The Student Room Group

Is Waitrose that posh?

This afternoon I'd just come out of Waitrose, walking down the road with two of its bags, when some chavs shouted at me. They said I was a "posh ****", who "thinks he's all that", and that I should "give us a fiver each or else", which I didn't do. Is it really that posh to be young and shop in Waitrose?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Glassapple
This afternoon I'd just come out of Waitrose, walking down the road with two of its bags, when some chavs shouted at me. They said I was a "posh ****", who "thinks he's all that", and that I should "give us a fiver each or else", which I didn't do. Is it really that posh to be young and shop in Waitrose?

Yes. Yes it is.

Waitrose basically wins every supermarket award that does not relate to price and only goes as far as price matching Tesco. It's where you go for quality and a nice experience, not cost.
Yes, it's mainly full of posh girls with more money than they can spend.
Original post by Rakas21
Yes. Yes it is.

Waitrose basically wins every supermarket award that does not relate to price and only goes as far as price matching Tesco. It's where you go for quality and a nice experience, not cost.

So you'd think the same as the guys who shouted at me? It's always a nice experience there; you don't see chavs or screaming kids.

Original post by xbiostudentx
Yes, it's mainly full of posh girls with more money than they can spend.

What about posh boys with more money than they can spend, like what the chavs said to me? What is it about the place that seems to antagonise other people?
Reply 4
So you'd think the same as the guys who shouted at me? It's always a nice experience there; you don't see chavs or screaming kids.

What about posh boys with more money than they can spend, like what the chavs said to me? What is it about the place that seems to antagonise other people?

Yes but i don't know why you care. Being posh is not a bad thing.

Partly envy and partly the fact that middle class people can be somewhat arrogant (eu referendum being a good example down south).
Reply 5

Mate ur defo posh whether you like it or not...:rolleyes:

Screaming kids just adds an extra pazazz to the experience of being lower - middle class. :closedeyes:

Some "chavs" are actually bare nice not saying that to be a good person - ive had bad experiences as well - but met this amazing woman who you could tell was addicted to some illegal substance but she was really sweet man. Life can be **** man.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nuba123
Mate ur defo posh whether you like it or not...:rolleyes:

Screaming kids just adds an extra pazazz to the experience of being lower - middle class. :closedeyes:

Ha thanks I guess :rolleyes: I don't want to be trying to enjoy buying groceries surrounded by people in tracksuits and children who want to pick everything up and then shout and scream the place down xD I've always shopped in Waitrose and I wouldn't shop anywhere else except on the odd horrific occasion; I suppose I'm just posh.

People addicted to illegal substances are not 'good' or 'nice'; they're putting that on so you feel sorry for them and give them money to fuel their habits. Ew, 'bare'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not at all. Working class old Len shops there on the regular. They do a fantastic range of pickled walnuts, if I may say so myself.
Original post by Len Goodman
Not at all. Working class old Len shops there on the regular. They do a fantastic range of pickled walnuts, if I may say so myself.

You get a 10, Len. You will be sorely missed from my television screen.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Ha thanks I guess :rolleyes: I don't want to be trying to enjoy buying groceries surrounded by people in tracksuits and children who want to pick everything up and then shout and scream the place down xD I've always shopped in Waitrose and I wouldn't shop anywhere else except on the odd horrific occasion; I suppose I'm just posh.

People addicted to illegal substances are not 'good' or 'nice'; they're putting that on so you feel sorry for them and give them money to fuel their habits. Ew, 'bare'.

Tbh, you're just up in your lil privilege bubble - must be nice. :rolleyes:

And stop generalising people with addiction problems - I gotta whole lot of stereotypes about people like you too. :wink:
Original post by Nuba123
Tbh, you're just up in your lil privilege bubble - must be nice. :rolleyes:

And stop generalising people with addiction problems - I gotta whole lot of stereotypes about people like you too. :wink:

Stereotype away :wink: I've never seen anyone with an addiction problem that I'd want tonne friends with or even talk to xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Stereotype away :wink: I've never seen anyone with an addiction problem that I'd want tonne friends with or even talk to xD

okie dokie xxx
do these words/phrases make you cring:
peng
buff ting
sound as
brap
wagwan
was gwanin
peak
lit
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nuba123
okie dokie xxx
do these words/phrases make you cring:
peng
buff ting
sound as
brap
wagwan
was gwanin
peak
lit

They make me cringe...as does "bare"

But to answer the original question: Yes Waitrose is posh, the only people I even met who shop there like to boast about how they shop there because it makes them feel superior....Which is likely why you asked the question, you already knew the answer, just wanted to let people know you have money. :tongue:
We have a cat greets us at our local Waitrose. She is a local legend.

Image 01-10-2016 at 19.46.jpg
Original post by barnetlad

Image 01-10-2016 at 19.46.jpg

That cat looks pretty depressed if you ask me.
Original post by Ze Witcher
That cat looks pretty depressed if you ask me.

I'd just stopped her from helping herself to my yoghurts before taking the photo.
Original post by ladybuggs
They make me cringe...as does "bare"

But to answer the original question: Yes Waitrose is posh, the only people I even met who shop there like to boast about how they shop there because it makes them feel superior....Which is likely why you asked the question, you already knew the answer, just wanted to let people know you have money. :tongue:

that post is nearly 10 months old hun, shouldve left it dead

You should have given those common street oinks a bit of what for with your shooting stick.
Original post by barnetlad

Why doesn't she have a green token round her neck?
shop where you want. its you money. il ove booths sadly ive not been near one in 10 years. if your only choice is tesco or the coop i say enjoy your freedom.

Quick Reply