The Student Room Group

Can an employer legally refuse to allow me to go on sick?

As title...

Provided I supply medical evidence to support my claim of work-related stress, exacerbatiom of depression and stress. Can the employer reasonably refuse or refute my application?

I dont feel comfortable telling my boss or her immediate Management team or Senior Managers. Im going to email how I feel to Human Resources, and document the fact im going to go to doctors. They are aware I suffer from anxiety but not aware ive been on meds for the last 8/9 months. Ive also had a fair few number of absenses due to illness (though didnt state it was for mental healfh, told them it was sickness and diarhoea), and I just dont feel comfortable to tell ghem. The job itself is fine- its the environment, staff and the undermining of peoples abilities.

Ive recently had runnings with managers over timetabling issues and trying to get my shifts covered because i cant get to work (no transport bank hols and no money to pay for taxi), they rejexted the cover i got and are been awkward. Telling me i shouldve arranged well in advance...yet the rota for new years was only released xmas day.
Reply 1
You need to be honest too you know. You can't just claim an ongoing illness as one-off incidences because that looks pretty suspicious
Original post by royal1990
As title...

Provided I supply medical evidence to support my claim of work-related stress, exacerbatiom of depression and stress. Can the employer reasonably refuse or refute my application?

I dont feel comfortable telling my boss or her immediate Management team or Senior Managers. Im going to email how I feel to Human Resources, and document the fact im going to go to doctors. They are aware I suffer from anxiety but not aware ive been on meds for the last 8/9 months. Ive also had a fair few number of absenses due to illness (though didnt state it was for mental healfh, told them it was sickness and diarhoea), and I just dont feel comfortable to tell ghem. The job itself is fine- its the environment, staff and the undermining of peoples abilities.

Ive recently had runnings with managers over timetabling issues and trying to get my shifts covered because i cant get to work (no transport bank hols and no money to pay for taxi), they rejexted the cover i got and are been awkward. Telling me i shouldve arranged well in advance...yet the rota for new years was only released xmas day.

Contact either your local law centre, disability rights or CAB. I dont think so, but I would have to look it up.
They will have a maximum period you can self-certify for. In my job, that is 7 days. After that, you need a sick note from a doctor.

If you have a sick note from a doctor there is nothing they can do about you being off sick. Their insurance won't even cover you working there as a doctor has deemed you medically unfit for work. They may wish that reviewed by their own occupation health services. If you are in a probation period they can potentially dismiss you, and if the stress is caused by work then it's up to you to claim that as an unfair dismissal or seek damages as a workplace sickness, those cases are often settled out of court without an admission of liability.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by doggyher
You need to be honest too you know. You can't just claim an ongoing illness as one-off incidences because that looks pretty suspicious

I havent claimed anything to be of a one-off nature. At some of those times I was suffering sickness and such due to stress. My mental health concerns were only made worse by the workplace politics and bullying, harrassing of other colleagues which ive been witness too. My GP recommended I go on sick and suggested it to me last time. But I dismissed it becauss I was woddied about the financial burden.
Reply 5
Original post by royal1990
I havent claimed anything to be of a one-off nature. At some of those times I was suffering sickness and such due to stress. My mental health concerns were only made worse by the workplace politics and bullying, harrassing of other colleagues which ive been witness too. My GP recommended I go on sick and suggested it to me last time. But I dismissed it becauss I was woddied about the financial burden.

Okay well just make this clear to them and yes I think you've got a reasonable case, you should seek legal action if they do refuse you.
Reply 6
If you are in a union, speak to the union person where you work or email the one you are with, they should know the legalities of it and be able to help.
I'm not sure of the exact legalities. Contacting ACAS or someone for advice is your best bet. I do know you can't contest being fired unfairly unless you've been working somewhere more than 2 years - although this may not apply if you can claim they're discriminating against a disability? I'm not sure on that though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending