The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester Offer Holders 2017

Unless I'm not looking hard enough, then I haven't found an offer holders thread so I thought I'd make my own : ) Would be nice to get to know fellow offer holders! I think it's an incredible uni and fell in love with it when I went to the open day.

Course: Aerospace Engineering
Subjects: Maths, Physics, Spanish
Predicted Grades: ABB (Respectively)
Entry Requirements: AAB
Offer: Conditional, AAB
Firm/Insurance(?): Seriously considering firming it, but waiting for replies from my other choices.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I have an offer for Law. I'll put it as my insurance if I don't get an offer from Bristol.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Offer for management, waiting on other unis before I firm, insure or reject
Reply 3
Just firmed manchester for sociology & criminology
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I have an offer for Law. I'll put it as my insurance if I don't get an offer from Bristol.

Hi, do you mind me asking what your offer is?
Original post by toetothunder
Hi, do you mind me asking what your offer is?

AAA or Distinction + AA
Reply 6
I am an International Student, with an unconditional offer for Law.
Is it normal for unis to give you an offer higher than your predicted grades? I applied for law with target grades of AAB and my offer is for AAA. Could this be a mistake?
Reply 8
Original post by toetothunder
Is it normal for unis to give you an offer higher than your predicted grades? I applied for law with target grades of AAB and my offer is for AAA. Could this be a mistake?

Yes it is normal both Manchester and QMUL gave me offers a grade higher than my predicted grades like you.
Original post by TheThinkTank
You're going to have a great time people, amazing uni in an amazing city. Probably Bristol is the only comparable one with that balance, and the London Uni's, but London is £££££.

In my final year there now studying ChemEng, if you've got any questions I can help.

Are you doing bEng of mEng? Year in industry or not?
In my 4th year now, last year I was on placement. When I started on the course I was enrolled on BEng but it's very easy to move across as long as you get 60%+ during your first year.

Ok cool but I want to get into IB so would you recommend doing the bEng with industrial year? Btw Manchester will probably be my insurance with UCL being firm.
As far as I'm aware for Chemical Engineering Manchester only offers BEng (straight 3 years), MEng (straight 4 years) and MEng with year in industry (2 years at uni, placement year in which you do a dissertation and a few exams, then a final year at uni).

Interesting that you want to go into IB, certainly possible as an engineer, I'm the same. In fact this week I got an offer from Barclays IB for a summer internship before I head off travelling for a year. My placement year definitely helped me in getting it.

To be honest though what I would recommend is applying for the BEng in Manchester and just convert across after first year to straight MEng or MEng with industrial experience. That's what I did. The first two years of BEng and MEng have the exact same modules. The BEng course has slightly more lenient entry requirements if I remember right.

Oh yeah your right there is no bEng with an industrial year. I've actually got an offer for MEng with industrial year which has A*AA entry requirements, if I manage to get a spring week offer in the first year, should I consider transferring to BEng?

Wow that's great- did you do many EC's or did you really on the fact that you had done a placement? I've wanted to study chem eng for a few years now but IB as a job appealed to me more. When did you first decide you wanted to go into IB? Also did you do any internships for IB beforehand? Thanks for the help!
If I'm honest, I don't really know if me studying the MEng made a difference in my applications, it may of but I just don't know the answer to that. I only realised during my placement year that I wanted to work in IB and that engineering wasn't for me as a career.

For sure though the general route would be spring week in first year, summer placement in you penultimate year and then hopefully you convert the summer placement to full-time when you graduate or apply for grad schemes elsewhere if not.

I ran my halls football team during my second year, and also joined MUTIS (manchester university trading and investment society). Those were good things for me to talk about during interview. Then just the fact that I could talk about projects I'd done in a professional environment for examples of when I had shown certain skills they were looking for was very helpful.

This will be my first financial experience of any kind so I'm looking forward to it. I'd say any experience you can get before applying to summer internships, grad schemes etc helps massively during the application process. Many people don't have that experience esp at summer intern level so will make you stand out.

Ok fair enough, what kind of company did you work for during your placement year i.e oil and gas etc and how hard was it to get a job. Does the degree actually help in in industry, I've heard that the degree doesn't actually prepare you that well for work?

Yeah but clearly your cv was good enough writhing having internships on it because getting a summer placement is really hard, I think the conversions for Barclays are relatively high, correct me if I'm wrong.

I like football too so I'll try and get involved with that, were you involved much in that big Chemical Engineering sports day thing with all the departments in the country- I think it's called Frank Morton or something like that, and did you or do you recommend applying to competitions and stuff for the CV is is there not that much time to do those kind of things and still have fun? What actually happens in societies like MUTIS, do you just turn up to meetings and stuff, how do you get involved with it?

Ok good luck, you must be quite rich for a student with a placement and a summer internship soon to be in the bag, people must be jealous! Are you looking to convert the Barclays summer or will you use that experience to apply to grad schemes at bigger banks. Also, how much reading have you done on IB and do you have enough time with work/projects etc. Sorry for all the questions!
Course: Law with Criminology
Subjects: Sociology, Criminology, Psychology
Predicted Grades: unknown; too soon to tell as on Access to HE with only one completely assignment per subject (although I have three distinctions; it could go either way
Entry Requirements: 45 credits at distinction
Offer: 45 cedits at distinction (conditional)
Firm/Insurance(?): Firm. If not, off to MMU to do forensic psychology (prefer this over 'general' psychology) followed by GDL
i'll dm you

Hey i'm currently in first year and really want a placement next year preferably in O&G.

Any tips?
You're going to have a great time people, amazing uni in an amazing city. Probably Bristol is the only comparable one with that balance, and the London Uni's, but London is £££££.

In my final year there now studying ChemEng, if you've got any questions I can help.

Any advise on writing a personal statement for Chemical engineering?

Hi are you going just chem eng? or with year in industry etc?
Original post by Yahoogirl
Hi are you going just chem eng? or with year in industry etc?

yini
Original post by timster32
yini

would you mind giving me more detail about how it was like? for the yini? like what did you do, what kind of tests/exams you had in that year?
Original post by Yahoogirl
would you mind giving me more detail about how it was like? for the yini? like what did you do, what kind of tests/exams you had in that year?

I'm an offer holder, I don't go to Manchester. I was speaking on behalf of the guy you were asking- he is doing yini.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending