The Student Room Group

Can't decide between 2 universities

I want to do computer science, and I have received offers from Aston and Nottingham. Both are ranked in the top 30 respectively, with Aston in the top 10 for computer science in the Guardian rankings. I know that these rankings must be taken with a pinch of salt, however, this shows that Aston's computer science department is respected and can teach to a certain degree.

Now Nottingham has a better campus, is Russell group, and is seen as the better university on the whole in terms of prestige and reputation.

Nottingham and Aston both have fairly good computer science departments, however I feel as if I would have a better experience at Aston. Smaller university, more sociable. Very close to where I live, so no need of accomodation.

Would firming Aston be crazy, seeing as it is generally the less 'prestigious' uni?

I would have a better experience there as opposed to Nottingham. I'm from birmimgham and Aston is slap bang in the centre of Birmingham, I would have a better experience there.

I'll also be doing a year in industry at Aston so I'll have that much needed experience when I finish my degree.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Whilst you will save money, you will miss out on a lot of university life if you live at home. I think that you meet a greater variety of people if you live in university halls for a year- particularly in a campus university. If you're happy meeting no one but computer scientists then Aston should be fine.
Just because you're at Nottingham doesn't mean you couldn't do a placement in Aston.
Thread moved to a more relevant section :smile:
Original post by Spratty
I want to do computer science, and I have received offers from Aston and Nottingham. Both are ranked in the top 30 respectively, with Aston in the top 10 for computer science in the Guardian rankings. I know that these rankings must be taken with a pinch of salt, however, this shows that Aston's computer science department is respected and can teach to a certain degree.

Now Nottingham has a better campus, is Russell group, and is seen as the better university on the whole in terms of prestige and reputation.

Nottingham and Aston both have fairly good computer science departments, however I feel as if I would have a better experience at Aston. Smaller university, more sociable. Very close to where I live, so no need of accomodation.

Would firming Aston be crazy, seeing as it is generally the less 'prestigious' uni?

I would have a better experience there as opposed to Nottingham. I'm from birmimgham and Aston is slap bang in the centre of Birmingham, I would have a better experience there.

I'll also be doing a year in industry at Aston so I'll have that much needed experience when I finish my degree.

Thanks!

Nottingham hands down. It was seen as a top 10 university in the 90s, and although it isn't quite in that league right now, given the resources they are investing into the university, it won't be long before it is near that level. Not just in the rankings, but more so the calibre of students it attracts, and the hype it gets. It is a very underrated university on TSR. The campuses, the buildings, the halls of residence all reek of quality.
I wouldn't take Aston over Nottingham even if Aston was rated No.1 in some league table nobody cared about. League tables do not indicate prestige.
Nottingham>Aston any day of the week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
A year in industry counts for a lot in computer science. If Nottingham doesn't offer that then Aston is the clear choice from my point of view.

Don't worship at the temple of the Russell Group. Aston, along with Leicester and St Andrew's, is one of many excellent UK universities not in the self-declared group. And living at home is a sensible choice that many students make to save money. You can still have a university experience this way and there's nothing stopping you moving in with friends later if you feel you would like to.
This is not a bad choice. It's eminently sensible, career focused, and rational. Don't be swayed by the very biased opinions you often find on here re: the Russell Group and living at home. Students and graduates moan and moan about the cost of living but then sneer at the idea of someone actively avoiding a good 50% of the debt that most students graduate with. You don't need that kind of reasoning affecting your decisions.
Original post by giella
A year in industry counts for a lot in computer science. If Nottingham doesn't offer that then Aston is the clear choice from my point of view.

Don't worship at the temple of the Russell Group. Aston, along with Leicester and St Andrew's, is one of many excellent UK universities not in the self-declared group. And living at home is a sensible choice that many students make to save money. You can still have a university experience this way and there's nothing stopping you moving in with friends later if you feel you would like to.
This is not a bad choice. It's eminently sensible, career focused, and rational. Don't be swayed by the very biased opinions you often find on here re: the Russell Group and living at home. Students and graduates moan and moan about the cost of living but then sneer at the idea of someone actively avoiding a good 50% of the debt that most students graduate with. You don't need that kind of reasoning affecting your decisions.

The year in industry may not be guaranteed, and you may have to apply and get the place for yourself, as with regular jobs. Also, the calibre of the company that may offer the placement needs to be looked into.
Original post by Magic Streets
Nottingham hands down. It was seen as a top 10 university in the 90s, and although it isn't quite in that league right now, given the resources they are investing into the university, it won't be long before it is near that level. Not just in the rankings, but more so the calibre of students it attracts, and the hype it gets. It is a very underrated university on TSR. The campuses, the buildings, the halls of residence all reek of quality.

Obvious Nottingham student/alumnus detected.

It's nowhere near the top 10 nowadays, more like top 25. It's actually quite sad how far Nottingham has fallen in the past decade.

Original post by Spratty

Thanks!

I think you have answered your own question. Living in Birmingham you would also save yourself from graduating with a lot of debt.
I don't know anything about computer science, but I live very near to Nottingham and I know a lot about the uni. You said you think you'd have a better time at Aston because it's in the centre of Birmingham, but Nottingham is in quite a central place too and the city is very lively. Also Nottingham uni has so many extracurricular societies and stuff like that that I'm sure you'd be able to have a great time there too :smile:
Original post by CompSci16
Obvious Nottingham student/alumnus detected.

It's nowhere near the top 10 nowadays, more like top 25. It's actually quite sad how far Nottingham has fallen in the past decade.

I think you have answered your own question. Living in Birmingham you would also save yourself from graduating with a lot of debt.

I'm not a Nottingham student or graduate (UCL infact). And Nottingham is not a top 25 university, that is ridiculous. The UK league tables (in which Nottingham ranks in at 20th and 21st in the Times and CUG tables) are not a premier league of universities. Nottingham is part of the elite Russell Group, a top 10 university for REF by research power, and a top 10 university for annual income (approx £600 million). They also feature in at =75th in the QS World rankings, and second only to Manchester last year for top graduate employer targeting from the Times top 100 graduate employers list. They also came 15th for taking the highest proportion of AAB+ students on intake.

Certainly Nottingham cannot now be seen as a top 10 university, but they are still easily a top 15 university, based on the evidence provided. Aston is only a top 35-40 university at best.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Not a Nottingham Student but was considering it and completely disregarding league tables and top whatever Nottingham is such a good university. Great city, comp sci staff are great. Student union is also one of the biggest. I would Aston's ok, by no means bad and at the end of the day its personal preference - consider what's the most integral requirements for you are and which university offers that?
I'm not a Nottingham student or graduate (UCL infact). And Nottingham is not a top 25 university, that is ridiculous. The UK league tables (in which Nottingham ranks in at 20th and 21st in the Times and CUG tables) are not a premier league of universities. Nottingham is part of the elite Russell Group, a top 10 university for REF by research power, and a top 10 university for annual income (approx £600 million). They also feature in at =75th in the QS World rankings, and second only to Manchester last year for top graduate employer targeting from the Times top 100 graduate employers list. They also came 15th for taking the highest proportion of AAB+ students on intake.

Certainly Nottingham cannot now be seen as a top 10 university, but they are still easily a top 15 university, based on the evidence provided. Aston is only a top 35-40 university at best.

Oh God, your whole reply just reeks of insecurity. With all these stats, it's more likely you work for Nottingham's publicity Office.

The Times Higher Education World Ranking places it 22nd in the UK. The domestic league tables are being generous by placing it 20th/21st.

How much money a university earns has nothing to do with the quality of the university. Leeds has the 8th highest income in the UK, does that suddenly mean it's a top 10 university?? Furthermore, the proportion of the income which is derived from research income is very very little compared to its peers suggesting that it's not very good at winning research contracts.

Top 15? These universities are easily better than Nottingham:
Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, Edinburgh, UCL, St Andrew's, King's, Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Manchester, Exeter, Bath, York, Glasgow. And there are at least another further five universities which are on par with Nottingham.
Oh God, your whole reply just reeks of insecurity. With all these stats, it's more likely you work for Nottingham's publicity Office.

The Times Higher Education World Ranking places it 22nd in the UK. The domestic league tables are being generous by placing it 20th/21st.

How much money a university earns has nothing to do with the quality of the university. Leeds has the 8th highest income in the UK, does that suddenly mean it's a top 10 university?? Furthermore, the proportion of the income which is derived from research income is very very little compared to its peers suggesting that it's not very good at winning research contracts.

Top 15? These universities are easily better than Nottingham:
Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, Edinburgh, UCL, St Andrew's, King's, Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Manchester, Exeter, Bath, York, Glasgow. And there are at least another further five universities which are on par with Nottingham.

Better at what exactly? Have you been to the campuses? Do all these universities offer Medicine or Veterinary Science? I'm defending Nottingham because your own position on Aston is so absurd it was bound to attract criticism.

Nottingham is ahead of Bath, and no worse than York (probably slightly better infact). Bath is great for undergraduate education, but beyond that it isn't that good. Although I don't regard UK league tables, it is strange that Exeter was ranked in at 46th in 2007. Not yet a World top 100 university (at least not anymore).

If you want to know, all the stats I gave are straight from their own website. If you want to bring some stats of your own to show that somehow other universities are ''better'', then let everyone see them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ive heard astons really good with computing and the atmosphere there is really good aswell

Better at what exactly? Have you been to the campuses? Do all these universities offer Medicine or Veterinary Science? I'm defending Nottingham because your own position on Aston is so absurd it was bound to attract criticism.

Nottingham is ahead of Bath, and no worse than York (probably slightly better infact). Bath is great for undergraduate education, but beyond that it isn't that good.

If you want to know, all the stats I gave are straight from their own website. If you want to bring some stats of your own to show that somehow other universities are ''better'', then let everyone see them.

I'm telling them to choose Aston because they, themselves, said they'll enjoy Aston more than Nottingham. What exactly is so absurd about that?
What I found absurd was you claiming that Nottingham was anywhere near Top 10 university level. It is firmly Top 25 and Top 20 at a stretch.

We're discussing Computer Science, whether a university offers Medicine or Vet Med (a subject Oxford doesn't offer, but Liverpool does), bears no relevance to this thread.

P.S. even the Conservatoire of Dance and Drama has a higher proportion of AAB+ students than Nottingham.
I'm telling them to choose Aston because they, themselves, said they'll enjoy Aston more than Nottingham. What exactly is so absurd about that?
What I found absurd was you claiming that Nottingham was anywhere near Top 10 university level. It is firmly Top 25 and Top 20 at a stretch.

We're discussing Computer Science, whether a university offers Medicine or Vet Med (a subject Oxford doesn't offer, but Liverpool does), bears no relevance to this thread.

P.S. even the Conservatoire of Dance and Drama has a higher proportion of AAB+ students than Nottingham.

A matter of speculative garbage and a delusion from reality. If you have any facts to share, please do so. Only until the last 2-3 years was Nottingham described as a prime alternative to Oxbridge by the Times.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
A matter of speculative garbage and a delusion from reality. If you have any facts to share, please do so. Only until the last 2-3 years was Nottingham described as a prime alternative to Oxbridge by the Times.

I find it hard to believe this.
Original post by Spratty

Thanks!

Go with Aston. You yourself said you would enjoy being at Aston more than Nottingham. Also, doing a year in industry will make you more employable than not doing one.
At the end of the day, it's your decision, so go with your gut instinct

Nottingham is ahead of Bath, and no worse than York (probably slightly better infact). Bath is great for undergraduate education, but beyond that it isn't that good. Although I don't regard UK league tables, it is strange that Exeter was ranked in at 46th in 2007. Not yet a World top 100 university (at least not anymore).

You do realise only 8 unis in the UK offer veterinary medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending