The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by bigbattygal
Do you have a source?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/the-refugee-crisis-could-actually-be-a-boon-for-germany/2015/09/09/6c824c44-56e8-11e5-9f54-1ea23f6e02f3_story.html?utm_term=.e514ea633cba

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people don't think that anyway, saying that liberals believe this is another bs narrative the alt right made up.

You can dig up old threads on TSR and will see that many people said that in September 2015.

I'd rather have refugees than a lazy brit scrounging off benefits, money which partly comes from immigrants since immigrants pay more in taxes than take in benefits.

It is certainly not a universal rule. Some migrants pay more in tax than they receive in benefits, but not all of them. Being a migrant doesn't make someone more valuable than a native. An American trader working in the City covers the expenses of a hundred of benefit scroungers from Somalia, because, yes, many benefit scroungers come from Third World countries.

Considering that only 10% of Syrian refugees are university graduates and that 2/3 can barely read and write, it is obvious that the economic benefit of welcoming large number of Syrians is null.
Source: http://www.zeit.de/2015/47/integration-fluechtlinge-schule-bildung-herausforderung
"it turns out that around two-thirds of asylum seekers from war countries have no vocational qualification."

Did you read the article? There is no mention or claim that they are high skilled workers. Even in the title it says "could", because people can be trained.

Original post by Josb

You can dig up old threads on TSR and will see that many people said that in September 2015.

I doubt this is true, the burden of proof is on you.

Original post by Josb

It is certainly not a universal rule
. Some migrants pay more in tax than they receive in benefits, but not all of them. Being a migrant doesn't make someone more valuable than a native. An American trader working in the City covers the expenses of a hundred of benefit scroungers from Somalia, because, yes, many benefit scroungers come from Third World countries.

It is a universal rule. The fiscal impact of immigration in the UK is positive. And there are also many benefit scroungers born in the UK. A Chinese trader covers the expense of a hundred benefit scroungers from Yorkshire. What's your point? Shall we kick the lazy brits out?

Original post by Josb

Considering that only 10% of Syrian refugees are university graduates and that 2/3 can barely read and write, it is obvious that the economic benefit of welcoming large number of Syrians is null.
Source: http://www.zeit.de/2015/47/integration-fluechtlinge-schule-bildung-herausforderung
"it turns out that around two-thirds of asylum seekers from war countries have no vocational qualification."

As I said, no one is claiming that they're high skilled. They're escaping war. They're still better than the lazy brits who have wasted the opportunity that our outstanding education system.
Reply 82
Did you read the article? There is no mention or claim that they are high skilled workers. Even in the title it says "could", because people can be trained.

Can you even read?
"Couple that with that fact that many of the asylum seekers especially Syrians are highly educated or skilled workers and include doctors, engineers and architects. And suddenly, for Germany, some say, what initially seems like a crisis becomes something else."

I doubt this is true, the burden of proof is on you.

I'm not going to bother digging up old threads.

It is a universal rule. The fiscal impact of immigration in the UK is positive. And there are also many benefit scroungers born in the UK. A Chinese trader covers the expense of a hundred benefit scroungers from Yorkshire. What's your point? Shall we kick the lazy brits out?

The fact that there are native scroungers is not an excuse to import foreign ones. Only migrants that will have a positive contribution should be allowed.

As I said, no one is claiming that they're high skilled. They're escaping war. They're still better than the lazy brits who have wasted the opportunity that our outstanding education system.

Yeah, unemployed people can't find jobs because they're "lazy". :rolleyes:
Original post by Josb
Can you even read?
"Couple that with that fact that many of the asylum seekers especially Syrians are highly educated or skilled workers and include doctors, engineers and architects. And suddenly, for Germany, some say, what initially seems like a crisis becomes something else."

I'm not going to bother digging up old threads.

Ironically, there are educated syrians fleeing the war. So unless you're suggesting that this claim is false (even though you even said 10% are uni educated) im not sure what youre trying to say here. The article is purely suggestive.

There's really no point sourcing a year old article because in terms of the syrian crisis that was a long time ago and we all know that the whole crisis hasnt been massively beneficial.

Original post by Josb

The fact that there are native scroungers is not an excuse to import foreign ones. Only migrants that will have a positive contribution should be allowed.

How are we to assess who will have a positive contribution or not? Because there are many eastern european workers who arent particularly skilled and are in employment doing jobs that brits dont want to do.

I am in agreement with you though, we can't have too many immigrants that don't contribute positively. But it's worth noting that only like a small fraction of total benefit claimants are foreigners and many of this is due to short term unemployment.

Original post by Josb
Yeah, unemployed people can't find jobs because they're "lazy". :rolleyes:

It helps if they actually go out there and apply for jobs. You have to face the reality. The welfare state has made people lazy.
Durr DERP durr DERP!
Reply 85
Ironically, there are educated syrians fleeing the war. So unless you're suggesting that this claim is false (even though you even said 10% are uni educated) im not sure what youre trying to say here. The article is purely suggestive.

There's really no point sourcing a year old article because in terms of the syrian crisis that was a long time ago and we all know that the whole crisis hasnt been massively beneficial.

I linked to a year old article because you asked for evidence that pro refugees said that Syrians were highly qualified.

How are we to assess who will have a positive contribution or not? Because there are many eastern european workers who arent particularly skilled and are in employment doing jobs that brits dont want to do.

I am in agreement with you though, we can't have too many immigrants that don't contribute positively. But it's worth noting that only like a small fraction of total benefit claimants are foreigners and many of this is due to short term unemployment.

They must have secured a well paid job (above the median salary) before coming here.

Natives don't want to do menial jobs because they are not paid enough. If we stopped importing cheap labour, then employers would have to offer better salaries to these jobs, therefore attracting natives, who would not have to live on the dole any longer.

It helps if they actually go out there and apply for jobs. You have to face the reality. The welfare state has made people lazy.

So, if we abolish the welfare state there will be no more unemployment?
Original post by Josb
I linked to a year old article because you asked for evidence that pro refugees said that Syrians were highly qualified.

They didn't say they all were, nor did they say that their sole value to this country was skill.

Original post by Josb

They must have secured a well paid job (above the median salary) before coming here.

Natives don't want to do menial jobs because they are not paid enough. If we stopped importing cheap labour, then employers would have to offer better salaries to these jobs, therefore attracting natives, who would not have to live on the dole any longer.

That's harsh, maybe they're leaving because there isn't jobs in their home country, e.g. an youth from Spain with a degree but how will they get a job when the unemployment rate is like 40%. And a point based system doesnt work.

Natives don't get to dictate how much employers pay them. Either way, it's better than scrounging off benefits.

Natives had a fantastic education system and they failed to capitalise on it. They shouldn't have the audacity to complain that wages are too low when they're lacking in skills.

Original post by Josb
So, if we abolish the welfare state there will be no more unemployment?

Not abolishing it, but certainly some form of reform so that people dont just see it as an alternative to working
Don't you sometimes think that maybe the problem is with the attitude that some Brittons bring along themselves into a workplace? I cannot speak for all the people out there and I'm sure not all of them are as such but so far haven't seen many of them putting an effort into their work. It's like they are there just to pass the time the usual way and get paid for it whilst some immigrants do the same job to a highest standard and not a single complaint. Of course, there are plenty of immigrants who are also not very keen to work etc.

On top of that, my job pays me almost £10 per hour (it's a physical job involving you on your feet 8 hours a day lifting weights up to 20 kg). Yet, the ones usually applying for a job here are not native. I would even apply for such job if it was a minimum wage because a job is a job and much better than doing nothing but doubt that someone who is native would have the same thinking as I do.

I'm not generalising anyone :tongue: I have a native friend who works hard and puts up with a lot of crap :h: But some of you need to pull your head out of your butts and maybe start changing your attitude :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ManmoreAlpha
Why is the Remain camp saying that leavers worrying about immigrants "taking our jobs" is racist?I work as a PT and dont worry about Europeans coming in to replace me. However, there aren't enough low skilled jobs in the UK

http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2015/05/29/the-scandal-of-demonising-the-unemployed-when-there-arent-enough-jobs/
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dont-just-call-young-people-4205233

There are vacancies in things like nursing but not everyone can train to be a nurse.

Why cant this country have jobs for its own people first? Uncontrolled immigration (letting in EU people with no jobs) means its harder for working class British people to find work. People on benefits, or younger people with no work experience. Also, some employers are crooked and hire people from Eastern Europe who they pay under the minimum wage, or make them work illegal hours bc they dont know their rights.

If someone who isn't from this country and in many cases can't speak English fluently or at all can get a job over you, then to be brutally honest, you must be pretty bad to not get those jobs.

They can hardly speak English, they are not raised here so know very little compared to you about the country and things you need to know about it and they can still get a job over you?

I'm sorry but you cannot seriously complain without picking yourself, and looking at what on Earth is wrong with you. You must be seriously terrible to not get that job. Either that or these people are just flat out lazy.
Original post by Napp
This post is 3 years old...

oooooooooooohhhhhhh scary
Reply 92
Original post by Nalk1573
oooooooooooohhhhhhh scary

What are you 10?
At any rate look at the thread before bumping it.
Reply 93
You're not qualified enough for the jobs or just lazy?

Latest

Trending

Trending