The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices... Stuck!

So I'm in Yr 11 right now, and will have to pick my A-Level options in a matter of months, but I am really stuck.
In my GCSE Mocks, I got 8 A* and 3 A's, so that doesn't narrow down the subjects I'm good or bad at.
I don't know what I want to do at university - I just want it to lead to a well paid job and I DEFINITELY don't want to go into a science-maths field such as medicine or accountancy.
My strength is definitely English, and I'm very good at all the subjects I do. (I hate Maths, however). I'm considering Economics, but what is it about and where can it take me??

Subjects I study at GCSE (and mock grades)

Maths (8)
English Lit and Lang (8)
TRIPLE SCIENCE: Bio (A*), Chem (A*), Physics (A)
German (A) *definitely will NOT take*
Resistant Materials (A* - A)
History (A*)
Geography (A*)
Business Studies (A*)

I only know that I will take English Lit, that's it! Which subjects would best suit me, and where can they take me?
Help would be greatly appreciated x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whoisme
So I'm in Yr 11 right now, and will have to pick my A-Level options in a matter of months, but I am really stuck.
In my GCSE Mocks, I got 8 A* and 3 A's, so that doesn't narrow down the subjects I'm good or bad at.
I don't know what I want to do at university - I just want it to lead to a well paid job and I DEFINITELY don't want to go into a science-maths field such as medicine or accountancy.
My strength is definitely English, and I'm very good at all the subjects I do. (I hate Maths, however). I'm considering Economics, but what is it about and where can it take me??

Maths (8)
English Lit and Lang (8)
History (A*)
Geography (A*)
Business Studies (A*)

I only know that I will take English Lit, that's it! Which subjects would best suit me, and where can they take me?

You could do economics and history. History is good if you enjoy it, and are good at English as well
English Lit opens many doors and also pairs well with Histody. Two very good facilitating subjects I would honestly recommend. I love them. Don't do maths if you don't enjoy it, there's really no point and you seem to be leaning towards humanities anyway. I would definitely consider economics and if you want to take a fourth, philosophy, politics or geography would be good options.
Original post by rosie.mn
English Lit opens many doors and also pairs well with Histody. Two very good facilitating subjects I would honestly recommend. I love them. Don't do maths if you don't enjoy it, there's really no point and you seem to be leaning towards humanities anyway. I would definitely consider economics and if you want to take a fourth, philosophy, politics or geography would be good options.

My school requires us to take four... They don't offer philosophy, unfortunately, but politics would be a good one. My problem is, where can these take me further?
Original post by whoisme
My school requires us to take four... They don't offer philosophy, unfortunately, but politics would be a good one. My problem is, where can these take me further?

I would say politics is a very good choice. It's still AS too so you could always drop it. Gosh, those subjects open so many doors. PPE, HSPS, Politics, International Relations, English, History. All valid degrees. You could work in government, civil service, journalism, teaching, EU, UN, any international body. There's so many options.
Original post by whoisme

Subjects like English could lead to a Law degree?
Depends what you wish to do post-sixth form/college. I mean if you prefer English then subjects such as law and history display that you have great written communication, have a good knowledge and understanding of the world around you and many other skills that can link to English Lit. If you wish to go to university then it should not matter too much so long as you have the grades, some subjects just compliment one another well. I don't know an awful lot about economics admittedly but it has some maths thus showing a little bit more of a range in your skills.
Think about careers you may wish to take up after Uni. University is for three or four years but a job is for life, or at least much longer. If you love English definitely do it, but think carefully about the others. Some university courses do require a sound base in certain subjects. If you want to be an economist you need maths, but an economics A level is pretty well respected for a whole range of other degree courses
Bear in mind that for many economics courses at unis you will need a maths A level. And English degrees (and humanities generally) are less employable than others subjects.

Maybe English, Biology and Chemistry? You're obviously good at maths so I would do that too.
Reply 9
More importantly you should think about what you want to do after A levels/ university then see what qualifications you need to get there. That way you're leaving more doors open for you.

