The Student Room Group

Mechanics

Hi,
I am going to be resitting edexcel M1 in June; so have begun looking over the spec, however I am struggling a little bit; in terms of remembering the rules/ equations so if anyone would post all the required M1 rules it would be greatly appreciated.
thank you in advance,
Todd
Original post by toad456
Hi,
I am going to be resitting edexcel M1 in June; so have begun looking over the spec, however I am struggling a little bit; in terms of remembering the rules/ equations so if anyone would post all the required M1 rules it would be greatly appreciated.
thank you in advance,
Todd

I don't have any exhaustive list - and I don't think there really is one. I would just encourage you to do lots of questions and take it topic by topic! Rather than trying to memorise a list, try to actually go through the content and I'm sure you'll realise that most of it is pretty much the same thing, with different forms of algebra.

I think @tiny hobbit will have better advice on this one than me!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by kingaaran
I don't have any exhaustive list - and I don't think there really is one. I would just encourage you to do lots of questions and take it topic by topic! Rather than trying to memorise a list, try to actually go through the content and I'm sure you'll realise that most of it is pretty much the same thing, with different forms of algebra.

I think @tiny hobbit will have better advice on this one than me!

I literally want the suvat equations and momentum equations along with the principals of vectors theyt were in my textbook but the teachers didnt give me one back at the start of the year.
Original post by toad456
I literally want the suvat equations and momentum equations along with the principals of vectors theyt were in my textbook but the teachers didnt give me one back at the start of the year.

The SUVAT equations are:

v=u+at v=u+at

v2=u2+2as v^2=u^2+2as

s=t(u+v)2 s= \frac{t(u+v)}{2}

s=ut+12at2 s=ut+ \frac{1}{2} at^2

where u u is the initial velocity of a particle, v v is the final velocity of a particle, s s is the particle's displacement, a a is the particle's acceleration and t t is the time taken for (whatever is being considered).

Momentum = mass x velocity
Impulse = change in momentum = final momentum - initial momentum

A vector is a quantity with both direction and magnitude.
Magnitude of a vector ai+bj = a2+b2 \sqrt{a^2+b^2}

All the SUVAT equations can be written in vector form.

Moment = force x distance
Principle of moments says that for a body to be in equilibrium the total moment acting on the body about any point should be 0 (or equivalently, the sum of the anticlockwise moments should be equal to the sum of the clockwise moments).

Newton's second law, force = (change in momentum)/time = mass x acceleration (try prove this!).

I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but hopefully this helps in some way. Someone else should be able to add this to or know of a better list than I can produce right now
Reply 4
Original post by kingaaran
The SUVAT equations are:

v=u+at v=u+at

v2=u2+2as v^2=u^2+2as

s=t(u+v)2 s= \frac{t(u+v)}{2}

s=ut+12at2 s=ut+ \frac{1}{2} at^2

where u u is the initial velocity of a particle, v v is the final velocity of a particle, s s is the particle's displacement, a a is the particle's acceleration and t t is the time taken for (whatever is being considered).

Momentum = mass x velocity
Impulse = change in momentum = final momentum - initial momentum

A vector is a quantity with both direction and magnitude.
Magnitude of a vector ai+bj = a2+b2 \sqrt{a^2+b^2}

All the SUVAT equations can be written in vector form.

Moment = force x distance
Principle of moments says that for a body to be in equilibrium the total moment acting on the body about any point should be 0 (or equivalently, the sum of the anticlockwise moments should be equal to the sum of the clockwise moments).

Newton's second law, force = (change in momentum)/time = mass x acceleration (try prove this!).

I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but hopefully this helps in some way. Someone else should be able to add this to or know of a better list than I can produce right now

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest