The Student Room Group

4 more famous people dead in the last 48 hrs. What's wrong with this damned year?

4 more famous people have died in just 48 hours adding to the massive amount of famous people to die in 2016.

George Michael
Liz Smith
Richard Adams
Carrie Fisher.

How is this happening? Yes death is natural but this is beyond statistical averages that a record number of famous people have died this year.

I can count at least 50 famous people from the top of my head who've died this year. Other years I'd have struggled to count 10 people!

Why is this happening? Its like there was some supernatural force that's taking our celebs away. :frown:

How many more will we loose in the last few days of 2016?

Scroll to see replies

They were all pretty irrelevant at their time of death so it isn't really that big a deal.
Doesn't somebody die every 8 seconds, on average?

'Regular' people, that is.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
They were all pretty irrelevant at their time of death so it isn't really that big a deal.

It is a big deal, they were and still are well known, respected and legends. They had family that cared about them and to say it isn't a big deal is terrible, imagine how they feel? People die every day, I'm aware of that fact but being in the public eye, of course it will be publicised and talked about a lot. It's just so sad. :frown:
Probably because most of the 'famous' people were a tad on the older side and hence, more likely to succumb anyway. They're generally the people regarded as 'famous' in the western world by those who were young in the 70s-90s.

Ask a 12 year old who died this year and they'll probably tell you 'that guy who played snape died I think'. They won't notice any celebrity deaths until they hit an age where those they revere become more susceptible to corking it.

It's observation bias. A few prominent celebrities died earlier on this year and now whenever another celebrity dies we associate it with '2016'.

'2016' does not kill people. Age and illness does.
Reply 5
The rise of entertainment industry post war. The earliest enetering their critical years. It's the norm now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhythmical
It is a big deal, they were and still are well known, respected and legends. They had family that cared about them and to say it isn't a big deal is terrible, imagine how they feel? People die every day, I'm aware of that fact but being in the public eye, of course it will be publicised and talked about a lot. It's just so sad. :frown:

Oh please, it isn't a big deal to anyone except the person's friends and family.
Original post by Hippysnake
Probably because most of the 'famous' people were a tad on the older side and hence, more likely to succumb anyway. They're generally the people regarded as 'famous' in the western world by those who were young in the 70s-90s.

Ask a 12 year old who died this year and they'll probably tell you 'that guy who played snape died I think'. They won't notice any celebrity deaths until they hit an age where those they revere become more susceptible to corking it.

It's observation bias. A few prominent celebrities died earlier on this year and now whenever another celebrity dies we associate it with '2016'.

The real reason is probably that people who were famous around the 60's-80's are now getting old making them likely to die, this is the new normal if anything.
It really hasn't been a bad year, no worse than any other, several major figures die every day every year, it's part of there being over 7 billion people in the world and a very significant number of significant people.

Oh, and it's hardly a big deal somebody who is only known is small circles has died at the age of NINETY SIX
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm sad to hear about Carrie Fisher.
Original post by Hippysnake

This is true . As I get older , death becomes more apparent . I remember when princess Diana died in the 90s and it was all over the news but I didn't really understand what it meant.

Now, I'm much more aware ! What's worse, these celebs are similar ages to my parents and relatives . There's also many people I know who have lost their parents this year, it's frightening .
Everyone has a grave to go to at the end of the day, no matter if you are a celebrity or a regular person...
To be fair one was 96, another was a drug user and the other recently suffered a heart attack.Given that she reportedly stopped breathing for 10 minutes it's hardly unexpected. You can't stop breathing for 10 minutes and expect to be fine.At the very least she'd have brain damage. I'm just waiting for the news that the queens heavy cold was actually pneumonia or perhaps the plague to finish the year off.Still 4 days to go yet.
Oh please, it isn't a big deal to anyone except the person's friends and family.

I love your username :wink:
Original post by Mathemagicien
But who cares about us mere plebs?

Not the same mass audience , granted. Our close family and friends do (at least I hope they do :colone:)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Some people seem to care as much or more about celebrities than their families/friends... For example, some celebrity deaths caused a spike in suicides.

This is true! Wasn't their suicides when take that broke up? This is the world we live in !
its going to become the new normal.. we are reaching the point where people famous in the 70s-80s are now getting to the age where they will start to die away.. Celebrity culture boomed in the western world in those decades, and is still growing today. The reason more famous people are dying year by year, is because back then year by year there were simply more and more famous people. Compare the number of prominant celebrities that everyday folk could name from the 1930s to present day, and you would see a huge growth in how many people we are aware of.

Just think about what its going to be like in 30-50 years when the huge huge number (much bigger then the 80s) of people who are 'famous' today, start to die..
Original post by Supernova91
This is true . As I get older , death becomes more apparent . I remember when princess Diana died in the 90s and it was all over the news but I didn't really understand what it meant.

Now, I'm much more aware ! What's worse, these celebs are similar ages to my parents and relatives . There's also many people I know who have lost their parents this year, it's frightening .

Coming to terms with the eventual mortality of yourself and your loved ones is a crucial part of developing wisdom.

A lot of people don't even consider their own mortality until they become grandparents, because their own first experiences of death was the passing of their own grandparents.
Original post by Ambitious1999
4 more famous people have died in just 48 hours adding to the massive amount of famous people to die in 2016.

George Michael
Liz Smith
Richard Adams
Carrie Fisher.

How is this happening? Yes death is natural but this is beyond statistical averages that a record number of famous people have died this year.

I can count at least 50 famous people from the top of my head who've died this year. Other years I'd have struggled to count 10 people!

Why is this happening? Its like there was some supernatural force that's taking our celebs away. :frown:

How many more will we loose in the last few days of 2016?

People like you are representative of everything that is wrong with the world. Roughly 150,000 people die each day and no one cares. A drug addict celebrity dies and the world stops revolving.

Its sad that they're dead but that's life son.
Reply 19

Except for the one who starred in the biggest film of last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending