The Student Room Group

For all of those who think Pep will get found out in the PL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IamJacksContempt
Maybe not as drastic as going from champions to bottom half of the league but plenty of teams with great players can go on bad runs of form if they get a new manager or fall out with their existing one. Hell look at Madrid in Jose's last season there...

No idea why you brought England up because it's a perfect example against your argument. A team full of good players who can't play well together because they play under inept managers who along with being tactically clueless, can't inspire motivation either.

Of course the richest teams are going to dominate. They have the best players, best coaching and the best managers. They have the overall package. But then you have Leicester, RB Leipzig this year, Atletico in recent seasons, who thanks to good management combined with some luck have managed to exceed expectations.

You need to be pretty ignorant to ignore the effects a manager has. Are you saying Guardiola didn't create one of the greatest teams of all time in 2012? Or that United would have dominated for so long even with questionable teams sometimes under Sir Alex? Or that Simeone developed Atletico into the most organised team in football?

You must surely be a troll.

I have already said that falling out with the manager obviously effects the team ffs .. No England do not have a great bunch of players and have certaintly never had the best team in the world or even top 3 . You are proably a millenial and dont know that Sven and Capello were your Peps and Klopps of them times with huge success at previous teams.

Pep didnt create the greatest team of 2012 because he didnt impregnate himself and give birth to Lionel Messi and co. Its absurd you can think that the success of Barca was Pep and not the most talented superior squad of players that has ever existed

No doubt Simeone has got himself an organised side and thats great which makes me think you are missing the point of my argument. I am not saying a manager does not have a style or a way to play... i am saying its pretty neglible to the overall results and success of that team and what is important is the quality of the players in that team

Do you think Peps City team get their ********s torn open week after week by Celtic and Leicester and so on because of Peps tactics and love of possession or is it because Clichy, Bravo, Sagna, Kolarov and John Stones are poor defenders, particuarly with little protection coming from midfield?

Munich conceded 17 goals in bundeslolga in Peps last season. Peps City have conceded 20 goals in 17 games in the prem under Pep...

Has Peps masterclass tactics and philosophy got weaker and changed, or is it because his team is no longer like goliath v a league of davids?
Reply 201
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I have already said that falling out with the manager obviously effects the team ffs .. No England do not have a great bunch of players and have certaintly never had the best team in the world or even top 3 . You are proably a millenial and dont know that Sven and Capello were your Peps and Klopps of them times with huge success at previous teams.

Pep didnt create the greatest team of 2012 because he didnt impregnate himself and give birth to Lionel Messi and co. Its absurd you can think that the success of Barca was Pep and not the most talented superior squad of players that has ever existed

No doubt Simeone has got himself an organised side and thats great which makes me think you are missing the point of my argument. I am not saying a manager does not have a style or a way to play... i am saying its pretty neglible to the overall results and success of that team and what is important is the quality of the players in that team

Do you think Peps City team get their ********s torn open week after week by Celtic and Leicester and so on because of Peps tactics and love of possession or is it because Clichy, Bravo, Sagna, Kolarov and John Stones are poor defenders, particuarly with little protection coming from midfield?

Munich conceded 17 goals in bundeslolga in Peps last season. Peps City have conceded 20 goals in 17 games in the prem under Pep...

Has Peps masterclass tactics and philosophy got weaker and changed, or is it because his team is no longer like goliath v a league of davids?

Which 3 teams in 2006 were better than this?

Robinson
Carragher Ferdinand Terry Cole
Beckham Lampard Hargreaves Cole
Rooney Owen
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by difeo

Robinson
Rooney Owen

Argentina
Brazil
Italy
France
Portugal
The Netherlands
Spain
Germany

Pick any three.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Based on their squad you'd at least be expecting them to be getting to the semis of tournaments, especially in the euros.

Pep didn't give birth to Messi but he is the one who put him into that false 9 position which made has still been his most dangerous position yet. Funny how a similar team performed nowhere near that level directly before and after Pep's tenure... could even argue that Barca's current team is better than that of 2012 and they can't even match Pep's Barca in terms of accolades.

You think style of play in negligible in terms of results? Is that why Chelsea consistently beat Barcelona despite having such an inferior team?

You think a manager deciding to use a style of play such as counter attacking against possession based football is negligible? Despite that being the reason why Bayern, Barcelona and City have all come unstuck against counter attacking teams recently (such as Leicester).

Like I said, there's not one specific reason as to why a team does poorly. City would very well improve if they had stronger defenders. But don't pretend City would suddenly become immune to teams like Leicester, because even Bayern and Barca struggle against good counter attacking teams.
Original post by sr90
Argentina
Brazil
Italy
France
Portugal
The Netherlands
Spain
Germany

England were definitely better than Holland, Spain and Germany, it seems you based this on reputation. I think they were at least equal to Portugal, Argentina and Brazil. It was only the world cup finalists who were genuinely better on paper.
Reply 205
Current team cant match peps barca in terms of accolades?

Treble in first season.

Double in second season?

Agree with rest of the post but that bit is very questionable. barca clearly have a better squad now but so does real, bayern and atletico who have been their main challengers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Diego Costa
England were definitely better than Holland, Spain and Germany, it seems you based this on reputation. I think they were at least equal to Portugal, Argentina and Brazil. It was only the world cup finalists who were genuinely better on paper.

I remember that tournament like it was yesterday. Germany's squad back then was weak by their standards, but then so was 2010 (at the time before any smart arses quote me saying they had Neuer, Ozil etc). If they'd have drawn England they would have absolutely pissed all over them.

Holland had a much weaker defence but they had Van Der Sar in goal and a much better set of attacking options.

England would have choked against any half decent opponent.
Original post by difeo

Robinson
Rooney Owen

France and Brazil for starters

Brazil: Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Juan, Carlos, Juninho, Silva, Ze Roberto, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo.
Subs: Adriano, Cicinho, Cris, Emerson, Fred, Gilberto, Julio Cesar, Luisao, Mineiro, Ricardinho, Robinho, Rogerio.
France: Barthez, Sagnol, Thuram, Gallas, Abidal, Ribery, Makelele, Vieira, Zidane, Malouda, Henry.
Subs: Boumsong, Chimbonda, Coupet, Dhorasoo, Diarra, Givet, Govou, Landreau, Saha, Silvestre, Trezeguet, Wiltord.

Germany and Italy

Germany

01 J Lehmann

03 A Friedrich

21 C Metzelder

17 P Mertesacker

16 P Lahm

18 T Borowski (72 B Schweinsteiger )

13 M Ballack

05 S Kehl

19 B Schneider (83 D Odonkor )

11 M Klose (111 O Neuville )

20 L Podolski

Italy

01 G Buffon

19 G Zambrotta

05 F Cannavaro

23 M Materazzi

03 F Grosso

16 M Camoranesi (90 V Iaquinta )

20 S Perrotta (104 A Del Piero )

08 G Gattuso

21 A Pirlo

10 F Totti

09 L Toni (74 A Gilardino )

Netherlands and Portugal though i think Englands team on paper was better than Portugals

Portugal

01 A Ricardo

14 J Nuno Valente

16 A Ricardo Carvalho

05 F Meira

13 L Miguel

18 N Maniche

20 A Deco

06 F Costinha

07 L Figo (84 C Tiago )

09 P Pauleta (45 A Petit )

17 C Ronaldo (34 S Simao )

Holland

01 E Van der Sar

05 G Van Bronckhorst

04 J Mathijsen (56 R Van der Vaart )

13 A Ooijer

03 K Boulahrouz

08 P Cocu (84 J Vennegoor of Hesselink )

20 W Sneijder

18 M Van Bommel (67 J Heitinga )

11 A Robben

07 D Kuyt

17 R Van Persie

Havent even bothered looking at Spain and Argentina either
I notice Swansea are on like their third or fourth manager of the season :smile: All of em crap managers obv, not the players and squad that suckssss :colonhash:
Pep is rattled judging by his post match interviews but has taken away the expected questions on Fernandinho's ill discipline and another Bravo error which didn't cost them today. To talk about the countdown to the end of his coaching error suggests he's ticked he's finding things more difficult that he envisaged. But there are people above him as well who deserve criticism

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's still in pep's hands to end the season well. Beat arsenal (like he always does), plus spurs And United And his job is pretty much safe. New experience for him being in a competitive league And all, when he is properly supported in the transfer market the league is his next season
Reply 211
that interview was hilarious.

guarantee pep will check himself into a rehab centre by the end of the season.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Stop trying to make fetch happen. We all know he's going to do just fine in this league.

Original post by IamJacksContempt
Post here so we can laugh at you in a years time

OPs post is so fetch
Still likely to finish above the team managed by the man formerly known as the Special One.
I notice Swansea are on like their third or fourth manager of the season :smile: All of em crap managers obv, not the players and squad that suckssss :colonhash:

Nobody argued that the players were irrelevant. Nice straw man anyway. Lol at implying that Bradley wasn't totally awful
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 215
@IamJacksContempt awful, delete your account mate.

You too, @Diego Costa
Reply 216
If only there was an AFTV version of Man City

Posted from TSR Mobile
City fans... you're 3-0 down... ahahahahahahahaahahahaha
Original post by flappydina
City fans... you're 3-0 down... ahahahahahahahaahahahaha

Make that 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

City fans were laughing at us drawing all those games saying "how could you draw to everton you **** *******s"....

now they got beat 4-0 and if we win are on the verge of being 6th in premier league :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest