The Student Room Group

FP3 Stuck on quick question

Probably a stupid question, but why is the range of values of x for which the expansion is valid -1/2 < x < 1/2?

http://prntscr.com/dknt6h

Reply 1
Original post by Chickenslayer69
Probably a stupid question, but why is the range of values of x for which the expansion is valid -1/2 < x < 1/2?

http://prntscr.com/dknt6h

Do you know that the expansion of ln(1+x)\ln(1+x) is valid for 1<x1 -1 < x \leq 1? If not: the proof is likely out of your grasp at the moment, but it should be a given result.

Any, then the expansion of ln(1+2x)\ln(1+ 2x) is valid for 1<2x1-1 < 2x \leq 1 and the expansion of ln(12x)\ln(1-2x) valid for 1<2x1-1 < -2x \leq 1.

Since you're taking the product of those two series, you need the interval of validity (known as the radius of convergence) to satisfy both of the above inequalities, i.e 12<x12-\frac{1}{2} < x \leq \frac{1}{2} and 12x<12-\frac{1}{2} \leq x < \frac{1}{2}. From which you get the required result.
Original post by Zacken
Do you know that the expansion of ln(1+x)\ln(1+x) is valid for 1<x1 -1 < x \leq 1? If not: the proof is likely out of your grasp at the moment, but it should be a given result.

Any, then the expansion of ln(1+2x)\ln(1+ 2x) is valid for 1<2x1-1 < 2x \leq 1 and the expansion of ln(12x)\ln(1-2x) valid for 1<2x1-1 < -2x \leq 1.

Since you're taking the product of those two series, you need the interval of validity (known as the radius of convergence) to satisfy both of the above inequalities, i.e 12<x12-\frac{1}{2} < x \leq \frac{1}{2} and 12x<12-\frac{1}{2} \leq x < \frac{1}{2}. From which you get the required result.

Yeah I knew it was something to do with that but I got confused with why less than was used and not less than or equal to. I know nothing about the last paragraph you wrote so I guess I should look that up, haha. Thanks.

Edit: Looking at it now it's easy to understand, not sure why I was confused, haha. Thanks :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Chickenslayer69
Edit: Looking at it now it's easy to understand, not sure why I was confused, haha. Thanks :smile:

Glad you understand. :smile:
Original post by Zacken

Since you're taking the product of those two series, you need the interval of validity (known as the radius of convergence) to satisfy both of the above inequalities,

It's the sum of the series, no?
Reply 5
Original post by atsruser
It's the sum of the series, no?

Oh yes, my bad. I misread it as two seperate logarithms, didn't see it was all encapsulated in one log.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest