The Student Room Group

Do you buy your books or do you use the library

Scroll to see replies

i rarely buy books, normally go to a library or um... find a pdf :smile:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Simple as what? I NEED TO KNOW.

lol I just mean it's simple because the library is long ting like use your card and give em back by a certain date, etc. 😶😬
For those buying second-hand books online, note that Amazon marketplace is not the only option, and often not the cheapest. Check out www.bookfinder.com - search for any book ever printed and it will find you the cheapest copy available online. It's fantastic. (I have absolutely no affiliation to this website!)
Both, buying books and reading them in the library on occasion. When I am trying to get cheap books, I am going to flea markets. My tip to everyone who is trying to get them to a bargain.
I buy books but have borrowed books from my local library a few times.

I prefer to buy second-hand books as they can be cheap and they need some love as well. :smile: In my first year of college, the college library held a charity book sale. Paperbacks were 10p and hardbacks were 20p!! I bought 5 paperbacks and 1 hardback, all for less than £1!! The books are in good condition. In my second year of college, the library's charity book sale prices increased but were still very reasonable. Some books were 50p, some were 20p and book collections had individual prices (a new book trilogy pre-owned but still in its plastic wrap sold for about £4). I bought 10-15 books over the two-day charity book sale, all for less than £9!!

My most recently bought books are brand new. A Famous Five book collection (reliving childhood memories!), a book about Muhammad Ali and his life, and a few Penguin Little Black Classics are among the new books. The Penguin Little Black Classics are from Foyles and have reasonable prices.

The problem that I have is that I've bought many books and I've hardly read many of them. The Rio Paralympics were taking place until recently so I was more interested in that. The book I'm currently reading is Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. One of the Penguin books I bought from Foyles is Socrates' Defence by Plato. That'll be interesting as one of my A-Levels was Religious Studies.
Reply 25
Library, but will buy audiobooks, or find a cheap physical copy if I really loved the book.
I always use the library.
Library
Would love to buy books and have my own personal library though
I like borrowing books from my school library at least I know it's limited to kids germs and they're often practically new :lol:

But public libaries is a no..

Once I leave college, I'll probably buy books if I want to read anything.
see if you can get them second hand either at charity shops or on ebay.
best to buy the books you really like/need first.
I tend to go to the library first and read lots of books then if i really like one of them i buy them off of ebay.
I check if the library has it first. If it's a book I really love or really want them I'll buy it. I'm also in the extremely lucky position to have Waterstones gift cards so I love using those!!
Original post by lavidastudent
I check if the library has it first. If it's a book I really love or really want them I'll buy it. I'm also in the extremely lucky position to have Waterstones gift cards so I love using those!!

Do it in a similar way: go to the library now and then to get to know interesting books, reading there and if I like them, I will buy those books to fill my collection at home up.
I ususally buy books.
Original post by Emma:-)
I ususally buy books.

What does 'usually' means to you? one book a week? if that is true, I like your relationship to books which seem to be passionate.
Reply 34
Library, e-library or just googling
Original post by Kallisto
What does 'usually' means to you? one book a week? if that is true, I like your relationship to books which seem to be passionate.

I just buy one as and when i see one i like/want.
I use Fatbrain quite a lot. My university does the Big Deal. Every full time student gets an amount to spend on the John Smith website. I'm second year Criminology. We got £365 this year so bought most of my stuff right off. Charity shops are good and Google Scholar. X
Original post by Emma:-)
I just buy one as and when i see one i like/want.

If so, I usually buy books then. Sometimes I trade a book for another one.
Reply 38
Do you buy university books or the library has enough of them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending