The Student Room Group

BTEC Health and Social care level 3 extended diploma

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I'm in the same position as you tbh, I'm torn between early childhood studies and primary education. I understand it can be difficult because if you do early childhood studies you will most likely work with 0-5 year olds in nurseries. But to work with 5 year olds in primary schools you would need a QTS which is earned by doing a degree in (primary) Education. Doing a degree in children's nursing and then a PGCE afterwards is possible but I heard its difficult.
My advice would be to go with the flow for now because throughout the 2 years you would probably change your mind quite a lot just like my friend and I. And also as you get the opportunities to do around 4 placements you might end up deciding that it's not right for you.

I would love to do Children's Nursing. But I can't decide weather I want to do that or Early Childhood Studies. Whatever I do I want it to be with children! I'm hoping once I start in Sept it'll help me decide... But, I wanted to know which way to go about so I know what uni course to focus on choose. And I wanted to know. If I do Children's Nursing as my main degree can I just go a PGCE in teaching to get the QTS? Because I heard you can by that route. But not sure if Children's Nursing applied to it? So wanted to know beforehand I'm just so stuck 😩
I've done Level 1, Childcare. Level 2 Childcsre and I have a Award in Childcare and I also have Level 2 Support Teaching and I have Level 2 in Control and Prevention of infection. :frown:
Hi.so this will open the doors for you to access a degree. It's great really. As it cover children and adults.
Hi I have done my level 2 qcf in health and social care .I am thinking of doing level 3 .will I have to start all again or do I just have to add information on.
Original post by charsti
Hello I am currently on my second year studying the extended diploma btec in health and social care. I have completed around 140 hours of placement in my first year, but this year I am really not enjoying my placement so I just quit going. The specification says that I need to complete 200 hours overall. I was wondering what happens if you stop attending placement? Will I fail the course and have wasted 2 years??.

Thanks

Hi,if you quit your placement,then your college will tell you that you need to find your own placement to make up the rest of the hours,so you can get your 200 hours of work experience.
Original post by Wendy halett
Hi I have done my level 2 qcf in health and social care .I am thinking of doing level 3 .will I have to start all again or do I just have to add information on.

Hi,I dont believe you will have to start again,but you would have to include more detailed information in order to obtain your pass,merit or distinction grade. The level 3 includes most of the units you would have completed in Level 2,so it is a good transistion and you will have extra knowledge. Good Luck!

P.s. I LOVED doing my BTEC health and social care level 3! :smile:
Original post by Wendy halett

No, you'll have some units similar in your level 3 if you done level 2 - so you'll have the basic knowledge and skills. But Level 3 is a lot more intense but it's been great so far I'm enjoying it an it is easy enough
Reply 46
Original post by Akane123
Hey :smile:
I have applied to do BTEC Health and social care level 3 extended diploma in September. I was going to apply to do A levels, but my Uncle advised me to do BTEC as it is less pressure.
I was just wondering, what can you do at University with this BTEC?
I'm might want to do Child Psychology or teaching, but what are the degrees you can do with this BTEC??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
:wink: xx

Basically everything has been said! But I do want to comment on the BTEC is less pressure.

I do BTEC Health and Social Care diploma (2 a-level equivalent) at level 3, as well as A-Level Biology, and so far health and social is considerably more stress and pressure! It is not uncommon for me to have three separate pieces of coursework due in within a day of each other. There are exams now too - I will sit mine in May/June.

This is not to put you off at all, as it is an enjoyable course and well worth doing, I just wanted to pre-warn you that the common expectations are often wrong!

Best of luck :smile:
Original post by EmEmTheFairy
Hi!

I am due to finish this course end of May/beginning of June, so I will give you an idea of what you can do with it based on what the people on my course who are going to uni are doing as a degree:

Adult nursing
Mental health nursing
Children's nursing
Childhood studies
Psychology
Sociology
Working with Children, Young People and Families
Early Years Teaching / Primary School Teaching

Previous students from last year went on to do some of the above and the following:
Health studies
Occupational therapy
Criminology
Radiography

And there is also Social Work, which I will be studying next year (hopefully if I get the grades!).

There's plenty to choose from, and you get to do placements whilst on the course so that can help you to see which area you're more interested in.

Just a note for you; a BTEC is not all fun and games. They have changed the marking scheme so you now only get one attempt to pass an assignment and I think they are implementing exams as of next year. I think this is due to the ongoing A Level vs BTEC debate.

Good luck! Let me know if you go on to do the course and which degree you decide to do at uni if you figure you would like to go :smile:

hi, just wondering about the student who went to do radiography. how much do you know about their application? can you link me to them, im in the same situation and have been rejected by Derby becasue i dont have enough science content after i had called to ask about it before applying, a waste i know, however im in a really tight position rn as i feel like my other unis will reject me because of my course. would really appreciate anything you know.
x
Original post by Akane123
Hey :smile:
I have applied to do BTEC Health and social care level 3 extended diploma in September. I was going to apply to do A levels, but my Uncle advised me to do BTEC as it is less pressure.
I was just wondering, what can you do at University with this BTEC?
I'm might want to do Child Psychology or teaching, but what are the degrees you can do with this BTEC??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
:wink: xx

On enrolment day on my current BTEC course, I asked this very question and they said in uni that I could go into anything i wanted even if i didn't want to to Health and social anymore. That's what my college said anyway. I did As Levels but they weren't for me and found BTEC a lot easier x
When you say they could do anything, what do you mean by that?

I know that you can go into nursing, midwifery and social work but that is all I heard.

@kelseydee123
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by futurechildnurse
Hi,I dont believe you will have to start again,but you would have to include more detailed information in order to obtain your pass,merit or distinction grade. The level 3 includes most of the units you would have completed in Level 2,so it is a good transistion and you will have extra knowledge. Good Luck!

P.s. I LOVED doing my BTEC health and social care level 3! :smile:

What sort of paid jobs can you do with the level 3 BTEC?

Do you have any idea?

I am currently trying to plan my gap year
Original post by Blackstarr
What sort of paid jobs can you do with the level 3 BTEC?

Do you have any idea?

I am currently trying to plan my gap year

Hi,

You can have many different jobs with the level 3 btec quaification,including: healthcare assistant,support worker,carer and many others.
please could you send me your email and be able to help me on the psychological perspectives.
I'm currently doing Level 3 health and social care and i'm really struggling with the unit 11 psychological perspectives assignment i was wondering if anyone could help i really need it :frown:
Original post by Lanilooblade
I'm currently doing Level 3 health and social care and i'm really struggling with the unit 11 psychological perspectives assignment i was wondering if anyone could help i really need it :frown:

Hey I'm doing unit 11 but that's got to do with safeguarding adults?
Reply 55
My daughter doing level 3 health and social care but is struggling to get a placement will she fail the course because of covid she done everything else she rings places they say no to covid restrictions our she not 18 her tutor then told the class of 25 they will fail 4 have a placement
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest