The Student Room Group

Psychology at Durham or St Andrews?

Heya,
I've applied for psychology at Durham and St Andrews and can't decide which one to make my firm choice. Both have pros and cons but they seem really similar. Does anyone have some experience that would help me decide? How are the courses at both unis?
Thanks
Original post by Viola36
Heya,
I've applied for psychology at Durham and St Andrews and can't decide which one to make my firm choice. Both have pros and cons but they seem really similar. Does anyone have some experience that would help me decide? How are the courses at both unis?
Thanks

In terms of cities, they are both are quite small, but durham is also very well connected to newcastle (even with nightbuses on a weekend), so you have more options of things to do. Also, Durham has a collegiate system, which you may prefer (e.g. you have bars, parties, accommodation, sports clubs specific for each college), or not prefer over a more centralised uni. I THINK Durham is a cheaper place to live too...

For the courses, they both rank quite highly. I know St Andrews has alot of researchers in comparative (i.e. comparing human and non-human) cognitive psychology.
Reply 2
Original post by iammichealjackson
In terms of cities, they are both are quite small, but durham is also very well connected to newcastle (even with nightbuses on a weekend), so you have more options of things to do. Also, Durham has a collegiate system, which you may prefer (e.g. you have bars, parties, accommodation, sports clubs specific for each college), or not prefer over a more centralised uni. I THINK Durham is a cheaper place to live too...

For the courses, they both rank quite highly. I know St Andrews has alot of researchers in comparative (i.e. comparing human and non-human) cognitive psychology.

Thank you for your help!! That's what I love about Durham!! The collegiate system!! So I think I'm more drawn to Durham but then as I am an EU student I wouldn't have to pay the tuition in St Andrews which is a huge difference so I'm a bit lost. Simply my heart says choose Durham and my head says choose St Andrews :biggrin: And my parents are obviously for St Andrews because of the money. From what I've read I think that both courses would suit me well as I am interested in the cognitive and biological approach which is emphasised at both unis... I really don't know what to do!!
Original post by Viola36
Heya,
Thanks

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/compare?s=Psychology&i=1221&i=1332
Reply 4
How quickly do you get bored? St Andrews is TINY (4 main streets) so might not be the place for you if you like nightlife and city life etc. As previously mentioned Durham is very close to Newcastle. Also how much do you like traditions? St Andrews is verryyy old uni and has a lot of strange traditions (like oxbridge) which isn't everyones cup of tea.- look up Raisin Weekend for an example!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Viola36
Thank you for your help!! That's what I love about Durham!! The collegiate system!! So I think I'm more drawn to Durham but then as I am an EU student I wouldn't have to pay the tuition in St Andrews which is a huge difference so I'm a bit lost. Simply my heart says choose Durham and my head says choose St Andrews :biggrin: And my parents are obviously for St Andrews because of the money. From what I've read I think that both courses would suit me well as I am interested in the cognitive and biological approach which is emphasised at both unis... I really don't know what to do!!

I think the course content is really important as it is what you are going to be studying for 3/4 years. I would say applicant days are useful for deciding between universities but I can imagine that might be difficult seeing as you are not a home student. Did you apply to any other UK universities?

[EDIT:]
There may be useful information in this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2514214
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Viola36
as I am an EU student I wouldn't have to pay the tuition in St Andrews which is a huge difference

that should be it then. You would be actually bonkers to spend 27 grand to go to Durham over St Andrew's.
Reply 7
Original post by mdowling
How quickly do you get bored? St Andrews is TINY (4 main streets) so might not be the place for you if you like nightlife and city life etc. As previously mentioned Durham is very close to Newcastle. Also how much do you like traditions? St Andrews is verryyy old uni and has a lot of strange traditions (like oxbridge) which isn't everyones cup of tea.- look up Raisin Weekend for an example!

Well, I don't mind small places as long as there's happening something. I actually love the fact that St Andrews is so tiny that everything is in walking distance and it's such a cute city. I love old things and quirky traditions so from this point of view St Andrews is perfect but I feel like thanks to the collegiate system in Durham there's a better sense of community and more events that you can attend. Nightlife is not my priority as I'm not the kind of person who'd have to get drunk every night but I like going to clubs with friends so...
Raisin Weekend seems so cool :biggrin:
Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Shaaayxp
I think the course content is really important as it is what you are going to be studying for 3/4 years. I would say applicant days are useful for deciding between universities but I can imagine that might be difficult seeing as you are not a home student. Did you apply to any other UK universities?

That's true but as I said I like both of the course contents. I'm not really sure what I want to do after uni and what direction in psychology I want to take and from what I've seen st andrews is more has more neuroscience and durham has a really cognitive approach and I like both of these and don't know which I prefer...
Yeah, it's a bit more difficult but I might go I can decide :biggrin: Yeah I also applied to Glasgow, Royal Holloway and Exeter :smile:
Original post by Viola36
That's true but as I said I like both of the course contents. I'm not really sure what I want to do after uni and what direction in psychology I want to take and from what I've seen st andrews is more has more neuroscience and durham has a really cognitive approach and I like both of these and don't know which I prefer...
Yeah, it's a bit more difficult but I might go I can decide :biggrin: Yeah I also applied to Glasgow, Royal Holloway and Exeter :smile:

I also applied to Royal Holloway for psychology :tongue:

If you like the course content at both universities equally then you could also look at teaching styles (does one uni focus more on lectures than practical aspects and seminars- which would you prefer? ) research opportunities, what campus type and location sounds more appealing, societies available, accommodation (how affordable also how affordable are the towns/cities), year abroad/(free?) language learning/placement year opportunities. Make a list if all the things you could want from a university and see which university has more benifits. Pros and cons lists are also helpful. If your are going to applicant days then you could get a feel of the atmosphere/'vibes' you get from each uni. If not watch videos about the uni and psychology at the uni on their website and YouTube channel. You can also ask questions on the 'ask a current student' type threads:
Durham
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=458032&p=69009128&page=348#post69009128
St Andrews.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=153964&p=69185552&page=470#post69185552

Hope that was any help :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Shaaayxp
I also applied to Royal Holloway for psychology :tongue:

If you like the course content at both universities equally then you could also look at teaching styles (does one uni focus more on lectures than practical aspects and seminars- which would you prefer? ) research opportunities, what campus type and location sounds more appealing, societies available, accommodation (how affordable also how affordable are the towns/cities), year abroad/(free?) language learning/placement year opportunities. Make a list if all the things you could want from a university and see which university has more benifits. Pros and cons lists are also helpful. If your are going to applicant days then you could get a feel of the atmosphere/'vibes' you get from each uni. If not watch videos about the uni and psychology at the uni on their website and YouTube channel. You can also ask questions on the 'ask a current student' type threads:
Durham
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=458032&p=69009128&page=348#post69009128
St Andrews.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=153964&p=69185552&page=470#post69185552

Hope that was any help :biggrin:

Cool!! :biggrin: where else did you apply? I'm putting Royal Holloway as my safe choice :biggrin:
Thanks for your help!! I'll definitely do what you suggested :smile:
Original post by Viola36

Original post by cambio wechsel
that should be it then. You would be actually bonkers to spend 27 grand to go to Durham over St Andrew's.

I agree, the difference between the two unis is not that big really, i was just suggesting some reasons to slightly prefer one over the other. I'd pick free st andrews over 9K a year durham.

One thing to consider however is that the St Andrews course will be four years long, so even though you are not paying tuition fees, you still have to support yourself for an additional year, and you also have opportunity costs from a year of lost income that you would get at durham.
Original post by Viola36
Cool!! :biggrin: where else did you apply? I'm putting Royal Holloway as my safe choice :biggrin:
Thanks for your help!! I'll definitely do what you suggested :smile:

These were just some of the factors I am thinking about. I've also gotten offers from King's college, sussex and Goldsmiths. I am currently waiting for Bath to make a decision :smile:
Original post by Viola36
Well, I don't mind small places as long as there's happening something. I actually love the fact that St Andrews is so tiny that everything is in walking distance and it's such a cute city. I love old things and quirky traditions so from this point of view St Andrews is perfect but I feel like thanks to the collegiate system in Durham there's a better sense of community and more events that you can attend. Nightlife is not my priority as I'm not the kind of person who'd have to get drunk every night but I like going to clubs with friends so...
Raisin Weekend seems so cool :biggrin:
Thanks for your help :smile:

No problem:smile: we seem to like the same things about St Andrews! (Although I didn't end up applying) I agree that the collegiate system is a big plus point for Durham, I think it's such a cool thing to have- I like the academic family thing they have at St Andrews as well
Hey everyone I made a facebook page for St Andrews 2017 applicants because i couldn't find one myself - https://www.facebook.com/groups/314392885624420/ ! Hope you join and get to meet some other fabulous prospective students!

Quick Reply

Latest