The Student Room Group

Any mature students on here who have gone back to study A-levels??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Im studying Mathematics, History and politics at the moment want to finish my AS levels from history and politics then move on to some more science subjects next year in the hope of studying engineering at university. Age 20 currently working in the army i just like to educate myself in my spare time as it helps me better myself.
Original post by NI30241834
Im studying Mathematics, History and politics at the moment want to finish my AS levels from history and politics then move on to some more science subjects next year in the hope of studying engineering at university. Age 20 currently working in the army i just like to educate myself in my spare time as it helps me better myself.

What is going on we are practically the same person 😂 I already studied engineering at Sheffield, now I'm studying the same subjects as you and I just moved from the regulars to the reserves...
How are they all going? Must be difficult to fit it all in if you're still reg!
Reply 262
Original post by epsilondelta
What is going on we are practically the same person 😂 I already studied engineering at Sheffield, now I'm studying the same subjects as you and I just moved from the regulars to the reserves...
How are they all going? Must be difficult to fit it all in if you're still reg!

History and Politics is going well mate. Maths is a bit more of a challenge lol. To fit it in i try to find a couple hours everyday when im not doing something to work through my textbooks. Any idea where i can go to get information about education from the army the exam board said they should have some people i can talk to to help arrange things etc?
Hi everyone,

My name is Martin, 35 years old and i'm a freelance cameraman and editor.

I will be looking to set up my own limited company in the future but feel I don't have the appropriate business acumen as I never studied business studies at school.

I'm studying in my own time an A level in business studies and have just found the student rooms through google...just what i was looking for as an extra study aid/resource :smile:
Original post by Wisefire
I am doing an Access to HE Diploma in Business Studies.

I shall be applying for:

Information Management for Business at UCL (AAB at A-Level or 18 Distinctions on an Access course)
Business and Management at Durham (AAB or 30 Distinctions)
International Management at Nottingham (AAB or 30 Distinctions)
International Management at Manchester (AAB or 30 Distinctions)

I will also be applying for an Arts and Humanities Foundation Year at Nottingham (BCC at A-Level, Access courses are dealt with on a case-by-case basis) as what is a slight insurance choice.

I am 19 years old. In a boy's private school doing A-Levels nearing two years ago I had offers from Manchester and Nottingham for Accounting & Finance degrees. I have a rather too complex past of distress which has meant I couldn't complete those A-Levels. Now, at my age, I do not have access to new taught A-Levels for free.

I am ****ing terrified of not receiving offers for any of these courses at these specific universities even with a rich and articulate personal statement which includes words on how I am presently much more enthusiastic on academic goals than career-oriented goals, an insight day at an investment bank, a job shadow, reading two books, visiting a lecture, volunteering and societies I had been a part of in the past. I would also have a good reference from my college, and a good additional, second reference from my previous school.

I have 1A* 4As 5Bs and 1C at IGCSE/GCSE, and ABDE at AS-Level.

I want peoples' thoughts on how likely I am to receive offers to do these four mentioned degrees above with my Access course. I will be miserable if I get no offers from universities I had offers from (Manchester and Nottingham) when halfheartedly doing A-Levels.
Now I am applying myself on this Access course, but I fear the reality is it is an inferior qualification, which it clearly is, but surely not so inferior that it cannot get me onto any of these undergraduate degrees?

These universities claim they will accept Access students. I massively, staggeringly fear the reality is the majority of Access to HE students cannot grab the attention of only these universities I would be happy to go to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the courses accept Access courses as a route to entry, and you meet the grades required in terms of number of distinctions, then there's no problem in applying to them with them. You do get six choices, but you've only put 4 (plus this foundation thing) down. What I would point out is that your four choices, UCL, Manchester, Durham and Nottingham are all very ambitious good universities - you might also want to put a 'second league' one down just in case, so you've got an easy offer just in case something goes wrong.
Has anyone here self taught biology and chemistry with aview to studying medicine? Am based in Nottinghamshire and a struggling to find a centre for practicals.
Original post by epsilondelta
Hey thanks! Yeah I am unfortunately I work nights 🙄 are you?

Oh awesome! Yeah definitely, just starting to do C3 papers now. Are you studying independently?

Westminster Kingsway - I highly recommend :biggrin:

Yeah I'm working full time whilst attempting to do 2 A-levels. It's really difficult to stay motivated though and I find that Maths is much more time consuming than Biology :frown:

Unfortunately Westminister Kingsway is way too far for me to commute to :frown:
Original post by Wisefire
No. Whatever happens, happens. They are all degrees which require AAB at A-Level and I had offers for AAB Finance degrees at Manchester and Nottingham while doing A-Levels two years ago in a boy's private school.

I am not going to pursue a university + course combination I would not be satisfied with. This satisfaction depends on that university and/or course combination and its scene and splendour. For example, History of Art at the Courtauld is to me quite similarly appealing and roughly as special as Information Management for Business at UCL, even though they give rather different prospects.

What increasingly seems to be genuinely the most awesome initial undergraduate degree I can think of however and what I might increasingly want is to study Biological Sciences at a fantastic university, like Oxford, Imperial, UCL or Bristol. I do like Biology.

If I can't get into even Manchester or Nottingham, universities I did have offers from two years ago, with my much stronger personal statement this time and my potentially relatively stronger Access grades, I will cry, I will lambaste Access Diplomas and I will proceed to save my remaining existence through pursuing self-studying A-Levels which are heartfelt desires and true academic curiosities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is entirely your choice to make, then.
To those mature students who are studying 'further education' whether it's A-levels or BTECs, how is it going?
Original post by Philip-flop
To those mature students who are studying 'further education' whether it's A-levels or BTECs, how is it going?

I didn't end doing any..relied on my old grades and studies to do the degree of choice..fingers crossed. Alas I'm prepared to do alevels next year if they require it and defer my place to do the courses required! How are you doing P?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I just do Chemistry. It's going pretty well thanks. The course is divided into Physical, Inorganic and Organic Chemistry. Just finished Physical, have a mock exam of sorts next Thursday so on a pretty demanding study schedule this week. Just home from a 7-3 as a HCA and about to start 4hrs of thermodynamics revision before dinner.

How about you ? :-D
Original post by Fleuves
Hey, I just do Chemistry. It's going pretty well thanks. The course is divided into Physical, Inorganic and Organic Chemistry. Just finished Physical, have a mock exam of sorts next Thursday so on a pretty demanding study schedule this week. Just home from a 7-3 as a HCA and about to start 4hrs of thermodynamics revision before dinner.

How about you ? :-D

Wow that's fantastic, sounds like you're really enjoying the subject!! Are you doing Chemistry as an A-level? Where abouts are you studying? and how old are you?
69 years old thinking of doing A Levels in Advanced Pooping Positions, Alphabet Recitation and Janitorial Management.
Hoping to get a BA (Hons) in Floor Sweeping and an MSc in Human Waste Cleaning at Oxford. After I graduate, I hope to become the CEO of a single toilet cubicle in one of the finest inns in the world.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by desslop
69 years old thinking of doing A Levels in Advanced Pooping Positions, Alphabet Recitation and Janitorial Management.
Hoping to get a BA (Hons) in Floor Sweeping and an MSc in Human Waste Cleaning at Oxford. After I graduate, I hope to become the CEO of a single toilet cubicle in one of the finest inns in the world.

You're lost - this is the grown-ups thread. Try 'Chat' instead.
Wow that's fantastic, sounds like you're really enjoying the subject!! Are you doing Chemistry as an A-level? Where abouts are you studying? and how old are you?

You're right :-) I am doing it as an A Level yeah, so I study the AS content too since you need it all for the final 3 exams in June. I study at a local college here where I live, Liverpool - plus of being in a city! I'm 24.
End of term :dance:
For those of you doing science or maths A-level, how do you structure your "lessons" if you will. So when you sit down to study how do you go about it? Do you read the textbooks and then make notes followed by questions, or do you do question straight away etc?

I apologise for all the questions, i'm just a little lost on how to begin :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
For those of you doing science or maths A-level, how do you structure your "lessons" if you will.

With self study I read through a module, then do a bunch of practice questions and see how I do. I'll go through and review what was easy and hard and then prioritise how much time and effort I give to each 'bit' of a module, and how much I need to read around it. Go study again and then more questions. Rinse and repeat until things seem vaguely stuck, then add things to my daily 'revision bank' on AnkiDeck.
Original post by AmeliaLost
With self study I read through a module, then do a bunch of practice questions and see how I do. I'll go through and review what was easy and hard and then prioritise how much time and effort I give to each 'bit' of a module, and how much I need to read around it. Go study again and then more questions. Rinse and repeat until things seem vaguely stuck, then add things to my daily 'revision bank' on AnkiDeck.

That sounds really good! Thanks for you're help :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
That sounds really good! Thanks for you're help :smile:

Welcome :h:

Quick Reply

Latest