The Student Room Group

No friends

Hi everyone, I seem to have no friends. I'm single, always have been and 18. Currently I'm on my gap year so not at uni and I just feel really lonely and upset that I have no one to talk to. Is this normal? When I go out on trains or public places and see friends going out and having a good time it just makes me upset that I don't have that experience. Anyone got any suggestions please
It's normal to feel that way. I'm 19 and anti social most days. I have people in my life who are very sociable but I just find it tasking until I'm out and I see other people laughing together, having fun together, a couple making out etc. I can't really say how to get over it but I can say it's normal :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, I seem to have no friends. I'm single, always have been and 18. Currently I'm on my gap year so not at uni and I just feel really lonely and upset that I have no one to talk to. Is this normal? When I go out on trains or public places and see friends going out and having a good time it just makes me upset that I don't have that experience. Anyone got any suggestions please

I am alone over Christmas and lonely too. So if you want someone to chat with you can PM me. :smile:
Hi I'm in the same boat on a gap year too and it's slowly eating me up as I do see myself as someone who wants to go clubbing and things like that, but I'm not sure who to ask or if they want to or if I bore them... As its the xmas break I'm hoping that I can go out for NYE with some of my sixth form friends who are home- we'll see. I know exactly how you feel but don't let it ruin your gap year. If you want to go to see a film do it. I'm hoping that a fate thing will happen and I'll meet a new friend, who knows. On my gap year I have been on a few youth volunteering and training workshops linked to my subject area, which could help you to be around people your age and hang out. Wisjing you well xx
Reply 4
I've been living in town for 5.5 years and don't know anyone around.
Just be yourself. Be confident and approach the right people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Dhanny
Just be yourself. Be confident and approach the right people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where do I find people??
Reply 7
Original post by Surreptitiously
Hi I'm in the same boat on a gap year too and it's slowly eating me up as I do see myself as someone who wants to go clubbing and things like that, but I'm not sure who to ask or if they want to or if I bore them... As its the xmas break I'm hoping that I can go out for NYE with some of my sixth form friends who are home- we'll see. I know exactly how you feel but don't let it ruin your gap year. If you want to go to see a film do it. I'm hoping that a fate thing will happen and I'll meet a new friend, who knows. On my gap year I have been on a few youth volunteering and training workshops linked to my subject area, which could help you to be around people your age and hang out. Wisjing you well xx

Where abouts do you live? Where do you find these volunteering activities and workshops too! Thanks for the reassurance! x

BUMP
Where abouts do you live? Where do you find these volunteering activities and workshops too! Thanks for the reassurance! x

I like theatre and want to be an actor so I didn't realise that many theatres offered youth workshops and opportunities for people under twenty five. This works for me as I get newsletters about what is on and have been to big theatres, where I feel at home. Sometimes loneliness affects my self doubt and I worry that if I am not around peopke I will feel worse, so even if I don't want to talk to people at a workshop (I'm not rude but sometimes I just don't want to) being in that environment I love brings me joy. So I think that you should have a look at volunteering or youth related things in your industry. If that is theatre have a look at the Almeida, National Youth Theatre and the Young Vic. I know museums are good for youth things too like Geffrye. On the other hand, do you have a job around young people? I work in fast food in a college town so I luckily work with young people at the weekend and do my acting classes in the week, so I don't feel out of place working with older people. I know college kids who work in a few bars in town, again around young people, so maybe that could be worth checking out. Remember to always do the option that scares you the most, as that's the only way that you will grow xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending