The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE Grades good enough for Medicine?

I am currently in Year 12 and I am studying Biology,Chemistry,Maths and Psychology.In my GCSEs I got 6A*s,3As and 2Bs.Are these grades good enough for Medicine?
Also which universities should I be aiming for with these grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most likely.

Any university will be happy to have you if you do well in your A-levels. :smile:
Original post by tessa w
I am currently in Year 12 and I am studying Biology,Chemistry,Maths and Psychology.In my GCSEs I got 6A*s,3As and 2Bs.Are these grades good enough for Medicine?

With those GCSEs even Cambridge would accept you. But make sure u meet or exceed their A-Level requirements
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Michiyo
Most likely.

Any university will be happy to have you if you do well in your A-levels. :smile:

Thankyou for the advice!:smile:
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
With those GCSEs even Cambridge would accept you. But make sure u meet or exceed their A-Level requirements

Thankyou for the advice.:smile:
Original post by tessa w
Thankyou for the advice.:smile:

U r welcome :smile:
Original post by tessa w

The above posters are incorrect. You need to avoid a handful of unis that are very GCSE heavy, for example Oxford.

Most universities are still very much open to you though.
Each Uni will have different grade requirements for GCSEs. Check carefully. The most common reason for early rejection is not having the right grades. Remember that most schools/colleges will let you retake essential GCSEs like English and Maths to achieve a higher grade if you need to, and that most Unis will still accept this,

Also, its isnt just about grades. Medicine is crazily competitive. You will be up against thousands (yes, thousands) of other people with the same or better grades. Your Personal Statement, and the way you write it, are critical.

Lots of info and advice about applying for Medicine here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Original post by nexttime
The above posters are incorrect. You need to avoid a handful of unis that are very GCSE heavy, for example Oxford.

Most universities are still very much open to you though.

Thankyou for your advice.If you don't mind,can you advice me on which universitites i should avoid?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Each Uni will have different grade requirements for GCSEs. Check carefully. The most common reason for early rejection is not having the right grades. Remember that most schools/colleges will let you retake essential GCSEs like English and Maths to achieve a higher grade if you need to, and that most Unis will still accept this,

Also, its isnt just about grades. Medicine is crazily competitive. You will be up against thousands (yes, thousands) of other people with the same or better grades. Your Personal Statement, and the way you write it, are critical.

Lots of info and advice about applying for Medicine here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Thankyou for your advice.
I got 4 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs. Is that good enough for any medical school if I do well in A Levels?
Original post by AnALevelStudent
I got 4 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs. Is that good enough for any medical school if I do well in A Levels?

Same answer as above :

Lots of info and advice about applying for Medicine here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine"
Original post by tessa w

It depends on the unis you apply to. Generally you have very good GCSE grades and you would exceed the expectations of almost all unis however I would still avoid some GCSE heavy unis that expect like 7A*s or something (like Oxford, Cardiff, Edinburgh etc.). I'm not saying you cannot get in but what I am saying is competition will be very tough in those unis.

Congrats on your GCSEs though, they're very good!
Original post by Omarmanutd
It depends on the unis you apply to. Generally you have very good GCSE grades and you would exceed the expectations of almost all unis however I would still avoid some GCSE heavy unis that expect like 7A*s or something (like Oxford, Cardiff, Edinburgh etc.). I'm not saying you cannot get in but what I am saying is competition will be very tough in those unis.

Congrats on your GCSEs though, they're very good!

Thankyou for your advice.:smile:
One more question:
I moved from a different country with a completely different education system at the end of Year 10, due to which i had missed half of what was taught for GCSEs..Also one of the B grades is in Textiles which I didnt select but was given because no other course had a place.I had never done Textiles previously and wasnt very intrested in it.

Do you this will make my application stronger?Is it worth mentioning this in my personal statement?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tessa w
One more question:
I moved from a different country with a completely different education system at the end of Year 10, due to which i had missed half of what was thought for GCSEs..Also one of the B grades is in Textiles which I didnt select but was given because no other course had a place.I had never done Textiles previously and wasnt very intrested in it.

Do you this will make my application stronger?Is it worth mentioning this in my personal statement?

This is totally up to the discretion of each Uni.

If you have the required A level grades/predictions, have the equivalent of Maths and English GCSEs at A grade (or are prepared to now do them alongside A levels to get A grades) they will sometimes give your previous circumstances consideration and ignore/not require the full set of A grades. You need to email each potential Uni individually with full details of all your existing qualifications etc and brief details of why you moved countries and when. The decision is very much up to each Uni. Do this before you apply.
Original post by returnmigrant
This is totally up to the discretion of each Uni.

If you have the required A level grades/predictions, have the equivalent of Maths and English GCSEs at A grade (or are prepared to now do them alongside A levels to get A grades) they will sometimes give your previous circumstances consideration and ignore/not require the full set of A grades. You need to email each potential Uni individually with full details of all your existing qualifications etc and brief details of why you moved countries and when. The decision is very much up to each Uni. Do this before you apply.

Thankyou:smile:
I got an A* in Maths and A in English.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by tessa w

Your GCSE's are good enough. A-Levels and UKCAT/BMAT also matter don't forget about them.
Original post by S2M
Your GCSE's are good enough. A-Levels and UKCAT/BMAT also matter don't forget about them.

Yeah Thankyou for your advice :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by tessa w
Yeah Thankyou for your advice :smile:

Your welcome. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending