The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

I've applied for the wrong course..

Hey,

I applied to University of Edinburgh and some other Universities in Scotland for similar subjects, that being Classics / Classical Studies.

I've recieved offers from two other Unis, one being Univeristy Of Glasgow for Classics, so was surprised to have recieved an unsuccessful response from Edinburgh, for a course that was supposedly easier to get onto, and one that I had eclipsed the grades for.

I've now realised I've applied to the wrong course, instead applying for Classics rather than Classic Studies, the former requiring Latin A Level, not offered at my college, the latter not and thus the one I intended to apply for, and have mistakenly failed to select on UCAS.

I called UCAS who told me to contact the University, and as such I've emailed them explaining the situation due to it being later than 18:00 when I realised. Does anyone know if this means I have lost that choice on UCAS, will I have to wait until next year, apply through Extra, or do something I have not considered? Or is it possible the University will instead consider my application for Classical Studies, instead?

Bit worried!

Thanks for any help,
Dom
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by DomLaverick
Hey,

I applied to University of Edinburgh and some other Universities in Scotland for similar subjects, that being Classics / Classical Studies.

I've recieved offers from two other Unis, one being Univeristy Of Glasgow for Classics, so was surprised to have recieved an unsuccessful response from Edinburgh, for a course that was supposedly easier to get onto, and one that I had eclipsed the grades for.

I've now realised I've applied to the wrong course, instead applying for Classics rather than Classic Studies, the former requiring Latin A Level, not offered at my college, the latter not and thus the one I intended to apply for, and have mistakenly failed to select on UCAS.

I called UCAS who told me to contact the University, and as such I've emailed them explaining the situation due to it being later than 18:00 when I realised. Does anyone know if this means I have lost that choice on UCAS, will I have to wait until next year, apply through Extra, or do something I have not considered? Or is it possible the University will instead consider my application for Classical Studies, instead?

Bit worried!

Thanks for any help,
Dom

Wait and see what the uni say. But it is possible they will be willing to consider your application for the correct course. If they won't, you can apply through [wiki]UCAS_Extra[/wiki] but you would have to decline all your offers to do that.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Have you heard from the university yet? If you decide you want to come to Edinburgh and they won't let you reapply for the course you wanted, you can always check in Adjustment in August. The university had never been in Clearing/Adjustment before until last year where they decided to select and extra 100 students to be taken in through Adjustment. Supposedly the scheme was considered to be a success based on the achievement of those students selected so they may well decide to do it again this year I suppose. Definitely worth looking out for.

I hope it all works out for you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending