The Student Room Group

GCSE Target Grades

Hi everyone! So basically, my school has given everyone their target grades for our GCSE and all my targets are 6's (Equivalent=B). Apparently, the target grades are reflected form our SAT's results and I did decent but not that good (I got three 4's and two 5's). I never really paid attention in primary because I was far too busy enjoying childhood, but now that i'm in high school, i have realised the potential and importance of getting a GCSE so I want to really get the best and get the 7's (Equivalent=A).My teachers and I believe that I have definitely improved and that I was beating all my targets in the previous years. Just because of what I got in my SAT's, does it show that the hardest I try, will achieve me 6's? Also I have got my first tracking report and I have got: English Literature=2, English Language=2(Both english's have not been assessed yet, everyone in the year gets low grade), Maths=5, Geography=6, Spanish=7, Chemistry=7, Biology=8, Physics=6 and Religious Studies=4 .

Does this reflect that I'm a good learner and that it shows I will thrive to reach my targets? Motivation is key for me and I seriously need it.

Thank You Members Of TSR! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by happydimples
Hi everyone! So basically, my school has given everyone their target grades for our GCSE and all my targets are 6's (Equivalent=B). Apparently, the target grades are reflected form our SAT's results and I did decent but not that good (I got three 4's and two 5's). I never really paid attention in primary because I was far too busy enjoying childhood, but now that i'm in high school, i have realised the potential and importance of getting a GCSE so I want to really get the best and get the 7's (Equivalent=A).My teachers and I believe that I have definitely improved and that I was beating all my targets in the previous years. Just because of what I got in my SAT's, does it show that the hardest I try, will achieve me 6's? Also I have got my first tracking report and I have got: English Literature=2, English Language=2(Both english's have not been assessed yet, everyone in the year gets low grade), Maths=5, Geography=6, Spanish=7, Chemistry=7, Biology=8, Physics=6 and Religious Studies=4 .

Does this reflect that I'm and good learner and that I will thrive to reach my targets? Motivation is key for me and i seriously need it.

Thank You Members Of TSR! :smile:

to b completely honest with you, those targets based on SATS are complete rubbish. I got targeted all Bs for my GCSE (and C in english) but when it came to the real exams, I ended up with all As or A* and no Bs.
Also, mock grades aren't really precise either, since people actually do way better when it comes to the real exams.
You shouldn't worry too much based on SATS, since they're the past and doesnt really reflect the present you :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Target grades at GCSE honestly don't mean anything - maybe if you're moving for sixth form but even so as they're all above Cs you're fine.

Don't feel hindered by your target grades, if you feel you can do better than 6s then go for it! It seems like you're on track for 7s+ in some subjects anyway, so aim high! :h:
Original post by rayestar
to b completely honest with you, those targets based on SATS are complete rubbish. I got targeted all Bs for my GCSE (and C in english) but when it came to the real exams, I ended up with all As or A* and no Bs.
Also, mock grades aren't really precise either, since people actually do way better when it comes to the real exams.
You shouldn't worry too much based on SATS, since they're the past and doesnt really reflect the present you :wink:

Aww well done! And wow you really aced those exams, I really do hope I get grades like you did, and your right I hope the past doesn't affect my future due to those SATS results!
Original post by NiamhM1801
Target grades at GCSE honestly don't mean anything - maybe if you're moving for sixth form but even so as they're all above Cs you're fine.

Don't feel hindered by your target grades, if you feel you can do better than 6s then go for it! It seems like you're on track for 7s+ in some subjects anyway, so aim high! :h:

Thank you sooo much!! Feel much motivated, will keep my chin up! :u:
Aww well done! And wow you really aced those exams, I really do hope I get grades like you did, and your right I hope the past doesn't affect my future due to those SATS results!

thanks. My school based those targets on SATS, place u lived, ethnic, mother tongue etc. so it was kinda annoying lol
but, its actually better to have lower target grades, because when you put a little effort in, u can exceed the target easily and the teachers get impressed easily :biggrin:
what subjects do you take? I can help you in some of ur subj if u want?
I did: Maths, double english, RS, triple science, computing, geography, statistics, german and japanese (+Level3 Statistical Methods)
I got targeted all 8s and a few 7s. It's based on the job your parents have, your SATA, whether your school was private and how well that school performs. Doesn't really reflect yourself at all
thanks. My school based those targets on SATS, place u lived, ethnic, mother tongue etc. so it was kinda annoying lol
but, its actually better to have lower target grades, because when you put a little effort in, u can exceed the target easily and the teachers get impressed easily :biggrin:
what subjects do you take? I can help you in some of ur subj if u want?
I did: Maths, double english, RS, triple science, computing, geography, statistics, german and japanese (+Level3 Statistical Methods)

Wow if they did that to us I would be really annoyed!! And I am taking: English Literatrure, English Language, Maths, Triple Science, Spanish and Geography. I would really love some help! However the specification has changed ALOT for the Year 10's who will be taking the Summer GCSE exam. But, I would love to know what helped you revise and how you kept yourself so motivated etc. :h:
Original post by That'sGreat
I got targeted all 8s and a few 7s. It's based on the job your parents have, your SATA, whether your school was private and how well that school performs. Doesn't really reflect yourself at all

Really! Is this for everyone! All schools across the UK, about the parents job etc?!
For science, I wrote all the notes from myGCSEscience videos down (I did AQA) and just memorised them (mostly cramming on the last few days lol :colondollar:)
Geography, it's really helpful if u write the case studies on flash cards (one side of flash card per case study) and make sure you write notes for every bullet point in the spec, cos they use the same phrase in the spec to ask a question:
e.g...
Specification: - To be able to compare the secondary and primary impacts of an earthquake in a developing country
The Question would be: For a named example, compare the secondary and primary impacts in a developing country (6 marks)

This was how it worked in Edexcel B geography but not many people actually realised this system

For maths, just do practise questions from a work book.

Hope this helpeddd :biggrin:
Really! Is this for everyone! All schools across the UK, about the parents job etc?!

Yep
For science, I wrote all the notes from myGCSEscience videos down (I did AQA) and just memorised them (mostly cramming on the last few days lol :colondollar:)
Geography, it's really helpful if u write the case studies on flash cards (one side of flash card per case study) and make sure you write notes for every bullet point in the spec, cos they use the same phrase in the spec to ask a question:
e.g...
Specification: - To be able to compare the secondary and primary impacts of an earthquake in a developing country
The Question would be: For a named example, compare the secondary and primary impacts in a developing country (6 marks)

This was how it worked in Edexcel B geography but not many people actually realised this system

For maths, just do practise questions from a work book.

Hope this helpeddd :biggrin:

Thank you sooo much! This is very useful, I will try these and see which is useful! Also I have a question, did you pay for the myGCSEscience seperate science videos or did you use the free ones?

Thank You
Thank you sooo much! This is very useful, I will try these and see which is useful! Also I have a question, did you pay for the myGCSEscience seperate science videos or did you use the free ones?

Thank You

I paid for them, but i also found the link to the free ones. Sadly, the links didn't work after September :frown:
I have the notes from myGCSEscience handwritten. I was actually considering to type them up, since a lot of people ask for the videos, but there aren't any free links currently that i know of. Maybe if i type the notes, it will help people a little?
The notes have everything that the guy writes and says in the vids so yeah
I paid for them, but i also found the link to the free ones. Sadly, the links didn't work after September :frown:
I have the notes from myGCSEscience handwritten. I was actually considering to type them up, since a lot of people ask for the videos, but there aren't any free links currently that i know of. Maybe if i type the notes, it will help people a little?
The notes have everything that the guy writes and says in the vids so yeah

Oh right, oh well and would be great if you type the notes up!
Oh right, oh well and would be great if you type the notes up!

yeah i might type them in my free time maybe.
i'll let u know when each unit is done:h:
yeah i might type them in my free time maybe.
i'll let u know when each unit is done:h:

Actually, its ok you paid for them so you keep your notes:h:
Reply 16
It's a pretty stupid system, tbh. I mean, a LOT can change in a persons education between the ages of 10-11 to 16, you know? I'm predicted a Level 8 (A*) in Computing, Lit, Lang, Drama and Art, and a Level 9 (A**) in Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths and RP, but I dunno if that'll happen, lol

xx

No. How do they even know what job a parent has? The school is measured on the attainment of pupils (Attainment 8) and progress that a pupil makes from KS2 SATs (Progress 8), not from anything else anyone has mentioned and so most schools base targets purely on KS2 scores (assuming a pupil did them).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by That'sGreat
Yep

Basically at my school you get given those grades (parents jobs etc) but then in year nine they (your real subject teachers) look at the grades you are getting in the lessons at that point (year nine) and usually expect you to go up 2 or 3 grades. For example, if you are achieving a 5 in English, your target will be an 8. Also just realised this was posted two years ago but OH WELL
Original post by BigOof123
Basically at my school you get given those grades (parents jobs etc) but then in year nine they (your real subject teachers) look at the grades you are getting in the lessons at that point (year nine) and usually expect you to go up 2 or 3 grades. For example, if you are achieving a 5 in English, your target will be an 8. Also just realised this was posted two years ago but OH WELL

Fairs

Quick Reply

Latest