The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saba XD
No, you're right. I'm not Chinese lol.

But he may have assumed you were chinese because you work there. Hence the "I'm English" comment.
Reply 61
/r/talesfromretail

Just read a few posts from there, and you'll see the kinda s*** you'll have to deal with it. Just don't take it personally and move on. Remember, the customer is always right.
Reply 62
Original post by 999tigger
Overreacting. Pancake roll is just another name for a spring roll. All Chinese takeaways do them. I am aware of the potential difference in wrapper i.e won ton v the thicker pancake wrapper), but it tends to mean a spring roll.

He was just being difficult and irritable. Your challenge is to be able to deal with difficult customers and calm them down. People cna be rude, but you need to do your job and not let it affect you.

Thank you. I have never ordered Chinese food in my life. I really didn't know that pancake roll and spring roll meant the same thing. This actually was very helpful. That is why he was saying that 'it is my fault for being English, right?'. I was born in UK but I never came across this before.
Reply 63
Original post by Cave Felem
I work in retail in a big supermarket and I've learned that you can't take these things personally. People are rude, though it's no reflection on you at all. When you work you're just a human front for your business, rather than 'you'. You need to learn to separate the two mind frames in each environment in order to stop work abuse from taking its toll on you. There's nothing you can do to stop the tide of rude customers, so you'll just have to try to adjust your mentality at work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I need to work on that. :redface:
Welcome to customer service - people aren't always the nicest.
Reply 65
Original post by cbreef
But he may have assumed you were chinese because you work there. Hence the "I'm English" comment.

I guess he meant that because I didn't know that pancake roll and spring roll is the same thing but different terms. If he said spring roll then I would have said that 'yes, we do them' and then given him the options.
Reply 66
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You can be racist based on an accent. I dunno if that's what actually happened, but it's possible.

I actually have a British accent. London.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Conventionally one would put a hyphen between "rude" and "ass" in the title, so it doesn't look like the rude customer was literally an ass or was shopping for asses.

Got it. Sorry. :lol:

Original post by 0to100
saba must have an apparent asian accent then

I don't. :rofl:

Original post by S2M
It's because your a kind and naive person. This world will chew you up and spit you out if your always going to be nice and kind. I learned that the hard way.

Yeah, I even say sorry if someone stepped on my shoe. :emo:
Reply 67
Original post by 0zzu
/r/talesfromretail

Just read a few posts from there, and you'll see the kinda s*** you'll have to deal with it. Just don't take it personally and move on. Remember, the customer is always right.

I hope that was sarcasm. :lol:
Original post by samina_ay
Welcome to customer service - people aren't always the nicest.

I have worked in customer service before in different places. Never came across such attitude. :redface:
Reply 68
Original post by Saba XD
I actually have a British accent. London.

Got it. Sorry. :lol:

I don't. :rofl:

Yeah, I even say sorry if someone stepped on my shoe. :emo:

No offence your worse than me. You need to be more cold I mean someone else stepped on your shoe your supposed to make them say sorry to you not the other way around!
Reply 69
Original post by S2M
No offence your worse than me. You need to be more cold I mean someone else stepped on your shoe your supposed to make them say sorry to you not the other way around!

I know but I have been like this all my life. It is hard to change. Lol, if there was a course to be confident or 'stand up for yourself', I'd take it. :lol:
Original post by Saba XD
Thank you. I have never ordered Chinese food in my life. I really didn't know that pancake roll and spring roll meant the same thing. This actually was very helpful. That is why he was saying that 'it is my fault for being English, right?'. I was born in UK but I never came across this before.

Thats what will have annoyed him. For him it would have irritated as its one of the most common and popular items. If you arent sure then ask the other assistant, but you should really learn the items you sell. You need to know your products. You probably only sell one type, its just egg or pancake rolls are thicker pastry than spring rolls.

Take a menu home and familiarise yourself with the basic dishes . A few weeks and you will see what the popular items are.

Egg Rolls
Very popular in the west although not eaten in China, egg rolls are a larger, bulkier version of Spring rolls. They are normally filled with barbecued pork or shrimp - vegetables can include cabbage, celery, suey choy, and/or bean sprouts.
Spring Rolls
A lighter, more delicate version of egg rolls, made with a flour and water wrapper (no egg). Like egg rolls, spring rolls are deep-fried.
Reply 71
Original post by Saba XD
I know but I have been like this all my life. It is hard to change. Lol, if there was a course to be confident or 'stand up for yourself', I'd take it. :lol:

Lmao that's true I would go too! :smile: Try to change it is hard but you don't want to end up being hurt because of our nature or being too trustful.
Big ****ing deal. Not a reason to cry because he said pancake instead of chicken rolls
I'm so weird, when I used to work the phones at my old job I used to love it when customers were rude to me :rofl: Just so amusing for some reason.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to be rude to people who are about to prepare your food.
You have to remember the first rule of customer service - the customer is always right.
Reply 75
Original post by 999tigger
Thats what will have annoyed him. For him it would have irritated as its one of the most common and popular items. If you arent sure then ask the other assistant, but you should really learn the items you sell. You need to know your products. You probably only sell one type, its just egg or pancake rolls are thicker pastry than spring rolls.

Take a menu home and familiarise yourself with the basic dishes . A few weeks and you will see what the popular items are.

Egg Rolls
Very popular in the west although not eaten in China, egg rolls are a larger, bulkier version of Spring rolls. They are normally filled with barbecued pork or shrimp - vegetables can include cabbage, celery, suey choy, and/or bean sprouts.
Spring Rolls
A lighter, more delicate version of egg rolls, made with a flour and water wrapper (no egg). Like egg rolls, spring rolls are deep-fried.

I actually was misguided by my colleague. He said to me in the beginning that we don't do pancake rolls. I would have to correct him on Monday that we actually do pancake rolls as that is the same as spring rolls. I have only been there 3 days now. I hope it doesn't take long to get used to it.

Thank you for the info though. Means a lot. PRSOM. :yy:
Reply 76
Original post by S2M
Lmao that's true I would go too! :smile: Try to change it is hard but you don't want to end up being hurt because of our nature or being too trustful.

Same. But, it happens everytime. I say I'll change but it is always back to square one. :lol:

Original post by Jimmy Carr
I'm so weird, when I used to work the phones at my old job I used to love it when customers were rude to me :rofl: Just so amusing for some reason.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to be rude to people who are about to prepare your food.

That is weird. I guess your brain is wired in a different way than mine or most people. :rofl: But, you're unique, you don't take things to heart, I suppose. :h:

That is an excellent point to make. :lol:
Reply 77
Original post by That'sGreat
Big ****ing deal. Not a reason to cry because he said pancake instead of chicken rolls

I didn't cry because of that, obviously. :colonhash:
Reply 78
Original post by Len Goodman
You have to remember the first rule of customer service - the customer is always right.

Not true. :emo:
Original post by Saba XD
I actually was misguided by my colleague. He said to me in the beginning that we don't do pancake rolls. I would have to correct him on Monday that we actually do pancake rolls as that is the same as spring rolls. I have only been there 3 days now. I hope it doesn't take long to get used to it.

Thank you for the info though. Means a lot. PRSOM. :yy:

Read this article if you wish to be correct. There is soemthing called a spirng roll and something different called an egg/pancake roll. The latter have a thicker pastry because it contains egg.

Your customer probably wouldnt know that difference and would think there was only one type.

You can see the difference here.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/is-a-spring-roll-different-from-an-egg-roll.html