 is a real killer. i have got good academics, good ps, ref, work exp, - check out my post on my academics above, do u reckon i stand a chance of interview at kings?

can u give me a rough idea about the scores ur peers got, although you dont know much about ukcat
Original post by 11...
what were ur stats if you dont mind me asking? I think my ukcat 645 and band 3 is a real killer. i have got good academics, good ps, ref, work exp, - check out my post on my academics above, do u reckon i stand a chance of interview at kings?

can u give me a rough idea about the scores ur peers got, although you dont know much about ukcat

You're really getting worked up on this thread and others - just take it slow! I know it's uncomfortable waiting, but it'll pay off in the end! There are thousands of applicants to sift through until March...
Original post by 11...
loooooool
is 645 ukcat too risky then band 3???????
8A* 3A 2B
3a, b for AS
A*A*A B predicted A* in maths and chem. bio A, econ B
also predicted A in EPQ
good ps and reference
lots of relevant work experience and voluntary work.

i think my ukcat tripped me up a lot then. but kings looks at it hollistically so where is my interview

Be a little patient! If Kings wants to interview you, then you'll get an invite.

No one on here is on the admissions team so we can't really say which aspects of your application are good/bad. Band 3 typically has a little bit of trouble as far as I know and have read in FAQs but people with band 3 have been invited to interview before.
Reply 1224
Original post by 11...

Hey buddy, I've seen you posting in a couple threads now and the posts are looking really frazzled. If you want to talk to someone you can PM me so we can help calm your nerves off this thread.

No one really knows what admissions is thinking - but if you want comfort any of us can provide you that, but it's not going to be the most productive apart from calming your nerves short term.

Your stats can be terrible or amazing but if your reference and personal statements (in the admissions teams opinion) isn't strong, it doesn't matter what your experiences are. That's really the bottomline for this school.
Any international student here applied A100 had received an inivitaion??
Original post by LionHsu
Any international student here applied A100 had received an inivitaion??

A few of us already - if you go a few pages back, you should be able to find the posts. Our interviews are on Feb. 28.
Original post by neuralgal
A few of us already - if you go a few pages back, you should be able to find the posts. Our interviews are on Feb. 28.

WOW!! It seems means the others may get reject in the future?? So terrible!!
Original post by LionHsu
WOW!! It seems means the others may get reject in the future?? So terrible!!

People may also get interviews if spots open up. You never know.
Congrats to everyone who got interviews today!! :smile:

Seriously though, I have 753 band 1 on the UKCAT, they want a minimum of 666x in my national qualifications (A2 equivalent) and I've achieved 7777776 (EU applicant), everyone said that my ps was very well written and mature etc and I'm sure that my reference wasn't bad either... But I haven't heard back! Starting to get a bit impatient
I was quite impatient myself and in the day KCL started sending out their interviews I didn't do much else just kept checking the portal. Then I realised 2 things:

- If I keep doing this I will definitely hinder my chances for a good grade at A-levels, which then will result in rejection

- If we all think logically- KCL received several thousands of applications.
1. As a first step they might look at the UKCAT results and decide to definitely not look at applicants below a very low number. I doubt that many of the applicants would have very low numbers so they are still left with thousands of applications.
2. Then they might filter further on school results and predictions- again as they look at applications holistically they would discount people only with very unfavourable results.
3. Let's say they managed to reduce the applications by 40%- meaning they still have a couple of thousand of applications (sorry not sure about the number of applications).
4. Then they start doing the process of trading through all of these personal statements and references. How many people work in the admissions office reading these- 2-3? Now they have to go through each one- and I am certain they can't do it all day as their brain capacity is limited, too.
5. They probably read each one of them so that they have a balanced view across the 2-3 people.
6. Then maybe a single person who is ultimately accountable for the decision will read the Ines preselected by their colleagues. It might still be well over a thousand.
7. And bearing in mind that these people have other things to do, too.
8. Then they start to look at applications holistically.
9. Only then can they send out interviews.

Now, the above is just a hypothesis but I doubt they would have hundreds of people working in the admissions office or that they would just put us all in UKCAT order and invite us for interviews. They also have to do lots of checks in between, which all take time.
This is a very long process and I am certain that they want to make it as fair as possible.

All we can do is wait and respect their hard work. We had the opportunity to make our mark by providing as best information about ourselves as possible- now it's only up to them and we have very little influence. So why worry?

Of course I am still eager to hear back but just for your own sanity I would suggest focussing your energies on a-levels or something that adds value.
Original post by ArtScience
I was quite impatient myself and in the day KCL started sending out their interviews I didn't do much else just kept checking the portal. Then I realised 2 things:

- If I keep doing this I will definitely hinder my chances for a good grade at A-levels, which then will result in rejection

1. As a first step they might look at the UKCAT results and decide to definitely not look at applicants below a very low number. I doubt that many of the applicants would have very low numbers so they are still left with thousands of applications.
2. Then they might filter further on school results and predictions- again as they look at applications holistically they would discount people only with very unfavourable results.
3. Let's say they managed to reduce the applications by 40%- meaning they still have a couple of thousand of applications (sorry not sure about the number of applications).
4. Then they start doing the process of trading through all of these personal statements and references. How many people work in the admissions office reading these- 2-3? Now they have to go through each one- and I am certain they can't do it all day as their brain capacity is limited, too.
5. They probably read each one of them so that they have a balanced view across the 2-3 people.
6. Then maybe a single person who is ultimately accountable for the decision will read the Ines preselected by their colleagues. It might still be well over a thousand.

Now, the above is just a hypothesis but I doubt they would have hundreds of people working in the admissions office or that they would just put us all in UKCAT order and invite us for interviews. They also have to do lots of checks in between, which all take time.
This is a very long process and I am certain that they want to make it as fair as possible.

All we can do is wait and respect their hard work. We had the opportunity to make our mark by providing as best information about ourselves as possible- now it's only up to them and we have very little influence. So why worry?

Of course I am still eager to hear back but just for your own sanity I would suggest focussing your energies on a-levels or something that adds value.

Well said:smile:
Hope your A level revision goes well and don't forget to enjoy Christmas too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pantego
Well said:smile:
Hope your A level revision goes well and don't forget to enjoy Christmas too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :smile: You have a wonderful festive period, too! :smile:

Brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very well said! 😊
How many stations are there????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1236
Original post by rayrk
Hey buddy, I've seen you posting in a couple threads now and the posts are looking really frazzled. If you want to talk to someone you can PM me so we can help calm your nerves off this thread.

No one really knows what admissions is thinking - but if you want comfort any of us can provide you that, but it's not going to be the most productive apart from calming your nerves short term.

Your stats can be terrible or amazing but if your reference and personal statements (in the admissions teams opinion) isn't strong, it doesn't matter what your experiences are. That's really the bottomline for this school.

:smile: well said thanks
Reply 1237
I thought I'd got an interview and it was just a fee status questionnaire:frown: Did everyone get this?
Original post by Johncenaofficial
How many stations are there????

Posted from TSR Mobile

7 stations, each 7 minutes in length
Original post by Rifdhy
7 stations, each 7 minutes in length

Do u mind if I ask what each station was?
For example ethical, work experience etc....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending