The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Between 1980 and 2005 you nutsack. Now its roughly 80% radical islamic, with the top groups being Boko Haram, ISIS and the Communists in Columbia.

In other words, the Huffington post is being intellectually dishonest.
Original post by Hydeman
Who is 'people?' Outside of groups like the EDL, almost nobody blames all Muslims for terror attacks. It's remarkable that you make a point against a foolish generalisation by making one yourself.

Nobel prizes mean almost nothing on this subject, and that goes both ways, e.g. Richard Dawkins's tweet using a similar reasoning for the opposite conclusion was fallacious on many counts.

The peace prize especially is of no value - Henry Kissinger has one, for Christ's sake, as do a number of others who've done nothing directly related to peace.

And the same to you.

A lot of people blame Muslims for these attacks. The fact that someone like Donald Trump won and Marine Le Pen, a blatant enemy of French Muslims, is so close to the presidency shows that anti-Islam and anti-Muslim sentiment is widespread, not just restricted to a tiny proportion of the population.
Article written by a guy called Omar, shocking stuff!

But the elephant in the room (which is a hate fact) is that muslims account for only 1% of the US population, but disproportionately represented in acts of terrorism.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Between 1980 and 2005 you nutsack. Now its roughly 80% radical islamic, with the top groups being Boko Haram, ISIS and the Communists in Columbia.

Note that the title refers to US and European terror attacks. I very much doubt Boko Haram and FARC are among the top in that category.
It says in the quraan that us muslims will get tortured first...

No need to insult me when I haven't insulted you. Where is your source for the 80% statistic?

Either way, the point I was making was that Muslims are generally so far from being terrorists that all the anger and all the anti-Muslim sentiment is unjustified. Terrorism is as much our enemy as it is yours. I'm sure that you agree. Thank you for your comment.
Original post by Mekkiii

But the elephant in the room (which is a hate fact) is that muslims account for only 1% of the US population, but disproportionately represented in acts of terrorism.

Yes his name is Omar, and your point is?

We can't continue to blame an entire community of 1.6 billion people for the acts of a dozen or so people. If we want to tackle terror attacks, all communities need to get involved, not just Muslims.
Original post by Trapz99
This is very thought provoking, actually. I didn't know it was so low.

Exactly!
Original post by BigTraderBoi
No need to insult me when I haven't insulted you. Where is your source for the 80% statistic?

Either way, the point I was making was that Muslims are generally so far from being terrorists that all the anger and all the anti-Muslim sentiment is unjustified. Terrorism is as much our enemy as it is yours. I'm sure that you agree. Thank you for your comment.

http://economicsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Global-Terrorism-Index-2015.pdf page 4

I think you should have read the article before posting it, because that's blatant intellectual dishonesty on the part of HuffPo.
Yes his name is Omar, and your point is?

We can't continue to blame an entire community of 1.6 billion people for the acts of a dozen or so people. If we want to tackle terror attacks, all communities need to get involved, not just Muslims.

Theres a problem when more often than not, one religion is responsible for terror attacks.
I do agree communities need to get involved, muslim communities because when they is a terror attack its always "they dont represent us" or "you cant play billions of people for a few people."
The Huffington Post is a far-left clickbait rag. Of course they're going to manipulate statistics to massively downplay the violent nature of the Islamists. Tell me, leftie liberals - when was the last time a white man deliberately rammed a truck into a group of innocent citizens? When was the last time a white man opened fire in a busy nightclub? You need to stop painting Islamists as heroes and white men as the enemy.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/omar-alnatour/muslims-are-not-terrorist_b_8718000.html

And yet people still blame Muslims when the vast majority of us are less likely to commit terror attacks than other groups. If the Islamophobes actually cared about stopping deaths rather than bashing Muslims they would talk about the threat of white-supremacist attacks instead!

And also, if you can blame an entire group of 1.6 billion people as terrorists, you can also label us as peacemakers since 5 of the last 12 Nobel Peace Prize winners have been Muslims.

Gives you something to think about. Love for all, hatred for none. Hope you guys all have a wonderful day.

That would depend on the definition of terrorism.

I agree with one that I saw earlier on this thread, as used in the oxford dictionary:
'The unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims'.

Even if you disagree with this working definition of terrorism, the use of violence and intimidation for political aims still exists.

I don't think anyone can blame an entire group of 1.6 billion people as terrorist. Thing is, very few people do. Don;t let the extreme minority of such people get to you. Also don;t make it out like its the majority view. I am not saying that's what your doing - I am just saying to be wary.

Also think about the purpose of your thread title. What does it imply? If 98% of terror attacks were done by Muslims, would ti justify 'islamaphobia'. Because someone using the oxford dictionary definition might be able to complete flip this statistic on its head.

However, I am still unsure what your agenda is. Care to explain?
Original post by Mekkiii

Stay classy.
http://economicsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Global-Terrorism-Index-2015.pdf page 4

I think you should have read the article before posting it, because that's blatant intellectual dishonesty on the part of HuffPo.

On the seventh page it says:
"Islamic fundamentalism was not the main cause of terrorism in the West over the last nine years. Eighty per cent of deaths by lone wolf terrorists in the West were driven by right wing extremism, nationalism, anti- government sentiment and political extremism and other forms of supremacy"
Original post by Len Goodman
The Huffington Post is a far-left clickbait rag. Of course they're going to manipulate statistics to massively downplay the violent nature of the Islamists. Tell me, leftie liberals - when was the last time a white man deliberately rammed a truck into a group of innocent citizens? When was the last time a white man opened fire in a busy nightclub? You need to stop painting Islamists as heroes and white men as the enemy.

1)Easy, this year in Bath http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38404875
2) Don't know about in a nightclub, but there are mass shootings in the US every week and most of them aren't done by Muslims.

I don't think any terrorists are heroes. I hate the terrorists as much as non-Muslims do. Any Muslim that kills innocents is not someone who represents us.
(edited 7 years ago)
"Islamic fundamentalism was not the main cause of terrorism in the West over the last nine years. Eighty per cent of deaths by lone wolf terrorists in the West were driven by right wing extremism, nationalism, anti- government sentiment and political extremism and other forms of supremacy"

Exactly this.

Do people actually think these terrorists kill for their religion? No. Their murderous atrocities ALWAYS come from political instability / dispute, from conflict, from western influence in Middle Eastern countries. As much as I despise all forms of religion, Muslims don't just suddenly snap and decide to kill westerners because of their faith, they are usually politicised into it by things like IS or by the Syrian war, or the Arab spring...

I don't remember the bataclan attackers being reported to say that they did it for their faith, but rather they talked about Francois Hollande and his bombing of IS in Syria.
The fact that someone like Donald Trump won

The U.S. election wasn't a referendum on Muslims. You should really read beyond the headlines...

Not to mention the system by which the president is elected effectively disenfranchises most people; even so, Trump lost the popular vote by quite a margin. So this point doesn't really stand.

Marine Le Pen, a blatant enemy of French Muslims is so close to the presidency

You have more of a point here. Many French people do indeed have a lot of resentment for Muslims. However, you ignore that France, having suffered as many major terror attacks as it has, is not representative of all non-Muslims (something which really ought to be obvious anyway).

shows that anti-Islam and anti-Muslim sentiment is widespread, not just restricted to a tiny proportion of the population.

Anti-Islam sentiment is one thing, but the claim here is that 'people' blame all Muslims for terrorism. That doesn't follow from anti-Islam sentiment alone, which is itself often no more than a general opposition to organised religion.

Muslims too are for the most part anti-every other religion in the sense that they don't think they're true and would not like them to increase in influence at the expense of Islam, so I don't really get why this accusation is thrown around as if it's some appalling sin to be opposed to Islam. :holmes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
The U.S. election wasn't a referendum on Muslims. You should really read beyond the headlines...

Not to mention the system by which the president is elected effectively disenfranchises most people; even so, Trump lost the popular vote by quite a margin. So this point doesn't really stand.

You have more of a point here. Many French Muslims do indeed have a lot of resentment for Muslims. However, you ignore that France, having suffered as many major terror attacks as it has, is not representative of all non-Muslims (something which really ought to be obvious anyway).

Anti-Islam sentiment is one thing, but the claim here is that 'people' blame all Muslims for terrorism. That doesn't follow from anti-Islam sentiment alone, which is itself often no more than a general opposition to organised religion.

Muslims too are for the most part anti-every other religion in the sense that they don't think they're true and would not like them to increase in influence at the expense of Islam, so I don't really get why this accusation is thrown around as if it's some appalling sin to be opposed to Islam. :holmes:

hardly any Muslims I know are 'against every other religion', people way too often confuse the radical preachers who have loud voices with the average Muslim
Original post by allnewmaterials
Terrorism is, according to the oxford dictionary, 'The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims'. A gang shooting is not for political aims, a school shooting is not for political aims. Killing civilians to establish a Caliphate or implement Sharia law is a political aim.

Bingo

Posted from TSR Mobile

What, so people in the developing world don't matter? Besides, most of the deaths are down to Brevik.

Latest

Trending

Trending