Organic chemistry

Attachment not found
Can anyone help me out with these questions
(edited 7 years ago)
Q2 I got:
a) 2-methylpropan-2-ol
b) 2,4-diethylpentane
c) 3,4-dimethylhexane
Remember to count the longest c chain and number an additional groups. This should help with naming groups.
As for Q3, start with with main chain. For example, for a) 1-chlorobutan-1-ol, your main chain is butane which is 4 carbons. Draw your 4 carbons then put the additional groups. You have a chlorine and an alcohol group (OH) both on the first carbon.Then just fill in the Hs.
Reply 4
Original post by wannabe_lawyer
Remember to count the longest c chain and number an additional groups. This should help with naming groups.

Thanks for that could you help me out with the displayed formulas
1chlropenta1ol.pngshould look something like this
Original post by Lucky10
Thanks for that could you help me out with the displayed formulas

no problem, I remember when I really struggled with organic last year but it gets better with practice. Lemme know if you need any help, I'm lurking around TSR rn :smile:
Reply 7
no problem, I remember when I really struggled with organic last year but it gets better with practice. Lemme know if you need any help, I'm lurking around TSR rn :smile:

Thank you!! How about 4A and b?
For 4a, the longest chain is 7 (as you've highlighted) and there's 3 additional groups. So your main chain is heptane and regardless of where you start numbering on this one, you have 3,5-dimethyl and 4-propyl (C3H7 on the 4th carbon). Now you just put everything together. You write the name in alphabetical order so dimethyl goes first so the name is: 3,5-dimethyl-4-propylheptane.
Reply 9
For 4a, the longest chain is 7 (as you've highlighted) and there's 3 additional groups. So your main chain is heptane and regardless of where you start numbering on this one, you have 3,5-dimethyl and 4-propyl (C3H7 on the 4th carbon). Now you just put everything together. You write the name in alphabetical order so dimethyl goes first so the name is: 3,5-dimethyl-4-propylheptane.

oh right i see thank you
Original post by Lucky10
Thank you!! How about 4A and b?

2chlorohexen-4-ol.png
For b), this is known as the skeletal formula. The best thing to do here is to redraw it as a displayed formula. For every 'corner/dip' that is a carbon atom (as I drew in green). Naming this is a bit tricky since it is both an alkene and an alcohol. Firstly always find the longest carbon chain, here it's 6 so it's hexENE (or hex-1-ene since the double bond is on the first carbon however it makes it simpler if we just leave it as hexene). Now no. the functional groups, you have a cl on the 2nd carbon (2-chloro) and an OH on the 4th carbon (-4-ol). Putting it all together, you have 2-chloro-hexen-4-ol.
Reply 11
2chlorohexen-4-ol.png
For b), this is known as the skeletal formula. The best thing to do here is to redraw it as a displayed formula. For every 'corner/dip' that is a carbon atom (as I drew in green). Naming this is a bit tricky since it is both an alkene and an alcohol. Firstly always find the longest carbon chain, here it's 6 so it's hexENE (or hex-1-ene since the double bond is on the first carbon however it makes it simpler if we just leave it as hexene). Now no. the functional groups, you have a cl on the 2nd carbon (2-chloro) and an OH on the 4th carbon (-4-ol). Putting it all together, you have 2-chloro-hexen-4-ol.

Thank you so much its helped alot
Original post by Lucky10
Thank you so much its helped alot

no problem :smile:

Quick Reply