The Student Room Group

Council tax

So it just occurred to me that I didn't notify the council that I was a student when I lived in a house last year (I didn't pay council tax). I do remember getting a couple letters but just ignored them. Should I notify them or does it not matter now?

It was a rented property and I lived there for a year.
Original post by Roadrunner51
So it just occurred to me that I didn't notify the council that I was a student when I lived in a house last year (I didn't pay council tax). I do remember getting a couple letters but just ignored them. Should I notify them or does it not matter now?

It was a rented property and I lived there for a year.

Was the house occupied entirely and solely by full-time students? If so, there would have been no council tax liability anyway, so don't worry about it. If the council tracks you down, I presume you can prove your status as a full-time student for the period in question?
Original post by Reality Check
Was the house occupied entirely and solely by full-time students? If so, there would have been no council tax liability anyway, so don't worry about it. If the council tracks you down, I presume you can prove your status as a full-time student for the period in question?

Yeah we were all full-time students. Yeah I was speaking to a friend and he said if there are investigations you have to pay for that and/or bailiff charges. Any thoughts?
Original post by Roadrunner51
Yeah we were all full-time students. Yeah I was speaking to a friend and he said if there are investigations you have to pay for that and/or bailiff charges. Any thoughts?

I think it's unlikely - particularly if you've all moved out. There wouldn't be any bailiff charges because there's no council tax to create a debt, and I don't see how they could make you pay for their investigations, since again there is no council tax liability to put these charges against.

If you were worried, then you could approach the council, but what about now - are you still sharing a student house, and does that house come under the same Council Authority as the old one? What's the CT position at the moment?
Original post by Reality Check
I think it's unlikely - particularly if you've all moved out. There wouldn't be any bailiff charges because there's no council tax to create a debt, and I don't see how they could make you pay for their investigations, since again there is no council tax liability to put these charges against.

If you were worried, then you could approach the council, but what about now - are you still sharing a student house, and does that house come under the same Council Authority as the old one? What's the CT position at the moment?

Yeah but the council didn't know we were students. They always assume that whoever has moved in is liable for council tax until proved otherwise.

I'm currently on placement in another city. Got a summons for council tax so ended up sending all the required info for student exemption.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending