The Student Room Group

A/A* students in Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English

Hiya,
I'm just wondering how the students that are predicted or have achieved A and A*s revise in and out of school, specifically for the subjects mentioned.

I am doing Biology, Chemistry in OCR and Psychology and English Combined in AQA. However I am thinking of dropping English, since i feel as though it doesn't really 'match' the rest of my a levels. What are your opinions of this choice? Is it a wise one?

Thank you for your help and time :smile:
Is chemistry hard ?
Reply 2
Original post by X_Hope_X
Is chemistry hard ?

I personally don't think Chemistry is hard, however I find Biology and Chemistry equally as good. :smile:
Original post by mariah1242
I personally don't think Chemistry is hard, however I find Biology and Chemistry equally as good. :smile:

Ah okay, What Exam are you doing for chemistry ? I'm sorry I'm not help to you but i was thinking about taking chemistry now. But I'm scared It'll be too late in the course to join in. i was considering to take it at the start as 4 A levels, but i thought it would be a lot of pressure on me. As people and friends have mentioned. so i didn't take it, so now i kinda regret it as, the subjects I'm taking anyway are soft subjects and most universities don't prefer them :frown:
Reply 4
Ah okay, What Exam are you doing for chemistry ? I'm sorry I'm not help to you but i was thinking about taking chemistry now. But I'm scared It'll be too late in the course to join in. i was considering to take it at the start as 4 A levels, but i thought it would be a lot of pressure on me. As people and friends have mentioned. so i didn't take it, so now i kinda regret it as, the subjects I'm taking anyway are soft subjects and most universities don't prefer them :frown:

It's okay, it's always good to help someone especially deciding A-Level choices. I know most people said to me was a Chemistry was a tough choice especially since I didn't enjoy Maths and I'd say a good 60% of the course is maths based. I got a B in Maths GCSE and I don't find the Maths in chemistry that challenging, there's a lot or rearranging of formulaes but that's about it. To take on Chemistry I'd say if it will help you in your future career prospects then go for it, since I am aiming to be a pharamcist then Chemistry is a must for me. :smile: If you have any more questions don't hesitate to message me. x Oh and I'm doing OCR A in chemistry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hiya,
I'm just wondering how the students that are predicted or have achieved A and A*s revise in and out of school, specifically for the subjects mentioned.

I am doing Biology, Chemistry in OCR and Psychology and English Combined in AQA. However I am thinking of dropping English, since i feel as though it doesn't really 'match' the rest of my a levels. What are your opinions of this choice? Is it a wise one?

Thank you for your help and time :smile:

I got As in English Labguage and Psychology. For those I wrote colour coded notes and, posters, and cue cards, as well as part papers. This is generally a lot more effective than just reading and/or highlighting text. How do you revise usually?

I wouldn't drop English now if you are in AS level, as you might drop it and find another subject is too difficult and then you have to carry them all into A2. If you're in A2 then go for it. When you say it doesn't match them, this isn't a bad thing, it's good to show a variety of skills, especially for applying to University, depending on the course.
Reply 6
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I got As in English Labguage and Psychology. For those I wrote colour coded notes and, posters, and cue cards, as well as part papers. This is generally a lot more effective than just reading and/or highlighting text. How do you revise usually?

I wouldn't drop English now if you are in AS level, as you might drop it and find another subject is too difficult and then you have to carry them all into A2. If you're in A2 then go for it. When you say it doesn't match them, this isn't a bad thing, it's good to show a variety of skills, especially for applying to University, depending on the course.

thank you for your tip! yes i see what you mean, its just that i need to drop a subject and that's the only one that i don't enjoy as much.
It's okay, it's always good to help someone especially deciding A-Level choices. I know most people said to me was a Chemistry was a tough choice especially since I didn't enjoy Maths and I'd say a good 60% of the course is maths based. I got a B in Maths GCSE and I don't find the Maths in chemistry that challenging, there's a lot or rearranging of formulaes but that's about it. To take on Chemistry I'd say if it will help you in your future career prospects then go for it, since I am aiming to be a pharamcist then Chemistry is a must for me. :smile: If you have any more questions don't hesitate to message me. x Oh and I'm doing OCR A in chemistry.

Thank you so much with the advice. my A level choices are sociology, business and psychology and so they are restricting career options to quote a large extent so chemistry may be a good option. I talked about this to my mum and she thought it wasn't a good idea but we might talk to thhw .
head of sixth form I go to. Oh my school I heard also does OCR A chemistry
Do you know if the exam for chem is taken at the end of year 13 or is there an exam in year 12 And the rest in year 13?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Thank you so much with the advice. my A level choices are sociology, business and psychology and so they are restricting career options to quote a large extent so chemistry may be a good option. I talked about this to my mum and she thought it wasn't a good idea but we might talk to thhw .
head of sixth form I go to. Oh my school I heard also does OCR A chemistry
Do you know if the exam for chem is taken at the end of year 13 or is there an exam in year 12 And the rest in year 13?

I think becaue of the new linear exams they're all taken at the end of year 13, however we have done a Mock which I'll be getting my results for when we go back, fingers crossed I get a good grade. Yes, I see what you mean about your subject choices, Chemistry does require loads of revision so if you don't really 'need' it I wouldn't personally take it. But it's compketely up to you. However i think you can get and AS in chemistry as it is on of the later ones that hasn't completely changed.
Hope that has helped :smile:
I think becaue of the new linear exams they're all taken at the end of year 13, however we have done a Mock which I'll be getting my results for when we go back, fingers crossed I get a good grade. Yes, I see what you mean about your subject choices, Chemistry does require loads of revision so if you don't really 'need' it I wouldn't personally take it. But it's compketely up to you. However i think you can get and AS in chemistry as it is on of the later ones that hasn't completely changed.
Hope that has helped :smile:

Thank you so much for you're help. I really appreciate it. But I talked to the teachers and staff at my sixth form and they told me I shouldn't take as I will much too late to join in. Unless I take a levels for 3 years. So I guess I'll just stick to my 3 current a levels and focus on them.
Good luck with you're A-levels!
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry I can't really help either. For Psychology I make flash cards with questions on, and I watch videos of the experiments on YouTube. I do English literature, and because I've joined it late, all the catch up work I'm doing is good revision also - reading through powerpoints, doing wider reading etc.

I'm also doing ocr biology, but I'm finishing it really hard, I've made mindmaps and flash cards, but I just don't seem to be getting the grades. How are you finding it so far?
Reply 11
Original post by chloecrazy
Sorry I can't really help either. For Psychology I make flash cards with questions on, and I watch videos of the experiments on YouTube. I do English literature, and because I've joined it late, all the catch up work I'm doing is good revision also - reading through powerpoints, doing wider reading etc.

I'm also doing ocr biology, but I'm finishing it really hard, I've made mindmaps and flash cards, but I just don't seem to be getting the grades. How are you finding it so far?

Thank you for your help. In Biology, I'm going through my notes and making my own condensed versions of them. We also have this online textbook on Kerboodle where I do the summary questions. I've found that writing the key word on flashcards is really helpful. To be honest, I'm getting mostly Bs but there have a been a couple of As and a couple of Cs.
I got A* in Psychology, A in Chemistry and A in Biology so pretty much all the same subjects.
There were 2 steps to my revision I think. Firstly, condensing everything onto flashcards and then going through them to learn things, as I really didn't like learning from full pages of detailed notes. Secondly, past papers and mark schemes. I spent months doing papers and marking them (especially for Chem and Bio) because the mark schemes showed exactly where I went wrong and the format they expect in the answers. If you do the last 5/6 years of past papers for your exam board, you will have seen the vast majority of question types and how to answer them.
Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
Reply 13
Original post by jemmaaa0853
I got A* in Psychology, A in Chemistry and A in Biology so pretty much all the same subjects.
There were 2 steps to my revision I think. Firstly, condensing everything onto flashcards and then going through them to learn things, as I really didn't like learning from full pages of detailed notes. Secondly, past papers and mark schemes. I spent months doing papers and marking them (especially for Chem and Bio) because the mark schemes showed exactly where I went wrong and the format they expect in the answers. If you do the last 5/6 years of past papers for your exam board, you will have seen the vast majority of question types and how to answer them.
Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

thank you so much for your help! I can see why everyone says doing past papers is so good, hence your amazing results! Yes I definitely will message you about your revision :smile: Just wondering what you have gone on to do now?
thank you so much for your help! I can see why everyone says doing past papers is so good, hence your amazing results! Yes I definitely will message you about your revision :smile: Just wondering what you have gone on to do now?

Ah thank you so much! Yh feel free to message me whenever.
I've applied to study medicine at uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest