The Student Room Group

Does seeing an ex's name make you feel sickly?

Kind of as the title says. I feel nothing for my ex and have zero desire to go back, or anything like that. But every time I see someone with her name, for whatever reason, it makes me feel a bit sick or weird.

Is this normal? I mean, I don't care about her at all but the name really does stick at me, for whatever reason.
I mean, I'd have thought 6 months would be ample time, you know? It's a bit annoying because the name was "Liv", which of course sounds like the word "live"; thus I hear it a lot even though it's not even a name they mean.

I guess it does take time, and only seems to flare up on days where I feel slightly more lonely/wishing for someone. Ahh, hearts are bloody weird. Thank you for your advice though ^^
Oh trust me, a year on this still happens to me. Worst thing is, I used to love guys with his name haha, now it just reminds me of him, kinda ruined it.
Original post by Sabby888
Oh trust me, a year on this still happens to me. Worst thing is, I used to love guys with his name haha, now it just reminds me of him, kinda ruined it.

I can understand. My first love didn't end on a negative note but I can't see her name and not get upset. I almost fear sometimes I'll see a beautiful girl and find they have the same name hahah...

Haha s***, this is gonna take a lot longer than I thought then, huh? Well, it's good to know you got over it without dating someone else. I don't like my chances and would love to sort it myself.
Original post by SkyRees
I can understand. My first love didn't end on a negative note but I can't see her name and not get upset. I almost fear sometimes I'll see a beautiful girl and find they have the same name hahah...

Haha, that would be pretty unlucky. Reminds me of CTFxC on Youtube, the guy's last two exes were called Alli, and his current girlfriend is called Alli too. Think they're all three spelt differently though. Allie, Alli, Ally, something like that.

Unluckily for me, my ex's name is pretty common.

Oh, important NB. I don't think getting over them makes the name completely normal again to you. At least for me, I think even after I'm totally, absolutely over him the name'll still have a little effect on me. Depending on the depth of your relationship at the time, the name probably will always remind you of them (at least subconsciously), and that's okay.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sabby888
Haha, that would be pretty unlucky. Reminds me of CTFxC on Youtube, the guy's last two exes were called Alli, and his current girlfriend is called Alli too. Think they're all three spelt differently though. Allie, Alli, Ally, something like that.

Unluckily for me, my ex's name is pretty common.

That's pretty unlucky for both of you tbh. I don't think either of mine are super common, but I've heard them enough it's a problem as well haha...
Original post by SkyRees
Kind of as the title says. I feel nothing for my ex and have zero desire to go back, or anything like that. But every time I see someone with her name, for whatever reason, it makes me feel a bit sick or weird.

Is this normal? I mean, I don't care about her at all but the name really does stick at me, for whatever reason.

I'm sure its normal, if anything- my case is the weird one XD

I was in a relationship with my best friend, and we are (I'd like to think) best friends up to this day. We ended on really good terms, and he was really nice about it. I don't think many people could face meeting their ex, let alone be their best friend- but before we started going out I make him promise that no matter what happened, it wouldn't ruin our friendship. He's kept his promise, and he knows that if it makes him uncomfortable he can always be honest with me.
How can people be this sensitive?
Funnily enough it's exactly that situation, or close enough; about to leave the country, I cut all contact and it ended on a very bad note (cheating with the person she'd emphatically said she held no interest in).

There were good memories of which I feel the need to just forget, I don't know if that's necessarily the right approach though. But yeah, you're right; fortunately, I've only seen one other with that name since then, and didn't make direct contact. I'll take your advice on board.

Original post by l'etranger
How can people be this sensitive?

Well...I don't know. I'm not that mentally healthy in general, if that contributes. I know it's not a great attribute. I'm trying.
Nope. I feel nothing whatsoever.
Nope.
Nope, my ears perk up a bit because it's obvs a name a I'm familiar with, but no feelings really come to mind. That said, all my exes had very generic names so I hear them a lot and maybe I'm desensitized to it :dontknow:
yeahhh
because of all the history and past intense emotions tied to the person
Original post by SkyRees

Well...I don't know. I'm not that mentally healthy in general, if that contributes. I know it's not a great attribute. I'm trying.

Being sensitive isn't a bad thing. It doesn't mean you're "not mentally healthy". It's simply a quality describing who you are, like whether you're short or tall, don't let anyone make you feel ashamed of it.

Believe it or not, feeling things so deeply can be a beautiful thing too.
Yo I’m from Sacramento California, looks like you from the Uk by your usage of bloody LOL. But anyway I actually have searched long for a response like yours, this is exactly how I feel and you are right, it’s on days I feel more lonely it’s been 6 months for me now almost and I saw her the other day and literally went home and stayed in my room because it triggered some bad feelings. Hearts are hella weird forsuree. Time and God are the only two things I found that helped me. Pray and ask God to heal your heart and find the clarity for why she wasn’t the one and how you are better now because of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending