The Student Room Group

Is discriminating against someone for what they believe wrong?

Poll

Is it Wrong?

Yes or No?

An example would be on religious believe (not on he basis someone is from a country with a certain religion as its main one), but what religion and therefore beliefs they have chosen to follow. Nobody makes them.

Political is also another

Or just general things who may totally disagree with someone on.

I ask this as this is something that is up to the individual person whereas where they are born isnt. Discrimination on that ground is wrong may I add before any libtards jump down my throat.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It depends on what it is they believe, and what you are assuming about them as a result. Your question is too vague.
It depends on the situation, too many variables
Reply 3
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
It depends on what it is they believe, and what you are assuming about them as a result. Your question is too vague.

Religious belief for example.

If you believe that someones beliefs, which are based on their religion (whichever religion that is), wrong and in some cases backwards and sickening, is it right or wrong?
It all depends. If their belief harms other people then I'd say it's more than fair to discriminate against them.
Original post by MeYou2Night
Yes or No?

An example would be on religious believe (not on he basis someone is from a country with a certain religion as its main one), but what religion and therefore beliefs they have chosen to follow. Nobody makes them.

Political is also another

Or just general things who may totally disagree with someone on.

I ask this as this is something that is up to the individual person whereas where they are born isnt. Discrimination on that ground is wrong may I add before any libtards jump down my throat.

It is illegal as religion is a protected characteristic under the Equalities Act.
Politics is not.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
It is illegal as religion is a protected characteristic under the Equalities Act.
Politics is not.

It may well be but that doesn't answer the question.
According to the discrimination act, it is wrong, but people still do it, they try to hide it.
IMO no, if someone believes backwards ass ****, I don't see why normal people should have to tiptoe around them.
If someone's a Nazi, I'm sure as hell not gonna treat them the same as a Quaker.
If someone believes I'm inferior for my (lack of) religious beliefs, I'm not gonna be nice to them lmao
Original post by MeYou2Night
It may well be but that doesn't answer the question.

Well doing something illegal tend to fall in the category of wrong.... Otherwise you could try probiding some actual detail.
Original post by Blackstarr
According to the discrimination act, it is wrong, but people still do it, they try to hide it.

That makes it illegal, not wrong

I.e - it used to be illegal to be homosexual but it definitely wasn't wrong is it?
way to vague and rather annoyingly so.

It really depends on the circumstances, Eg I will avoid dating religious girls because I am not religious and would not want to commit to a faith or belief I do not share. In fact if a girl is very left wing it might put me off because her politics annoys me. That is my choice and something I should have the freedom to choose.

However if we are talking about career opportunities eg university places/ Jobs Then Yes it is absolutely wrong to discriminate on these grounds. Unless their is a very specific reason as to why this is the case.

I would be disgusted and horrified If I or someone else got rejected from a university because of my political or religious views. Unless very specific circumstances

Eg I could understand and support a real White Supremacist Nazi been rejected from African studies etc. However I would not support if they were rejected from a Physics/English course. it is not relevant. I am an autistic Jew btw so obviously such a person would not like me, but until or unless they actually act hateful or aggressive towards me they should not be restricted from opportunities because of those beliefs.

Now if it is a specific JOB with political or ideological ambitions which your beliefs are directly against then sure that is a real issue. For example if I was a religious person who strongly opposed Homosexuality, and I chose to apply for a job at a gay rights organisation then I would say they were within their rights to reject me on those grounds.

If however I was applying for a position at a bakery or bank I would say it would be wrong to refuse me employment on those grounds until or unless I actually acted homophobic to customers.
I don't think there's anything wrong with demonising someone who wants to kill all Jews.
No, you choose what you believe. You don't choose your ethnicity

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's wrong to discriminate against someone based on what you assume they believe, which usually turns out to be the case in situations of discrimination.

It is wrong to discriminate against a Christian (for an example) because when you hear of which religion he/she follows, you assume that they are a hardcore Evangelical who is homophobic. That's why there are laws against that. Besides, religion is usually indoctrinated since childhood, sometimes involving instilling fear and shame it isn't the same as so many other choices that people make.
i mean being pro genocide and pro chips cheese and gravy are two different things so it's had to say without context
Reply 16
Yeh

people can think whatever they want, if they aren't discriminating anyone then what right do you have to discriminate them?

bit hypocritical don't you think?
Nice show of liberal tolerance in this thread.
Original post by Underscore__
No, you choose what you believe. You don't choose your ethnicity

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it okay to discriminate against fatties? I mean they chose to eat a lot and get fat.
Objectively no it's not wrong, but objectively there is no right and wrong to begin with.

Quick Reply

Latest