The Student Room Group

Copeland by-election.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/copeland-by-election/

Whilst I can take no joy from the Tories increasing their majority, I hope this will at least give the Inner M25 Protest Party the reality check that they desperately need.

With Labour only winning in 2015 by a 7% margin and a 62% leave vote all signs point to them losing a seat they've held since its creation in 1983 (and since 1935 in its previous incarnation).
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesN88

Whilst I can take no joy from the Tories increasing their majority, I hope this will at least give the Inner M25 Protest Party the reality check that they desperately need.

With Labour only winning in 2015 by a 7% margin and a 62% leave vote all signs point to them losing a seat they've held since its creation in 1983 (and since 1935 in its previous incarnation).

Labour is in terminal decline, its irrelevent in the 21st century, whats the point of labour? To defend the working class... the working class is no longr the majority it once was... someone will take them over one day either UKIP or Liberal Democrats as the main opposition but Conservatives are going to rule this country for a long time while oppositions go through a dramatic change, it doesn't help anyone but Conservatives.
Reply 2
This could be beautiful. If the Tories are willing to throw the kitchen sink here, I might join them on the ground.
Wonderful, absolutely wonderful - yet another blow for the left. This is going to give us a nice little taste of what's to come in 2020, so buckle up lefties, you're in for a bumpy ride!
Reply 4
It's an acid test for Corbyn. A constituency in a far flung corner of England that's been Labour continuously since 1935 but is almost completely devoid of the progressive left and the Metropolitan elite.

If Labour loses then could the party split in two?
We have to wait and see who gets chosen as a replacement by Labour before getting too excited. They could choose another Anti Corbyn popular MP eg Jim McMahon.
Reply 6
If Corbyn loses this, and he could do, what will he do? Reports of a dozen Labour MPs wanting to do the same thing as Reed.
That said I think it's safe to say this is the Tories to lose.
Original post by Len Goodman
Wonderful, absolutely wonderful - yet another blow for the left. This is going to give us a nice little taste of what's to come in 2020, so buckle up lefties, you're in for a bumpy ride!

The problem is not with the left per se, but rather the liberal left - what many call the 'regressive left'.

I think a resurgence of the old populist left could prove popular.

Just my opinion of course.
Original post by Rakas21
This could be beautiful. If the Tories are willing to throw the kitchen sink here, I might join them on the ground.

Considering you just lost a seat to the Lib Dems that you had a 24,000 majority in nearly, this wouldn't exactly be groundbreaking.

Do you want a one party state in which there is virtually no opposition to hold the government to account?

I don't get your radical shift of politics. You've gone from being a fairly liberal Tory who flirted with the Lib Dems to being a chest thumping populist who cares little about economics.
(edited 7 years ago)

Whilst Corbyn is useless I feel this decline is inspite of him rather than because. All he's doing is speeding it up a bit.

Would labour win this under any other leader who in all likeliness would be more pro eu? What realistically could Corbyn be doing to win seats like this?
Original post by AfricanPrinceXI
The problem is not with the left per se, but rather the liberal left - what many call the 'regressive left'.

I think a resurgence of the old populist left could prove popular.

Just my opinion of course.

Yes - I agree to a point. It's the regressives (i.e. feminists, cultural marxists) who shout racism, sexism, homophobia etc over every tiny little thing, and who have propelled leftism into the violent, unpatriotic, self-hating movement that it is today.

However the left in general still want uncontrolled immigration which completely alienates the white working class, and rightly turns them towards the vastly superior UKIP. Whatever way you look at it, the left are dead in the water and have nowhere to go, and I for one can't wait for Labour to turn into a fringe party.
Original post by Bornblue
Considering you just lost a seat to the Lib Dems that you had a 24,000 majority in nearly, this wouldn't exactly be groundbreaking.

Do you want a one party state in which there is virtually no opposition to hold the government to account?

I don't get your radical shift of politics. You've gone from being a fairly liberal Tory who flirted with the Lib Dems to being a chest pumping populist who cares little about economics.

Only 4 seats have been won by incumbent governments in the post war period and only one in the last 40 years.

Of course not but then i don't believe in opposition for opposition sake either nor restricting my choice of available votes which is the case as long as a the current party leaderships prevail outside the Tories.

My views have not changed and the reason i support the Tories here is precisely because of economics.. Corbyn must not be permitted to stay leader, he is an extremist.
Original post by Len Goodman
Yes - I agree to a point. It's the regressives (i.e. feminists, cultural marxists) who shout racism, sexism, homophobia etc over every tiny little thing, and who have propelled leftism into the violent, unpatriotic, self-hating movement that it is today.

However the left in general still want uncontrolled immigration which completely alienates the white working class, and rightly turns them towards the vastly superior UKIP. Whatever way you look at it, the left are dead in the water and have nowhere to go, and I for one can't wait for Labour to turn into a fringe party.

Agreed, biggest mistake of the left was allying themselves with cultural Marxist. It's time for a new kind of politics and I for one am looking forward to it.
Original post by Rakas21
Only 4 seats have been won by incumbent governments in the post war period and only one in the last 40 years.

Of course not but then i don't believe in opposition for opposition sake either nor restricting my choice of available votes which is the case as long as a the current party leaderships prevail outside the Tories.

My views have not changed and the reason i support the Tories here is precisely because of economics.. Corbyn must not be permitted to stay leader, he is an extremist.

We're living in unprecedented times and normal rules go out the window.
You have just lost a by-election in a seat that you had a massive majority in. You are now contesting a by-election in a leave area in which the Tory-UKIP total from last time exceeded the Labour total. It will hardly be revolutionary if the tories win.

May has few coherent economic policies. She's just jumped on a populist bandwagon. It seems your views have changed. Given your support of Osborne/Cameron/Clegg/ Alexander, I can't understand your support of May who seems to be taking a massive dump on most of what they achieved.
Original post by AfricanPrinceXI
Agreed, biggest mistake of the left was allying themselves with cultural Marxist. It's time for a new kind of politics and I for one am looking forward to it.

Pretty much Sanders in America.
He rejects identity politics and focuses almost exclusively on economics.
Reply 16
Whilst Corbyn is useless I feel this decline is inspite of him rather than because. All he's doing is speeding it up a bit.

Would labour win this under any other leader who in all likeliness would be more pro eu? What realistically could Corbyn be doing to win seats like this?

Honestly at this point I have no idea.
Honestly at this point I have no idea.

Part of me now wishes the party would have encouraged him to be a leading face of the leave campaign (which we all know he wanted to). Wonder if it would have made him more popular with the working classes.
Pretty much Sanders in America.
He rejects identity politics and focuses almost exclusively on economics.

Then why were all the Tumblr/SJW millennials supporting Sanders instead of Killary? And Sanders is a complete hypocrite. He spent the entire duration of the primarys moaning about the banks and then supported Wall Street Killary in the main.
(edited 7 years ago)
We're living in unprecedented times and normal rules go out the window.
You have just lost a by-election in a seat that you had a massive majority in. You are now contesting a by-election in a leave area in which the Tory-UKIP total from last time exceeded the Labour total. It will hardly be revolutionary if the tories win.

May has few coherent economic policies. She's just jumped on a populist bandwagon. It seems your views have changed. Given your support of Osborne/Cameron/Clegg/ Alexander, I can't understand your support of May who seems to be taking a massive dump on most of what they achieved.

Sure but it would be symbolic at the least, not least since Labour have held the seat since 1931.

Your forgetting that i'm a pragmatist and that Hammond is yet to make any significant economic changes (the budget was hardly a radical shift to the left), i have no real reason to abhor what they are doing as yet. Being a pragmatist i will vote for the closest party to me even if not exact and since my current choice involves an extremist, a social democrat and the Kippers, i think i'll stick with the Tories.

Quick Reply

Latest