The Student Room Group

as biology aqa

please could someone explain to me how I am meant to revise for my as biology exam when I am unable to understand the content.
please could someone give me advice on what I should do from now up to the exam because I feel that when I am in lessons I am unable to understand what the teacher is teaching du to her explaining things as though we should already know everything
thank you
please give me advice on what I should do and the type of revision I should do in order to prepare for my as biology exam
I have advice but first, what exam board are you following?
Reply 2
Original post by Hajra Momoniat
I have advice but first, what exam board are you following?

Aqa
That's good cause I can give you advice. On the right hand of this web site youll see a box saying study resources. Click on 'see more' then 'A Level' and use the drop down boxes to guide you. Then use the filters on the side to guide you and please feel free to use my resources which have my name on it which is my username on here. :smile:
I have attached on here 'Biological molecules AQA AS Biology PART 1 of 8 TOPICS: Carbohydrates'. Hopefully you like the way I write and will find my resources helpful. They are all based on the AQA specification 2016.

Any questions feel free to ask :smile:
Hi young man/lady,

A. TACTICS: Doing numerous past exam papers will help; first, look at the Qs, then read up, prepare all you can (books, internet, etc. [mrothery.com is very good], then sit yourself down in a simulated exam situation with mum or dad as invigilator, and do the paper without ref to books, etc and mum/dad timing you strictly.

EXAM TECHNIQUE: This is an acquired skill (mainly); (a) answer the question (nothing else) (b) think: don't just vomit out what comes to your head; work it out (c) learn to work out from the Q what the examiner is looking for: then put down exactly that: IMAGINE YOU ARE SAYING TO THE EXAMINER: "Thank you for the Q sir/miss, this is what you were looking for; that is what I have put down; Can I have the two marks that are assigned to this part of Q, please? Thank you!" (d) (tough as it might seem), be positive/confident stemming out of rock-solid preparation: there is overwhelming evidence that optimistic students are the best achievers. (e) be fresh/alert/active on exam day: DO NOT work till midnight the night B4: that last minute cramming is useless - the examiner can only see what you put down on paper, and if you are feeling tired, dopey, bored in the exam room, you will not put down much sensible stuff. Go to a film the previous afternoon!

B. STUDYING: 1. Study at a quiet time . e.g. early morning when you are fresh and everyone else is dozing. 2. Switch off distractions like mobiles, internet, so you can concentrate. 3. Take my Dad's advice: "Change of work is rest" - give yourself variety: if you are getting fed up or getting nowhere with something, switch to a different topic/scenario or even different subject. 4. Look after your general health: nutrition, hydration, exercise, recreation, friends. 5. Find a very good tutor who can oversee/guide you.

Hope this helps! Mukesh. (A Level Biology tutor)
Reply 5
Original post by Hajra Momoniat
That's good cause I can give you advice. On the right hand of this web site youll see a box saying study resources. Click on 'see more' then 'A Level' and use the drop down boxes to guide you. Then use the filters on the side to guide you and please feel free to use my resources which have my name on it which is my username on here. :smile:
I have attached on here 'Biological molecules AQA AS Biology PART 1 of 8 TOPICS: Carbohydrates'. Hopefully you like the way I write and will find my resources helpful. They are all based on the AQA specification 2016.

Any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Hello thank you for this resource please could you give me more resourses for the as level biology
Reply 6
Original post by macpatelgh
Hi young man/lady,

A. TACTICS: Doing numerous past exam papers will help; first, look at the Qs, then read up, prepare all you can (books, internet, etc. [mrothery.com is very good], then sit yourself down in a simulated exam situation with mum or dad as invigilator, and do the paper without ref to books, etc and mum/dad timing you strictly.

EXAM TECHNIQUE: This is an acquired skill (mainly); (a) answer the question (nothing else) (b) think: don't just vomit out what comes to your head; work it out (c) learn to work out from the Q what the examiner is looking for: then put down exactly that: IMAGINE YOU ARE SAYING TO THE EXAMINER: "Thank you for the Q sir/miss, this is what you were looking for; that is what I have put down; Can I have the two marks that are assigned to this part of Q, please? Thank you!" (d) (tough as it might seem), be positive/confident stemming out of rock-solid preparation: there is overwhelming evidence that optimistic students are the best achievers. (e) be fresh/alert/active on exam day: DO NOT work till midnight the night B4: that last minute cramming is useless - the examiner can only see what you put down on paper, and if you are feeling tired, dopey, bored in the exam room, you will not put down much sensible stuff. Go to a film the previous afternoon!

B. STUDYING: 1. Study at a quiet time . e.g. early morning when you are fresh and everyone else is dozing. 2. Switch off distractions like mobiles, internet, so you can concentrate. 3. Take my Dad's advice: "Change of work is rest" - give yourself variety: if you are getting fed up or getting nowhere with something, switch to a different topic/scenario or even different subject. 4. Look after your general health: nutrition, hydration, exercise, recreation, friends. 5. Find a very good tutor who can oversee/guide you.

Hope this helps! Mukesh. (A Level Biology tutor)

Thank You for the addvice please could you give me resources that would be useful
Original post by emerge123
Hello thank you for this resource please could you give me more resourses for the as level biology

aww, im glad you liked it. Sorry to make it really confusing but I have a lot of them so I don't want to flood my reply with a load of resources.

Basically click on 'see more' in the box that says 'study resources' on the right hand side. Then click on A level and then use the two drop down boxes. Filters will come on the left hand side to guide you to resources for any topic you want.

Alternatively, create an account on get revising which is free and then send me a message saying anything you want. This is in order for you to click on my name in the 'sent messages' for all my resources to come up as a list that I have made.

All resources that you search for on the student room and on get revising will say the same name that is on here. :smile:

Sorry for any inconvenience
Check out mrothery.co.uk very gd
please could someone explain to me how I am meant to revise for my as biology exam when I am unable to understand the content.
please could someone give me advice on what I should do from now up to the exam because I feel that when I am in lessons I am unable to understand what the teacher is teaching du to her explaining things as though we should already know everything
thank you
please give me advice on what I should do and the type of revision I should do in order to prepare for my as biology exam

Get the CGP AQA Biology textbook. Trust me. It will get you the grade you want so long as you study effectively. When writing notes use this book and the AQA specification. Thats all i did and i ended up with an awesome grade! I only did like 3 past papers but i do regret that as past papers can boost your grade significantly!

Get your hands on that CGP book and i am confident that you will smash biology 😏👍🏽
Reply 10
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
Get the CGP AQA Biology textbook. Trust me. It will get you the grade you want so long as you study effectively. When writing notes use this book and the AQA specification. Thats all i did and i ended up with an awesome grade! I only did like 3 past papers but i do regret that as past papers can boost your grade significantly!

Get your hands on that CGP book and i am confident that you will smash biology 😏👍🏽

thank you so much if you dont mind me asking when did you start your revision
thank you so much if you dont mind me asking when did you start your revision

If im honest i started in mid january.
Reply 12
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
If im honest i started in mid january.

okay thank you please could you do me a huge favor. i am unable to access the as level aqa cgp revision guide so i was wondering if i could get the online code so i can use it online.
Please could you do this for me it would be a great help for me thank you
thank you

Hi Emerge,

If you feel like you've missed some of the fundamentals that now mean you're having trouble understanding your biology lessons, I would advise that you consider employing a private tutor for at least a couple of sessions, if you can afford it. Even a small amount of one-to-one tailored advice can make a world of difference, and professional tutors will be used to finding and dealing with the specific gaps in students' knowledge.

You can search for tutors in your area on our website, but we also have a large number of expert articles written by tutors on A-level Biology. You can read these here:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/a-level-biology-tutors

Good luck with your studies!

Emma

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending