The Student Room Group

Highest paying careers after a STEM degree?

I'm studying maths and physics at the University of York. I was originally planning on pursuing a career in patent law however I fear I'm just not smart enough, particularly as they take into account GCSE's and A-levels which weren't good for me. So my question is what are some of the highest paying jobs you can get with a STEM degree with or with postgraduate study?
Original post by Trackstar
I'm studying maths and physics at the University of York. I was originally planning on pursuing a career in patent law however I fear I'm just not smart enough, particularly as they take into account GCSE's and A-levels which weren't good for me. So my question is what are some of the highest paying jobs you can get with a STEM degree with or with postgraduate study?

Shouldn't you be looking at careers (where you'll spend 60%+ of your time) from an interest perspective? Rather than a purely monetary one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Footballer.
Reply 3

Investment banking -> Private equity -> (10 years later) -> £1 million a year
Original post by Trapz99

OR
IB (for 2-3 years) -> $1 billion Hedge Fund -> 1 mil a year (after 4-5 years). With a Hedge Fund you will earn more than your investment banking counterparts but you need to go to at least a $1 bil Fund, otherwise no point.
Original post by Mystery.
Footballer.

You don't need a degree for that m8 :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Samendra
OR
IB (for 2-3 years) -> $1 billion Hedge Fund -> 1 mil a year (after 4-5 years). With a Hedge Fund you will earn more than your investment banking counterparts but you need to go to at least a $1 bil Fund, otherwise no point.

lol I don't think hedge fund people earn £1 million a year after just 4-5 years. They're like 28 years old by then.
Original post by Trapz99
lol I don't think hedge fund people earn £1 million a year after just 4-5 years. They're like 28 years old by then.

Shhh... you gotta let these IB folk live in their fantasy world lol
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
Shouldn't you be looking at careers (where you'll spend 60%+ of your time) from an interest perspective? Rather than a purely monetary one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely, I just wan't to get an idea of the pay range.
Reply 9
Original post by Trapz99

is that realistic though?
is that realistic though?

No it's very competitive to get into. There are 100+ applicants for every job.
Reply 11
Original post by Trapz99
No it's very competitive to get into. There are 100+ applicants for every job.

thought so
Absolutely, I just wan't to get an idea of the pay range.

Sure but a degree nowadays means you can basically do any career (granted you're good enough) from grad entry med, law conversion, to generalist grad schemes, finance, software engineering, traditional engineering, sales whatever..

So best to start from an interest point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
You can easily actually, all in you could make 1 mil after 5 years into a good Fund, remember this is after 2-3 years in IB. After 5 years you would be a research analyst or a junior trader depending on your performance, you bonus could well be £500000-600000. Including base you are looking at £800000-1000000.
You can easily actually, all in you could make 1 mil after 5 years into a good Fund, remember this is after 2-3 years in IB. After 5 years you would be a research analyst or a junior trader depending on your performance, you bonus could well be £500000-600000. Including base you are looking at £800000-1000000.

Source?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfrRsTd_-mE
check this vid out, its a bit long but watch the first 10min to get the idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfrRsTd_-mE
check this vid out, its a bit long but watch the first 10min to get the idea

Loool anton kreil smh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by princepieman
loool anton kreil smh

posted from tsr mobile

loooolll
The requirements for patent law aren't as high as you think they are.
Original post by Trapz99

Yeah.. typical post-banking HF comp is pretty similar to what you'd make in banking as an associate but with a small premium.

Some people do make bank tho, so it depends. Like I know a guy who's been at a $2bn fund in NY for like 5 years who pulls in ~$600k as a mid-level analyst (not the banking type of analyst).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending