The Student Room Group

London Academy of Excellence or Brampton Manor Sixth Form 2016

This poll is closed

Which sixth-form would you choose?

London Academy of Excellence 43%
Brampton Manor Academy57%
Total votes: 7
I have applied to both of these sixth-forms and have already been accepted by LAE but I am still not sure on which one is better.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I currently go to LAE (Year 12). If you have any particular questions about it you can ask me. What subjects are you hoping to study?
I currently go to Brampton (year 12), if you have any question, you can ask me.
I want to study Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics.
How are the class sizes? How many people are in each class?
When does the school day start and end?
Is there a study room? And what is in there? I didn't get to see on the open day.
Original post by dragonblazer11
I currently go to Brampton (year 12), if you have any question, you can ask me.

I heard that everyone that goes to the secondary school is automatically accepted into the sixth form. Is that true? How many spaces would there be for external students?
Are the classes in sixth form mixed ability or are there sets?
The person that gave me a tour said that he is learning guitar, what other instruments do they teach in Brampton?
What do you learn in Mandarin club? Is it useful or just for fun
Original post by Cassandra2816
I heard that everyone that goes to the secondary school is automatically accepted into the sixth form. Is that true? How many spaces would there be for external students?
Are the classes in sixth form mixed ability or are there sets?
The person that gave me a tour said that he is learning guitar, what other instruments do they teach in Brampton?
What do you learn in Mandarin club? Is it useful or just for fun

Everyone who goes to Brampton are not automatically, they're only accepted if they have the grades but they definitely do get more preference. There are quiet a lot of spaces for external students and so If you get the grades, you will definitely get in. In order to get in to Brampton, you need really high grades, so everyone in Brampton sixth form are actually really clever, so there's no sets. You can learn almost any instrument you want, you just have to ask a music teacher, they will help you. And in Mandarin lessons, someone comes from outside the school and teaches mandarin, for me personally I do find it useful. /
I am predicted 6As do u think I will be able to get the conditional offer for lae its my main preference
Original post by M0H4MM4D
I currently go to LAE (Year 12). If you have any particular questions about it you can ask me. What subjects are you hoping to study?
You should try to get higher predictions from your teachers but getting the offer doesn't really matter. If you meet the entry requirements then you can still enrol at LAE. In the acceptance email they sent me, they said that I could bring a friend along if they met the requirements. I told one of my friends from NCS to go and now he goes to LAE. I didn't even have to go with him, I enrolled at Brampton. So don't worry, even if you don't get the conditional offer you can still go to the school you want.
You should try to get higher predictions from your teachers but getting the offer doesn't really matter. If you meet the entry requirements then you can still enrol at LAE. In the acceptance email they sent me, they said that I could bring a friend along if they met the requirements. I told one of my friends from NCS to go and now he goes to LAE. I didn't even have to go with him, I enrolled at Brampton. So don't worry, even if you don't get the conditional offer you can still go to the school you want.

Really? Wow that's excellent. Did your friend previously apply for LAE? And what were his grades that he got accepted?
Also since my predicted grades fulfil the bare entry requirements does it mean that I will be able to get the conditional offer from lae?
One last question is do you think with these grades, they will give me a conditional offer from brampton manor?
Original post by Casi123
I have applied to both of these sixth-forms and have already been accepted by LAE but I am still not sure on which one is better.

What were your predicted grades? It is really important for me to get to London academy of excellence? Please can you tell me what your predicted grades were? And did you enrol at LAE? 😊
Original post by positivee
Really? Wow that's excellent. Did your friend previously apply for LAE? And what were his grades that he got accepted?
Also since my predicted grades fulfil the bare entry requirements does it mean that I will be able to get the conditional offer from lae?
One last question is do you think with these grades, they will give me a conditional offer from brampton manor?

He did apply for LAE but they didn't give him a conditional offer. He got 2A* and 4As on results day so they still accepted him on the day. I hope you do get a conditional offer but we can never be certain since there is a lot of competition. I remember applying with three other people in my old school, they all met the requirements but didn't get a conditional offer from LAE. Brampton requirements are the same or slightly higher than LAE, depending on how many GCSEs you do, and all the 3 friends got a conditional offer from Brampton. You can never really know. Just apply to both.

All that matters is that you work hard to achieve your predicted grades. On the day, you decide which school you want to go to and if you meet the requirements, I'm sure you will be accepted in. Just know that if you want to go to Brampton, please go early to enrolment. I arrived around 11:30, the line was so long that I got to the front at around 1:40ish.
He did apply for LAE but they didn't give him a conditional offer. He got 2A* and 4As on results day so they still accepted him on the day. I hope you do get a conditional offer but we can never be certain since there is a lot of competition. I remember applying with three other people in my old school, they all met the requirements but didn't get a conditional offer from LAE. Brampton requirements are the same or slightly higher than LAE, depending on how many GCSEs you do, and all the 3 friends got a conditional offer from Brampton. You can never really know. Just apply to both.

All that matters is that you work hard to achieve your predicted grades. On the day, you decide which school you want to go to and if you meet the requirements, I'm sure you will be accepted in. Just know that if you want to go to Brampton, please go early to enrolment. I arrived around 11:30, the line was so long that I got to the front at around 1:40ish.

Thanks a lot. My 1st choice is LAE 2nd is Brampton simply because I feel like it is easier to settle down in lae you know in brampton there will be both internal and #
external students. But since my predicted grades are average I am really nervous.
What were your predicted grades? It is really important for me to get to London academy of excellence? Please can you tell me what your predicted grades were? And did you enrol at LAE? 😊

I applied for LAE quite early so my predicted grades were around 2A*s and 3 or 4 As, I can't really remember. Then my predictions changed after mocks to 3 or 4A*s, 5A, 1B and 1C. I dropped the subject that I got a C in because my teacher wasn't good at all (Computer science).... okay this is getting a bit complicated. I'll just say that my predicted grades were 3A* 6A 1B. But on results day I got 3A* 5A 2B.

Everything can change in the exams. I was predicted A*s for R.E Sociology and Business studies. But I got the A*s in Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

LAE is a very good school and so is Brampton. I go to Brampton so my opinion would be biased. Just apply for both and decide later on. This year LAE had two days of enrolment, but still go early. Brampton filled up their spaces around 2pm on enrolment day, so be fast. :goodluck:

In the end I didn't enroll at LAE. I decided against it, the day before enrolment and arranged to go to Brampton with my friends the next day. On the day I was still a bit hesitant but after the 2-hour wait to enroll at Brampton, I was too tired to hop on a 241 to Stratford. :giggle:
I applied for LAE quite early so my predicted grades were around 2A*s and 3 or 4 As, I can't really remember. Then my predictions changed after mocks to 3 or 4A*s, 5A, 1B and 1C. I dropped the subject that I got a C in because my teacher wasn't good at all (Computer science).... okay this is getting a bit complicated. I'll just say that my predicted grades were 3A* 6A 1B. But on results day I got 3A* 5A 2B.

Everything can change in the exams. I was predicted A*s for R.E Sociology and Business studies. But I got the A*s in Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

LAE is a very good school and so is Brampton. I go to Brampton so my opinion would be biased. Just apply for both and decide later on. This year LAE had two days of enrolment, but still go early. Brampton filled up their spaces around 2pm on enrolment day, so be fast. :goodluck:

In the end I didn't enroll at LAE. I decided against it, the day before enrolment and arranged to go to Brampton with my friends the next day. On the day I was still a bit hesitant but after the 2-hour wait to enroll at Brampton, I was too tired to hop on a 241 to Stratford. :giggle:

Thanks a lot xx.
Do you know the deadline for brampton manor because in their wbeiste it only shows that the form will be availble on january,2017 but says nothing about the application deadline.
Thanks a lot. My 1st choice is LAE 2nd is Brampton simply because I feel like it is easier to settle down in lae you know in brampton there will be both internal and #
external students. But since my predicted grades are average I am really nervous.

Most of my year group is external. There aren't many internals in Brampton. To give you a picture of the amount: I think in my form class, there are about 5 internal students, the rest are external.

Don't worry. Just study a lot and you should be fine. Don't be like me, and only just step into the library 3 weeks before the exams. Plan to study 3 months before the exams.

For the sciences, I suggest writing out summary sheets for each one (if your knowledge of the subject is very bad like me and Biology). Use the CPG revision guide and just cut it down onto paper. Then just memorise everything you wrote down :biggrin:. I was on a C for Biology 3 weeks before the exam so I went to the library and did that. I got an A* in the end even though I was hoping to pass the day before results day.

And when they post the grade boundaries the day before don't stress out too much. The increased the grade boundaries for Biology and I thought that it was the end but if the grade boundaries increased that means that people performed well in the test.
Most of my year group is external. There aren't many internals in Brampton. To give you a picture of the amount: I think in my form class, there are about 5 internal students, the rest are external.

Don't worry. Just study a lot and you should be fine. Don't be like me, and only just step into the library 3 weeks before the exams. Plan to study 3 months before the exams.

For the sciences, I suggest writing out summary sheets for each one (if your knowledge of the subject is very bad like me and Biology). Use the CPG revision guide and just cut it down onto paper. Then just memorise everything you wrote down :biggrin:. I was on a C for Biology 3 weeks before the exam so I went to the library and did that. I got an A* in the end even though I was hoping to pass the day before results day.

And when they post the grade boundaries the day before don't stress out too much. The increased the grade boundaries for Biology and I thought that it was the end but if the grade boundaries increased that means that people performed well in the test.

Your advice has been really helpful honestly thank u so much
My greatest aim is now to get to LAE for which I really need to do well in my gcses.
My teachers are just not predicting A*s being too strict but yeah I will defintiely start revising.
Honestly Brampton Manor is as good so I wouldnt mind going there infact, that was my main preference in year 9.
Thanks a lot xx.
Do you know the deadline for brampton manor because in their wbeiste it only shows that the form will be availble on january,2017 but says nothing about the application deadline.

The deadline should be around the end of February. Once it is available, apply then because you don't know how long your teacher reference will take.

And also, if you apply early to Brampton early then you get to do the interview earlier to get it out of the way. I applied to Brampton early and did the interview before the deadline for the applications.
The deadline should be around the end of February. Once it is available, apply then because you don't know how long your teacher reference will take.

And also, if you apply early to Brampton early then you get to do the interview earlier to get it out of the way. I applied to Brampton early and did the interview before the deadline for the applications.

Its because my teachers said they will change my grades after february half term so if my predicted grades change, then it will be great so i will have a higher chance to get a conditional offer from there.
Its because my teachers said they will change my grades after february half term so if my predicted grades change, then it will be great so i will have a higher chance to get a conditional offer from there.

If they don't post their deadline once the applications are available then contact them with your reasoning. They should reply.
If they don't post their deadline once the applications are available then contact them with your reasoning. They should reply.

Alright thank you.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest