The Student Room Group

Help on university choices

Hi all 😊

I am looking to begin university in 2018 after a few years out of education. I am really looking forward to it but I am really torn between two of the universities I have applied for.

I really don't want to go to one of them and wish I had chosen the other, especially as it would mean reapplying and waiting another year to go to university (and I'll already be older than a lot of first year students).

Would love some advice on which to choose 😊

University Choice Number 1:
Nice modern campus
Great facilities (library, technology etc)
Course modules would prepare me well for the industry and there is more choice in final year for modules compared with other university.
A scheme where second years meet regularly with first years to help and give advice about the course and the work
Study abroad option
I get the impression that graduates from this university go onto better jobs within my chosen industry after university than other university
Only an hour or so away from home

University Choice Number 2:
Great campus with a mix of modern and older buildings
Good facilities (library, technology etc)
Beautiful city to live in
Better accommodation
I would prefer the course modules of this university more (also has the option to study a language module and has a compulsory module geared towards careers and employment within the industry)
Smaller class sizes
Double the contact hours of university choice 1 (meaning more lectures which would be good)
Lots of graduates go on to employment in the industry but get the impression that students from university choice 1 go on to have better jobs
3-4 hour journey from home
Higher in league tables for chosen course
Better atmosphere on the university open day

Aside from the course the universities both offer a great student life with loads of sports, societies and other opportunities to get involved in.

Overall both universities are great which is why it is so hard to make a decision! I feel that I should choose choice 1 because of future employment prospects but choice 2 I absolutely love and I feel that as long as I put the work in and get lots of work experience (both universities offer paid work placements) I could succeed.

Your help would be much appreciated

Thanks!
Reply 1
University choice 2 reads better
Original post by UniStudent2017
Hi all 😊

I am looking to begin university in 2018 after a few years out of education. I am really looking forward to it but I am really torn between two of the universities I have applied for.

I really don't want to go to one of them and wish I had chosen the other, especially as it would mean reapplying and waiting another year to go to university (and I'll already be older than a lot of first year students).

Would love some advice on which to choose 😊

University Choice Number 1:
Nice modern campus
Great facilities (library, technology etc)
Course modules would prepare me well for the industry and there is more choice in final year for modules compared with other university.
A scheme where second years meet regularly with first years to help and give advice about the course and the work
Study abroad option
I get the impression that graduates from this university go onto better jobs within my chosen industry after university than other university
Only an hour or so away from home

University Choice Number 2:
Great campus with a mix of modern and older buildings
Good facilities (library, technology etc)
Beautiful city to live in
Better accommodation
I would prefer the course modules of this university more (also has the option to study a language module and has a compulsory module geared towards careers and employment within the industry)
Smaller class sizes
Double the contact hours of university choice 1 (meaning more lectures which would be good)
Lots of graduates go on to employment in the industry but get the impression that students from university choice 1 go on to have better jobs
3-4 hour journey from home
Higher in league tables for chosen course
Better atmosphere on the university open day

Aside from the course the universities both offer a great student life with loads of sports, societies and other opportunities to get involved in.

Overall both universities are great which is why it is so hard to make a decision! I feel that I should choose choice 1 because of future employment prospects but choice 2 I absolutely love and I feel that as long as I put the work in and get lots of work experience (both universities offer paid work placements) I could succeed.

Your help would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Its all that matters league tables are everything and ignore everything else. :colone:
Reply 3
Flip a coin.

If you do, and you feel like you wished it was the other option, go with that one.

If you're relieved (or indifferent) about what it landed on, then stay with that.
Original post by Luke7456
Its all that matters league tables are everything and ignore everything else. :colone:

I know looking at the league tables is an important element when choosing a university but for me this is only a minor point as uni choice 2 is only two places higher on the tables relevant to my chosen course of study.
Original post by loooopppyyy
I had two similar options and went for number 1, just finished my first term and couldnt be happier.

If you're just following league table, bare in mind that some mid table Universities are really low on research, but high on student happiness. I wouldn't really worry about the research side of things for undergrad, if your planning on taking your masters/phd you can always switch Uni's after you graduated.

Thanks for the advice 😊 What were the main factors that helped you decide to go to your current university?

And I can see where you are coming from, in all honesty I am not paying too much attention to the league tables for these universities as course wise there are only a few places between them.

And that's a good point about student happiness, I've just looked into this and it turns out that option 2 is much higher than option 1 in the national student survey for student satisfaction (although I suppose this depends on what course you study etc).
Original post by UniStudent2017
I know looking at the league tables is an important element when choosing a university but for me this is only a minor point as uni choice 2 is only two places higher on the tables relevant to my chosen course of study.

I was been a little bit silly league tables are more important then most give them credit for but yeah they are not everything. Firstly ignore the guardian league table at all costs that one is nonsense.

Times high education guide and the complete university guide are alright sources.

I break it down into top 5 category A top
top 8 category B
top 12 category C
top 20 category D
top 30 category E
top 40 category F
top 50 category G

though this is not like A level grades I mean going to a top 12 is not average etc though Cs are not really average they are perceived to be but you get my point.

if two universities are in the same category then you should be more focused on type of course teaching structure experience campus etc

if its one category of difference that is a big deal However I would not rule out going down a category if other stuff was exceptionally better.

If two categories of difference Nope no way going to the top one.

two places does not sound significant to me.
Original post by loooopppyyy
People go to University for different reasons, if you want to do masters/phd then go for ranking, if you want a good placement (taking off about 2-3 years of advancing through graduate jobs) then go for a University with a good placement system and focuses on work related skills.

Some of the top 10 ranked Universities for employment/placements are mid table ranked overall...

Good point, however prestige does help in the job market.
Number 2 sounds best personally

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending