The Student Room Group

What are your aspirations for the end of A levels?

With the first term of AS coming to an end, I'm sure everyone has formed opinions of their current areas of study and are moving towards thinking about what their end goal will be for the end of these 2 years. (If you're not, don't worry!)
To motivate others and just start a general discussion, what are your ASPIRATIONS?
1) what a levels do you take?
2) how are you finding them?
3) what grades are you looking to get? (AS/A2)
4) what do you hope to do after you finish? (dream university, dream course or even dream job)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by rosie.mn
With the first term of AS coming to an end, I'm sure everyone has formed opinions of their current areas of study and are moving towards thinking about what their end goal will be for the end of these 2 years. (If you're not, don't worry!)
To motivate others and just start a general discussion, what are your ASPIRATIONS?
4) what do you hope to do after you finish? (dream university, dream course or even dream job)

1) Physics, Computer science, History.
2) Physics is quite hard but the rest are pretty easy.
3)A*AA or AAA
4)University hopefully Birmingham or Oxford if im lucky :biggrin:, career as either an airline pilot or a financial trader not too sure about that.

1) Maths, Physics, and Chemistry (year 13)
2) Pretty good, but a fair bit harder than AS.
3) A*A*A* but I'd be fine with AAA
4) Not sure yet, I've applied for university as well as a degree apprenticeship, but I'm also considering a gap year. Will probably end up studying Physics though.

How about you? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RS012
1) Physics, Computer science, History.
2) Physics is quite hard but the rest are pretty easy.
3)A*AA or AAA
4)University hopefully Birmingham or Oxford if im lucky :biggrin:, career as either an airline pilot or a financial trader not too sure about that.

Nice! How are you finding History? I'm currently procrastinating my 30 mark source essay by asking people their aspirations to find some motivation to finish my final extract..
Reply 4
1. I take History, English Literature and Religious Studies. (Plus, I'm doing an EPQ.)
2. I find them all moderately easy, except History.
3. My predictions are A*A*AA, so I would like to achieve this as a minimum target.
4. I applied to study English this year, but I'm still undecided if I will accept any offers; I might do a gap year.

1) Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology
2) Pretty good so far :smile: Finding Biology the hardest but hopefully this will improve
3) Only doing AS exams in Maths and FM but AA in them both, and then possibly A*A*AA overall.
4) No clue so I need more work experience but I'm looking at Medicine or something more Maths-based. Would love to study at Oxford though :love:
Reply 6
Original post by DarkEnergy
1) Maths, Physics, and Chemistry (year 13)
2) Pretty good, but a fair bit harder than AS.
3) A*A*A* but I'd be fine with AAA
4) Not sure yet, I've applied for university as well as a degree apprenticeship, but I'm also considering a gap year. Will probably end up studying Physics though.

How about you? :smile:

Ah nice! I envy people doing science and maths, never was my strong suit but I always found Physics the most interesting science.
1) History, English Literature, Politics and Philosophy (year 12)
2) Alright to be honest. I'm doing really well grade wise, but Philosophy is definitely a lot harder than my other subjects to master exam technique wise. Overall, I'm enjoying A levels, but sometimes the workload can be very intense doing 4 essay based subjects (and EPQ after Christmas)
3) A*A*A*A, but like you I would be happy with all A's.
4) I want to do History and Politics at University, and hope to apply for Cambridge next year. I like the look of Warwick and Kings too!
-

It's great that you already have an idea of what course you want to do, good luck with year 12.
Reply 8
Original post by surina16
1) Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology
2) Pretty good so far :smile: Finding Biology the hardest but hopefully this will improve
3) Only doing AS exams in Maths and FM but AA in them both, and then possibly A*A*AA overall.
4) No clue so I need more work experience but I'm looking at Medicine or something more Maths-based. Would love to study at Oxford though :love:

I'm doing 2 AS exams too this year! Good luck!
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (year 13)
To anyone who isn't liking AS Chem, I didn't like it around about this time but I ended up loving it and applied for straight chem at all my unis.
I originally wanted to do physics & maths at the start of sixth form. I decided on Chemistry very late (start of year 13) but I'm happy with my decision. I can't do physics lol :colondollar:
Managed to get AAAA at AS and hoping for A*A*AA (maybe 4A* if I work insanely hard) for A2 with A*s in Chem & Maths.
Found physics the hardest at AS and I found chem & fm roughly the same difficulty with maths being the easiest for me.
Now at A2 I still find physics the hardest (but its not really a big jump from AS which is the same for maths & chem).
But I feel a massive jump from AS further maths to A2 further maths definitely! FP2 & FP3 are hard. :angry: I have to practice A LOT more.
Hear back Jan 11 and fingers crossed for an Oxford offer :redface: I really enjoyed my few days there and found the interviews kinda enjoyable I must admit. I never really thought I had stood much of a chance before I applied.
I honestly don't know what I want to do when I'm older. I just can't wait for uni!
Reply 10
Original post by Pentaquark

Hi there, you said you'd had an interview from Oxford, congratulations and I wish you all the best with getting your offer! I have a question, I am contemplating whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, I prefer Cambridge I think from what I've read and I'm visiting next year. But, I want to keep my options open. However, comparative to other prospective students I'm unsure my GCSE grades are high enough (I've heard Oxford do look at GCSES quite a bit). I was wondering what you got at GCSE? if you don't mind me asking.
Reply 11
Original post by Pentaquark
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (year 13)
To anyone who isn't liking AS Chem, I didn't like it around about this time but I ended up loving it and applied for straight chem at all my unis.
I originally wanted to do physics & maths at the start of sixth form. I decided on Chemistry very late (start of year 13) but I'm happy with my decision. I can't do physics lol :colondollar:
Managed to get AAAA at AS and hoping for A*A*AA (maybe 4A* if I work insanely hard) for A2 with A*s in Chem & Maths.
Found physics the hardest at AS and I found chem & fm roughly the same difficulty with maths being the easiest for me.
Now at A2 I still find physics the hardest (but its not really a big jump from AS which is the same for maths & chem).
But I feel a massive jump from AS further maths to A2 further maths definitely! FP2 & FP3 are hard. :angry: I have to practice A LOT more.
Hear back Jan 11 and fingers crossed for an Oxford offer :redface: I really enjoyed my few days there and found the interviews kinda enjoyable I must admit. I never really thought I had stood much of a chance before I applied.
I honestly don't know what I want to do when I'm older. I just can't wait for uni!

Hi there, you said you'd had an interview from Oxford, congratulations and I wish you all the best with getting your offer! I have a question, I am contemplating whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, I prefer Cambridge I think from what I've read and I'm visiting next year. But, I want to keep my options open. However, comparative to other prospective students I'm unsure my GCSE grades are high enough (I've heard Oxford do look at GCSES quite a bit). I was wondering what you got at GCSE? if you don't mind me asking.
1)German, Eng Lit, History, Economics
2) okay I guess (German is killing me tbh)
3) AAA*A* at A2 (not taking AS at all!)
4) I would like to go to Oxford or failing that Manchester Uni to do PPE or Politics+History

1. Maths, Further Maths and Physics

2. Maths is fine, Core 1 is so easy, but I'm really struggling with mechanics at the moment. Further Maths is great, D1 was super easy (just need to sort out timing issues before my mock) and FP1 is really cool, although we're only halfway through it. Physics is probably my most interesting subject but also my hardest - particles and radiation is pretty solid but waves are just aaaaagh

3. Looking to get AAA at the end of this year - will be sitting AS exams for Maths and Further Maths (which haven't yet been reformed) and then for Physics we'll sit the AS exam but later than everyone else so we won't get the qualification from it but still have an accurate grade, if that makes sense.
Then for my actual results I'd love to get 3 A*s (who wouldn't) but I think realistically it'll be more like A*A*A (with the A in Physics).

4. I want to study Maths at university, and even though it's early I'm fairly certain I want to go to Durham to study it. It'll take a LOT of hard work to get me in there, but I'm prepared to work for it!! After that I want to get my teaching qualification (PGCE) and go on to become a secondary Maths teacher :h:

I'll be honest I've always preferred Cambridge but obviously main priority is course and which admissions process would suit you better. My UMS weren't that great and as I went through the UCAS process I quickly realised that I'd much rather do a single science than natural sciences at Cambridge. I would've also stood so much of a better chance at Oxford.

Maybe there is a higher emphasis on GCSE but it all depends on the subject. I know for Chemistry, interview performance is probably the most heavily weighted component since there isn't a real admissions test (TSA was only used as a trial this year! lol they aren't even looking at it until after the offers have been sent out). And if you are applying for a subject that requires an admissions test they care so much more about that than GCSEs and even AS. I got 10A*s at GCSE and it may have helped me a bit but they contextualise your GCSEs so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Reply 15
Original post by BiscuitsAndTea
1)German, Eng Lit, History, Economics
2) okay I guess (German is killing me tbh)
3) AAA*A* at A2 (not taking AS at all!)
4) I would like to go to Oxford or failing that Manchester Uni to do PPE or Politics+History

History and Politics!! yess!! that's my goal.
biology chemistry maths and physics
i'm starting to get why everyone says how hard a levels are and the amount of independent work we have to do. a lot of pressure yes, but so far i'm enjoying them
AS- A in maths and physics, A* prediction in bio and chem
A2- A* in bio maths and chem
medicine :biggrin:
History, Classical Civilisation, French, Spanish

Really enjoying/finding difficulty in them all for different reasons.

History is quite tricky in terms of essay structure, but the actual factual knowledge is super interesting.

Classics is tricky as there isn't as much essay structure so I never know if what I am writing is correct, but I love what we are learning about as it is so broad - it has elements of English Literature, Politics, History, and Law all smooshed into one subject.

French and Spanish are tricky as the new vocab/grammar is more complex and listening exercises have leaped up in difficulty from GCSE, but the new spec is so much more up to date and it's not limited to just learning about the language - culture plays a big role in the syllabus for both of them.

Not doing AS (except for Classics) but for end of term grades I would love AAA-AAB in French, Spanish and History and an A in Classics. This would be rather difficult, I should start revising now tbh :colondollar: Have no idea what grades I'd like at the end of A2, an A* in at least one of them but I don't know if I will realistically be able to achieve this.

Go to university to do languages, the MML/AMES Cambridge course looks amazing but I know it's quite competitive :redface: I like the look of Exeter as well. I am thinking about Spanish and Arabic for the degree at the moment but this might change.
Dream job - one I can travel the world with :biggrin:
Chemistry, Biology, Geography
Chemistry- good so far
Biology- good but lots of content
Geography- no idea have the new specification and no textbook currently so feeling a little lost!
Not doing AS exams. Minimum target set by my school is A*AA so hope to match or exceed this
4) what do you hope to do after you finish?
Medicine- not sure which uni yet or Physiotherapy

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) what a levels do you take? Biology, Chemistry, Maths (year 12)
2) how are you finding them? Not too bad, understanding all content and am up to date with notes but need to keep reviewing content etc
3) what grades are you looking to get? (AS/A2) AAA at AS and hopefully at least A*AA at A2
4) what do you hope to do after you finish? (dream university, dream course or even dream job) Medicine :u:

Quick Reply

Latest