You could look into studying PPE/Politics/History and Economics, and then go into management consultancy if you want to be very well paid. Otherwise you can go into Law, Civil Service etc.
I would say politics is a very good choice. It's still AS too so you could always drop it. Gosh, those subjects open so many doors. PPE, HSPS, Politics, International Relations, English, History. All valid degrees. You could work in government, civil service, journalism, teaching, EU, UN, any international body. There's so many options.

I never thought about International Relations, but it sounds interesting. Thanks for your responses, it's been really helpful! x

Thanks for your responses, they've been really helpful x
Original post by Tiger Rag
Subjects like English could lead to a Law degree?

Isn't Law very hard to get a job in once you've finished studying?
Reply 13
Original post by whoisme

Maths (8)
English Lit and Lang (8)
History (A*)
Geography (A*)
Business Studies (A*)

Pick what your interested in.
I think you're a bit conflicted; you want a well paid job but not maths or science?
The reason why people that study fashion or art or English earn less is because they're less useful to society and are easily replaceable due to no solid skill set. Take photography, I can point a camera and press a button just as well as any photography graduate! I could also write an essay better than most English Lit students. But try getting an Eng Lit student to sit my Maths exam. Not happening.
You don't hate Maths, you think you hate Maths. It is the fabric of time and space, the foundation of our very being and a key to lands uncharted, to places we must reach. There's nothing boring or hard about it, it is beautifully systematic. Trust me!
In short, I would recommend a reconsideration of the amazing topics of maths an science, but hey! Its your choice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chichaldo
Depends what you wish to do post-sixth form/college. I mean if you prefer English then subjects such as law and history display that you have great written communication, have a good knowledge and understanding of the world around you and many other skills that can link to English Lit. If you wish to go to university then it should not matter too much so long as you have the grades, some subjects just compliment one another well. I don't know an awful lot about economics admittedly but it has some maths thus showing a little bit more of a range in your skills.

That's the problem, I don't know what I want to do at uni. These subjects are what I would do if I didn't have a degree focus. I'm trying to find good degree options that suit me. It's a lot harder when you don't want to do Maths or Science.
Original post by Mair18919
Think about careers you may wish to take up after Uni. University is for three or four years but a job is for life, or at least much longer. If you love English definitely do it, but think carefully about the others. Some university courses do require a sound base in certain subjects. If you want to be an economist you need maths, but an economics A level is pretty well respected for a whole range of other degree courses

The problem is I have no idea what career to go into. I want something well paid, but all I'm hearing from people is that I can't get a well paid job outside of STEM (except Law, which is hard to get a job in where I live)
Original post by chazwomaq
Bear in mind that for many economics courses at unis you will need a maths A level. And English degrees (and humanities generally) are less employable than others subjects.

Maybe English, Biology and Chemistry? You're obviously good at maths so I would do that too.

I hate Maths with a passion - I might be good but it's really not an option due to my labsolute loathing for the subject.
I suppose I could do Chem, but I don't particularly enjoy it and doing Bio + Chem would just lead to more BioChem based studying at higher level.
Original post by AAls
More importantly you should think about what you want to do after A levels/ university then see what qualifications you need to get there. That way you're leaving more doors open for you.

You could look into studying PPE/Politics/History and Economics, and then go into management consultancy if you want to be very well paid. Otherwise you can go into Law, Civil Service etc.

The problem is, I don't know what to do after.
At the risk of sounding incredibly dumb - what is PPE?
Original post by ChrisD0
I think you're a bit conflicted; you want a well paid job but not maths or science?
The reason why people that study fashion or art or English earn less is because they're less useful to society and are easily replaceable due to no solid skill set. Take photography, I can point a camera and press a button just as well as any photography graduate! I could also write an essay better than most English Lit students. But try getting an Eng Lit student to sit my Maths exam. Not happening.
You don't hate Maths, you think you hate Maths. It is the fabric of time and space, the foundation of our very being and a key to lands uncharted, to places we must reach. There's nothing boring or hard about it, it is beautifully systematic. Trust me!
In short, I would recommend a reconsideration of the amazing topics of maths an science, but hey! Its your choice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I appreciate your opinion, and I don't find Maths hard, but unfortunately I really have hated it since primary school, simply because it's not where my interests lie. I honestly think I will find myself extremely stressed and depressed if I continue with Maths :frown: I am reconsidering science, though..

Quick Reply

Latest