The Student Room Group

Muslim, Christian Londoners donate 10 TONNES of food to homeless people

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/thousands-of-muslims-donate-10-tonnes-of-food-to-help-homeless-londoners-a7481256.html

Muslim Londoners, working together with local schools, universities and churches, have donated 10 tonnes of food to help homeless people this Christmas.

The donations will now be given to local people in need, including those who are living on the streets. More than 90 per cent of the food will be given to people who are not of the Muslim faith.

Leaders of other religious groups in the community also attended to show their support. Christian Reverend Gary Bradley was among those who backed the drive, saying it was an example of people from “all faiths working together for a common humanity”.

What a great thing to do. Multiple faiths coming together to donate and improve the world is great to see.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/thousands-of-muslims-donate-10-tonnes-of-food-to-help-homeless-londoners-a7481256.html

Muslim Londoners have donated 10 tonnes of food to help homeless people this Christmas.

The donations will now be given to local people in need, including those who are living on the streets. More than 90 per cent of the food will be given to people who are not of the Muslim faith.

Leaders of other religious groups in the community also attended to show their support. Christian Reverend Gary Bradley was among those who backed the drive, saying it was an example of people from “all faiths working together for a common humanity”.

What a great thing to do. Multiple faiths coming together to donate and improve the world is great to see.

These kinds of religious people are GOOD VERY GOOD, wish i could what they could.
Don't see why mentioning faith is important.

People of all religions, or lack of, donate food all the time. We had schemes like this like 20 years ago when I was a kid in primary school.

(Btw yes, it's lovely this happened - woo goo Muslims of London, but what else are we supposed to say on this thread)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by hezzlington

People of all religions, or lack of, donate food all the time. We had schemes like this like 20 years ago when I was a kid in primary school.

(Btw yes, it's lovely this happened - woo goo Muslims of London, but what else are we supposed to say on this thread)

Yes of course, but this article was especially interesting to me because it was such a huge amount- I mean 10 tonnes! And it happened because Muslims and Christians worked together.

I think it's because some people say Muslims only help out other Muslims etc. So perhaps just show to that they do help others? Idk.

But you're right, people donate food all the time and it's always good to see no matter what their faith is.
Original post by Trapz99
Yes of course, but this article was especially interesting to me because it was such a huge amount- I mean 10 tonnes! And it happened because Muslims and Christians worked together.

Muslims and christians working together is nothing new. But yes, it's always nice to hear about.
Meanwhile, the Jewish community...

What a lovely thing to do :smile:
Original post by Lord Samosa
I think it's because some people say Muslims only help out other Muslims etc. So perhaps just show to that they do help others? Idk.

But you're right, people donate food all the time and it's always good to see no matter what their faith is.

Hmm I guess so.

Yeah but when there's a terrorist attack let's bring faith in.

The double standards are real.
Original post by bigbattygal
Yeah but when there's a terrorist attack let's bring faith in.

The double standards are real.

Well because the majority of the time terrorist attacks are motivated by some interpetation of a belief system. So yes, faith is relevant there.
Well because the majority of the time terrorist attacks are motivated by some interpetation of a belief system. So yes, faith is relevant there.

Charity is also represented in the Islamic faith. it is something that is highly emphasised and Zakat is a compulsory part of islam

Christians and muslims have also been motivated by their religion to give selflessly to those in need.

People like you always see the bad side, I rest my case.
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Charity is also represented in the Islamic faith. it is something that is highly emphasised and Zakat is a compulsory part of islam

So...you're saying they are only donating because their faith tells them to, and not out of the goodness of their hearts?
Christians and muslims have also been motivated by their religion to give selflessly to those in need.

People like you always see the bad side, I rest my case.

How does religion motivate one to donate to charity? Why can't people donate to charity because they want to, and not have to be told to?
How does religion motivate one to donate to charity? Why can't people donate to charity because they want to, and not have to be told to?

So it is okay if some Muslim kills some person but labelled as 'terrorist' but when Quran says to do charity and stuff like that you like sweeping it under the carpet..

Of course it motivates what percentage to give? No Muslim would not know that without hadiths at least 2.5 per cent so when people do give at least that amount they are clearly following Islam
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ineedtorevise127
So it is okay if some Muslim kills some person but labelled as 'terrorist' but when Quran says to do charity and stuff like that you like sweeping it under the carpet..

Of course it motivates what percentage to give? No Muslim would not know that without hadiths at least 2.5 per cent so when people do give at least that amount they are clearly following Islam

@Plantagenet Crown wanna get this one or shall i
@Plantagenet Crown wanna get this one or shall i

"wanna spew islamophobic rubbish or shall i" ****ing mentally ill ****
"wanna spew islamophobic rubbish or shall i" ****ing mentally ill ****

Now, now. Let's be nice to eachother.

Why did you feel terrorism was relevant btw? I certainly didn't mention it. I wasn't trying to take anything away from the lovely gesture as well.

Tbf people brought up with a poor sense of morality won't be charitable, religion can help to teach that to those who wouldn't get it otherwise (though it depends on interpretation of course).

Reminds me when in secondary school (CoE school), I was Atheist and you had a few people who would basically be dumbfounded at me because they'd say "so you don't believe in anything after death? Life is just pointless? There's no ultimate consequence?" "Nope" "Then why bother being nice? Why not just be totally amoral and just kill and rape and do whatever you want to anyone because after all nothing matters."

....literally you walk away in fear, only their fear of punishment from God stops them from being monsters, this is obviously a minority but it's still concerning.

Still nice to see charitable acts from any organisation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending