The Student Room Group

Ngdp lga 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
So, have we all signed on the dotted line yet?

Councils seem to be moving at different paces to get NMTs into position. One I saw at the open day wanted people as soon as August. It'd be interesting to know what your LA has told you about the first placement. How much of a say have you had in it?
Original post by oms207
So, have we all signed on the dotted line yet?

Councils seem to be moving at different paces to get NMTs into position. One I saw at the open day wanted people as soon as August. It'd be interesting to know what your LA has told you about the first placement. How much of a say have you had in it?

I have had zero communication from mine actually (Redbridge). In fact I was about to write here to ask you guys if you think this is a bit odd. I asked Emilia and she said that the contract drafting process can take some time and that I should contact them which I thought was a bit of a strange response. Is it unreasonable of me to at least have expected a confirmation/we're happy to have you, email from the council?

So I'm afraid I can't shed much light on your question! All I've had is the standard - you should be ready to start before the national induction - line. As for the first placement, I remember them telling me that they choose your first placement for you, but seems like you have a big say in the others.

What about you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 442
Original post by paddy25
I have had zero communication from mine actually (Redbridge). In fact I was about to write here to ask you guys if you think this is a bit odd. I asked Emilia and she said that the contract drafting process can take some time and that I should contact them which I thought was a bit of a strange response. Is it unreasonable of me to at least have expected a confirmation/we're happy to have you, email from the council?

So I'm afraid I can't shed much light on your question! All I've had is the standard - you should be ready to start before the national induction - line. As for the first placement, I remember them telling me that they choose your first placement for you, but seems like you have a big say in the others.

What about you?

Hmm that's a bit surprising to have nothing. I've been sent a contract and onerous paperwork and medical forms. A breezy email saying we're fixing your first placement - to which I replied tell me more! But that contact isn't picking up the phone or emails so feel less in control as I'd like there to be honest.

I would pester Redbridge and LGA - it's not right to not be told anything about a job you are most likely moving a lot of your life around and have worked so hard to get.

I have to say I have been surprised about the lack of communication centrally from LGA since we were notified of our placements. Especially in light of the Brexit vote and jitters around that, even if not usual to do a cohort email at that time, given the circumstances they should've said something reassuring.

Best of luck working it out and I'm here if you want to share what's going on.
I know there are still a few candidates interviewing for councils and having the second round of interviews so pheraphs the LGA are waiting for everyone to be placed to give out more information
Don't know if anyone is still checking this since its been quiet for a while...
Has anyone seen whether a Facebook group has been set up for this year's cohort?
Think all info etc. incl. a Facebook group is being posted on khub now?
I think there's a link to a Facebook group on khub - that seems to where all the info is now?
Hello everyone,
I applied for the 2017 intake and awaiting the initial and online application outcome in January 17 as indicated on the website.
Regarding the "unrealistic timing" 12 min for 25 numerical questions and 12 min for 40 verbal questions, I guess the expectation is to answer up to
12 or 15 questions. Its madness to attempt to answer more otherwise you will simply get them all wrong unless you are lucky enough to randomly pick the right answers.
Can anyone on the scheme share their experiences please?
Original post by Manchester_Grad
Can anyone on the scheme share their experiences please?

What would you like to know in particular mate?
Original post by judahchandra

Just how are you finding the scheme? Do you recommend it?

Thanks for responding! I'd specifically like to know what specific tasks the assessment day and interview involve and how to best prepare for it.
I'm currently in Doncaster Council and have been working there for nearly 3 months now. I am finding the scheme very interesting and am happy where I am at. However, the thing is that you cannot generalise your experience. There are around 100 graduates who got through the scheme for Cohort 18 and each in a number of councils. Even in my council, the 2 other NMTs in my council are in different areas and their experience is totally different to mine i.e. different manager, team, tasks required, etc. Do I recommend it? Certainly. Whilst I've only done it for a few months now, there has been a lot of learning and absorbing information. Looking at where my other friends who have recently graduated and where they are now- I am aware that it is an immensely privileged position that I am in now.

RE. specific tasks for the assessment day- the NGDP deliberately doesn't really tell you how to prepare for it. They give you 3 tasks: a Presentation exercise, a group exercise, and a written exercise. If you get through to that stage- they will inform you appropriately of how to prepare for it. For fairness purposes I am not sure how much I can tell you except that they are pretty standard assessment centre exercises.

RE. the interviews- each council is different. The NGDP will give you a list of guidance of how best to prepare for them and each council will send you key documents to read in advance. It's a "best-fit interview" which means that since you've done the hard part of passing the previous tests- they want to see how well you fit into the council. Do your best to prepare for it, be honest, and at this stage it's highly unlikely you won't get a place. I fortunately passed all my council interviews and chose to come to Doncaster Council as I enjoyed its interview day the most and it had the best location for me.

All the best with it and hope that helps.

Judah
I'm currently in Doncaster Council and have been working there for nearly 3 months now. I am finding the scheme very interesting and am happy where I am at. However, the thing is that you cannot generalise your experience. There are around 100 graduates who got through the scheme for Cohort 18 and each in a number of councils. Even in my council, the 2 other NMTs in my council are in different areas and their experience is totally different to mine i.e. different manager, team, tasks required, etc. Do I recommend it? Certainly. Whilst I've only done it for a few months now, there has been a lot of learning and absorbing information. Looking at where my other friends who have recently graduated and where they are now- I am aware that it is an immensely privileged position that I am in now.

RE. specific tasks for the assessment day- the NGDP deliberately doesn't really tell you how to prepare for it. They give you 3 tasks: a Presentation exercise, a group exercise, and a written exercise. If you get through to that stage- they will inform you appropriately of how to prepare for it. For fairness purposes I am not sure how much I can tell you except that they are pretty standard assessment centre exercises.

RE. the interviews- each council is different. The NGDP will give you a list of guidance of how best to prepare for them and each council will send you key documents to read in advance. It's a "best-fit interview" which means that since you've done the hard part of passing the previous tests- they want to see how well you fit into the council. Do your best to prepare for it, be honest, and at this stage it's highly unlikely you won't get a place. I fortunately passed all my council interviews and chose to come to Doncaster Council as I enjoyed its interview day the most and it had the best location for me.

All the best with it and hope that helps.

Judah

Thank you very much Judah. Very insightful
Original post by Greens24
Just out of interest, have many people completed video interviews before... I've been to quite a few assessment centres, and had phone interviews etc but never a video interview.

Does anyone know if its face to face, or just recording your answers into a screen? All speculation I know.

Just hoping, as others probably are, that I can get through the more crude filtering and then get to a stage where I can pitch in a face to face environment.

I did and passed a video interview ( my first) for the Civil Service Fast Stream. the questions (8 of them) are pre-recorded in a series of video clips. They are read out to you and you are given ten second to formulate/ think of an answer before the answer recording starts automatically for two minutes during which you are expected to face the camera and answer the questions.
I hope this helps!
Anyone still waiting for the outcome of their online tests?
Original post by smiley7116
Anyone still waiting for the outcome of their online tests?

everyone is still so don't worry! :smile:

But you probably should know you are posting on last years thread
Original post by Manchester_Grad
everyone is still so don't worry! :smile:

But you probably should know you are posting on last years thread

Thanks! :smile: Not worrying as much as wondering what's up. Excited to find out what the outcome is. Are you an applicant or a NGDP trainee?
Original post by smiley7116
Thanks! :smile: Not worrying as much as wondering what's up. Excited to find out what the outcome is. Are you an applicant or a NGDP trainee?

i am an applicant too :smile: i think results are out on 25th jan by 5pm i read somewhere!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending