The Student Room Group

Further Maths GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OwlOfFire
It would be difficult to get in contact with the exam board and enter just one student, it's all probably just too much hassle for them.

Once they have identified exactly which course it is (AQA Level 2 certificate in Further Mathematics 8360) then it is only a couple of minutes work to find the base data and enter someone. They then might have to provide invigilation just for the OP - it takes place when the GCSEs are pretty much over so if the school doesn't have a 6th form he could be on his own - but the difficulty of making the entry is not a consideration.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ally-mai
Is there a particular reason you don't rate it?

Yes - it is a strange mixture of topics which aren''t really linked in any way.

If you really want to take Maths/F Maths A levels then go for the 9 - the number awarded is going to be capped and far fewer than A*s.

You are better off reading widely rather than take this qualification. [I teach maths and prepare students for top unis every year]

Do your teachers have access to the AQA teachers site as they are some additional resources for it if you are determined.

[By the way it's not a GCSE it's technically a level 2]
What do you mean by your first question? The exam board is AQA.

Hi sorry to disturb you , could you please send paper 3 with the mark scheme.

Just want to see how well I did.

I will truly be grateful , thanks.:smile:

Thank you very much!
Original post by james345999
Hi sorry to disturb you , could you please send paper 3 with the mark scheme.!

There are only 2 papers.
My target is a 9 (I'm the first year of the new numbers system in Maths and English), which is supposedly equivalent to an A**. The last mock I did in the old system was in Year 9 (they made me sit in with the Year 11s) and I got a B, so I'm confident I'll get at least the equivalent of at least an A when I take my exam for real.

Hi sorry to disturb you , could you please send paper 3 with the mark scheme.

Just want to see how well I did.

I will truly be grateful , thanks.

Thank you very much!
Original post by AdHominem
Myself and five others self-taught GCSE Further Maths between the end of January and June of this year. It is certainly challenging and I suggest you only do it if you are actually very good at maths. There are many complicated concepts and unless you are sure you can do it then do not do it. What are your reasons behind wanting to study this qualification? If you're thinking that universities will look particularly favourably upon it then I am afraid you are slightly mistaken. Apart from a maths degree, your admissions tutors will hardly take any notice of it.

Although, if you're capable of achieving the 'super A* (A** / A^) then do it. Trigonometric identities, matrices, the factor theorem and differentiation may prove to be easy for you. Focus on GCSE maths, then this. It should not be a priority.

Would it not matter? I intend to apply for mathematics and economics at LSE, Warwick, UCL and economics at Cambridge. They all require a high standard of level maths. I am unsure so please you could advise if it will give me an advantage or not really. My school is making does ALOT of maths. At this end of this year I will have done 5 maths qualifications. ( Methods and applications o f maths, Further maths level 2 qualification, Statistics and the New GCSE). I am aim to get the top grade in all of them.( All ready got A* in methods and application)
Original post by fleky6910
Would it not matter? I intend to apply for mathematics and economics at LSE, Warwick, UCL and economics at Cambridge. They all require a high standard of level maths. I am unsure so please you could advise if it will give me an advantage or not really. My school is making does ALOT of maths. At this end of this year I will have done 5 maths qualifications. ( Methods and applications o f maths, Further maths level 2 qualification, Statistics and the New GCSE). I am aim to get the top grade in all of them.( All ready got A* in methods and application)

The GCSE itself will make little of any difference but it is good preparation for some of the A level content and is worth it just for that.
Further Maths GCSE is a weird qualification, but I really enjoyed it. If you're capable of getting an 8/9 in GCSE maths then id definitely try and do it, as I think it'll help with A Level (it's helped me, but I'm on old spec).

Would you be capable of teaching it yourself? Have you experienced self-teaching already? I'm only asking because some of the concepts are relatively complex (angle between two planes would be an example) so I'd just worry whether you'd be able to make sense of it on your own.

As for not having a teacher that's taught it before, neither did my school. However any teacher that can teach A Level should be able to teach it, so just recommend they look through the spec and make a decision :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest