The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you guys fancy living on the dole?

I might. Finding a decent job is so hard these days let alone a great one.

Scroll to see replies

God no.
If I was ever put on the dole for more than 6 months I would pray that someone put a bullet in my head. It's such a worthless existence and the longer you're on it, the lazier you get, whilst costing the taxpayer money as well. Hopefully we look at introducing labour schemes (like during the Nazi times - and no I don't condone Hitlers policies about Jews and whatnot, but he had some good ideas so deal with it) where people were put into work and given the benefits and communal housing, so you can earn the money you are given as opposed to watching Jeremy Kyle all day. Do the same with police force training and other jobs that can I still discipline into you, whilst creating more jobs for the same benefits before becoming fully qualified and putting back into the system. Also, I think everyone should pay back, over time, what they took when they were on the dole, as long as they can afford to of course
Define 'decent job'. A lot of jobs might seem horrible now, like cleaning work or driving a trash truck, but they're still jobs that you can put on your CV so that you can get a job that you actually want. So I would say that they are 'decent'.

Also, benefits might seem great now, but the government are cracking down on them, and you might find it quite unpleasant dealing with benefits organisations soon.(and rightfully so imo. If you have no legitimate reason for not becoming employed, i.e. a medical reason, or your area actually having no jobs at all to offer somehow(doubt it), then you don't deserve benefits. Especially if you're deliberately staying on the benefits system because you don't want the jobs that are going. That's just laziness. I think the government needs to be even stricter with people who are just staying on the dole because they don't want the jobs in their area. A job is a job, and every job counts for something)

And no, before someone rants at me, I am most certainly not a middle-class citizen(that seems to be the insult I see mostly thrown around whenever anybody starts this argument). I have a job in a cafe, mostly doing cleaning work. It's not what I want to do in the long-term, but it pays, and I can put it on my CV for when I eventually apply for a job that I want in the field of IT.
Reply 4
Original post by Jazzyboy
Define 'decent job'. A lot of jobs might seem horrible now, like cleaning work or driving a trash truck, but they're still jobs that you can put on your CV so that you can get a job that you actually want. So I would say that they are 'decent'.

Also, benefits might seem great now, but the government are cracking down on them, and you might find it quite unpleasant dealing with benefits organisations soon.(and rightfully so imo. If you have no legitimate reason for not becoming employed, i.e. a medical reason, or your area actually having no jobs at all to offer somehow(doubt it), then you don't deserve benefits. Especially if you're deliberately staying on the benefits system because you don't want the jobs that are going. That's just laziness. I think the government needs to be even stricter with people who are just staying on the dole because they don't want the jobs in their area. A job is a job, and every job counts for something)

And no, before someone rants at me, I am most certainly not a middle-class citizen(that seems to be the insult I see mostly thrown around whenever anybody starts this argument). I have a job in a cafe, mostly doing cleaning work. It's not what I want to do in the long-term, but it pays, and I can put it on my CV for when I eventually apply for a job that I want in the field of IT.

The decent jobs you talked of in the first paragraph the type I am referring to!
I'd need something fulfilling to fill the time with, and those sorts of things tend to cost money so I'd be better off having a job to fill the time instead.

Original post by That'sGreat
Also, I think everyone should pay back, over time, what they took when they were on the dole, as long as they can afford to of course

Isn't that literally what happens when their income is taxed once they have a job?
Original post by Fake News
I might. Finding a decent job is so hard these days let alone a great one.

Been unemployed before. It's not all it's cracked up to be. Don't do it
what exactly do you mean dole?

You can't get on benefits just because you walk through the doors, stop making it seem like you can. There are qualifications. People have been denied, hence homelessness.

If you want something to supplement your wages, then they will see if you can get income support.

If you're fine but need someplace to live, they will see if you can get housing assistance

If you're fine but have kids they will proportion your benefits to your situation and the number of kids, if you work, your pay, and their ages and yours

If you're fine financially but are disabled you might definitely get help with that

If you need a job there's support for that as well

Etc

You can't just "get on dole."

Lol lemme calm down :fan:
(edited 7 years ago)
The problem is, people think work like cleaning bins and scrubbing toilets is below them, but by refusing these jobs and staying on the dole they are the looser of the low. Even behind homeless people who aren't given the luxury of a flat or money for food. Then, when hard working immigrants come along to do the work, going on to pay back into the system, no matter how small it is, these same benefit scroungers start complaining the jobs have been taken by immigrants. The immigrants take either the low level jobs like cleaners or the top jobs like doctors, you barely ever see one in middle management do you? It's the British people being lazy and we should be making them work for their benefits, as I said, so the labour scheme so they get some experience and can work for their money.
I would rather lose all my teeth than my sole income being benefits of any kind. :lolwut:
@Seamus123 this thread might not be here in the morning because me suspects a troll has made it, but what do you think mate? lol
When I got divorced, the oldest of my 7 children was 12 and the youngest six months old. This was in 1983. The only benefits available then were supplementary benefit (income support), and Unemployment Benefit (the dole). No Tax Credits, no Working Family Tax Credits. Full time job or dole.
No child care help from the State for the number of children I had. We lived on Child maintenance from my ex husband and Family Allowance (Child Benefit).
If you got a job, your benefits would stop immediately cease the same day, no run on payments, etc.
So I would get up at 5 am, walk into the local town which took ten minutes, clean Barclays Bank, walk across to the Halifax clean that, home by 7 am. My neighbour listened for the kids till I got home, her hubby was a big man so up at 5. Kids up for school, school just along the road, and then home again. Took in ironing for the local professionals, doctors, teachers, lawyers.
I didn't do this work out of choice - I did it to fit around my family. I was brought up in care so had no extended family to help out with childcare. One of the local women had a sandwich shop. Her son was at the local grammar and a talented musician. Sunday mornings I would take the two youngest and clean her shop and in return her son taught 4 of mine piano (the rest were tone deaf).
I do think nowadays that a lot of people see the dole as a lifestyle, whereas it should just be a stop gap, but from people I know who are on the dole, the process isn't as easy as the media imply.
In this time as opposed to the early 80s, for a family the size of mine, I think perhaps living on the dole/benefits might be a tad easier. One of the advantages, if you can call it that, was that if you were a lone parent on benefits, you didn't have to go to work until your child was 16 and of school leaving age, now the government expect you to go to work even before the child reaches compulsory school age. I was able to be at home with my children.
Original post by 0to100

If you're fine financially but are disabled you might definitely get help with that

:fan:

He would need to prove that he is always available for work sometimes.

Anyway being employed is over rated. Its proven ridiculously hard to get a job, and then you tend to be held to ransom over your job when you do get one. Need s sick day? Need to drive to work but face a driving ban? Unrealistic targets to hit? Its all crap. If you're on the dole you got nothing to lose, just make sure you dont get sanctioned. You can mitigate the risk of sanctions in many ways I wont go into here.

Being unemployed may well result in being a bit skint. But at least you have plenty of the most precious resources of them all, TIME.
Original post by Laomedeia

Being unemployed may well result in being a bit skint. But at least you have plenty of the most precious resources of them all, TIME.

Apart from when they send you on courses and expect you to do 35 hours of job seacrhes per week.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Apart from when they send you on courses and expect you to do 35 hours of job seacrhes per week.

Never heard of that. When I was on the dole back in 2010, I had to do 3 or 4 different things per week. I usually just applied for jobs online and lied about the rest. I managed to get a job in the end but god knows how I managed it. Pure luck I think (they were desperate for someone to start strait away and I was very keen at the time).

I thought people were just required to look for work with proof of applications and other job seeking activities.
Original post by Laomedeia
Never heard of that. When I was on the dole back in 2010, I had to do 3 or 4 different things per week. I usually just applied for jobs online and lied about the rest. I managed to get a job in the end but god knows how I managed it. Pure luck I think (they were desperate for someone to start strait away and I was very keen at the time).

I thought people were just required to look for work with proof of applications and other job seeking activities.

It's changed now.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's changed now.

Not being funny but no it's not love. Let's just say I know some people (:rofl:) who have been on jsa/going to job centre more recently than 2010 who are put on mandatory search. I think it's circumstantial though. It's getting stricter these days, like you get sanctioned for being late 10 minutes like :colonhash: Get your money stopped for weeks.
Original post by Seamus123
When I got divorced, the oldest of my 7 children was 12 and the youngest six months old. This was in 1983. The only benefits available then were supplementary benefit (income support), and Unemployment Benefit (the dole). No Tax Credits, no Working Family Tax Credits. Full time job or dole.
No child care help from the State for the number of children I had. We lived on Child maintenance from my ex husband and Family Allowance (Child Benefit).
If you got a job, your benefits would stop immediately cease the same day, no run on payments, etc.
So I would get up at 5 am, walk into the local town which took ten minutes, clean Barclays Bank, walk across to the Halifax clean that, home by 7 am. My neighbour listened for the kids till I got home, her hubby was a big man so up at 5. Kids up for school, school just along the road, and then home again. Took in ironing for the local professionals, doctors, teachers, lawyers.
I didn't do this work out of choice - I did it to fit around my family. I was brought up in care so had no extended family to help out with childcare. One of the local women had a sandwich shop. Her son was at the local grammar and a talented musician. Sunday mornings I would take the two youngest and clean her shop and in return her son taught 4 of mine piano (the rest were tone deaf).
I do think nowadays that a lot of people see the dole as a lifestyle, whereas it should just be a stop gap, but from people I know who are on the dole, the process isn't as easy as the media imply.
In this time as opposed to the early 80s, for a family the size of mine, I think perhaps living on the dole/benefits might be a tad easier. One of the advantages, if you can call it that, was that if you were a lone parent on benefits, you didn't have to go to work until your child was 16 and of school leaving age, now the government expect you to go to work even before the child reaches compulsory school age. I was able to be at home with my children.

wtf even is this story
I agree, I''d be happy with free money but the amount you get n the dole is not enough to fulfill the life style I want
Original post by 0to100
Not being funny but no it's not love. Let's just say I know some people (:rofl:) who have been on jsa/going to job centre more recently than 2010 who are put on mandatory search. I think it's circumstantial though. It's getting stricter these days, like you get sanctioned for being late 10 minutes like :colonhash: Get your money stopped for weeks.

Except it has changed a lot.

Thankfully, I'm not on jsa anymore. Even in 2012 they were strict.

Latest

Trending

Trending