The Student Room Group

Laptop for university advice needed

Hey guys, need advice for a laptop for uni. Do you think an i3 processor would be too slow??

I am thinking of buying this one: Lenovo 510 yoga

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-yoga-510-14-full-hd-2-in-1-with-faster-ssd-storage-black-10153587-pdt.html?istCompanyId=9a35962d-802d-4e67-9721-0a3328ca1f02&istItemId=xitxawmwtq&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1011+%28PLA%29+Windows+Laptops+%26+Convertibles~1011+%28PLA%29+Windows+Laptops+%26+Convertibles+ad+group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001428953!169105537865!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=m&ds_kids=92700016608297739&PLA=1&gclid=CjwKEAiAqJjDBRCG5KK6hq_juDwSJABRm03h7Fpt-FXwhpzmG149cOAiwls8MQnsGTPQ8OKPU6FJgxoC2vLw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPWq97SznNECFdMh0wodaIkAZQ

It has ssd which I think would be pretty good and it seems like a good deal.

Also the size is 14 inch, however the 15.6 inch laptops are cheaper even with i5 etc but I think they wouldn't be so portable to carry around.
Really stuck on which one to buy

If you have a particularly good laptop that you own and use for uni, let me know about it so I can check it out.

Thanks TSR :biggrin:
SSD does sound good, but they are pretty expensive so often a lot smaller (less GB) than an equivalent hard drive. This can become a bit of a pain - if for example you are someone with lots of pictures/ films/ music on your laptop you can quickly run out of memory space.

Personally I would find 14" a bit too small - if you're going to be spending a fair amount of time using it you may want a larger screen. But as you say, it would be convenient to carry around.

If I were you, I would go into the store and try out as many different laptops as possible. That will give you an idea of how fast they are, how nice the screen is, if they are light enough to fit in your bag, etc.

I had a decent laptop (HP something or other, usually a pretty expensive business one but got it second hand off Dad's work) for the first few years at uni. It weighed an absolute tonne though and the battery was dying, so for my year abroad I took my little 6 year old Samsung netbook - worst decision EVER, everything broke on it. Half way though the year got a really cheap laptop with SSD, but that also packed in within 6 months (some idiot had put Windows 10 on it and it just couldn't cope). Eventually this summer I decided that I really needed a decent laptop and got myself a MacBook Pro (the slightly older version - not the one they've just released). Absolutely love it, yes it was very expensive but it JUST WORKS rather than spending half an hour to open anything. Never had any issues with programs crashing, it's great.
Get one with loadsa ram
Original post by Mystery.
Hey guys, need advice for a laptop for uni. Do you think an i3 processor would be too slow??

I am thinking of buying this one: Lenovo 510 yoga

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-yoga-510-14-full-hd-2-in-1-with-faster-ssd-storage-black-10153587-pdt.html?istCompanyId=9a35962d-802d-4e67-9721-0a3328ca1f02&istItemId=xitxawmwtq&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1011+%28PLA%29+Windows+Laptops+%26+Convertibles~1011+%28PLA%29+Windows+Laptops+%26+Convertibles+ad+group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001428953!169105537865!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=m&ds_kids=92700016608297739&PLA=1&gclid=CjwKEAiAqJjDBRCG5KK6hq_juDwSJABRm03h7Fpt-FXwhpzmG149cOAiwls8MQnsGTPQ8OKPU6FJgxoC2vLw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPWq97SznNECFdMh0wodaIkAZQ

It has ssd which I think would be pretty good and it seems like a good deal.

Also the size is 14 inch, however the 15.6 inch laptops are cheaper even with i5 etc but I think they wouldn't be so portable to carry around.
Really stuck on which one to buy

If you have a particularly good laptop that you own and use for uni, let me know about it so I can check it out.

Thanks TSR :biggrin:

I personally use a Microsoft surface pro 3 w/ i3 processor and its more than enough for uni unless your doing graphic design or something then I'd recommend a i5 possibly with a SSD and maybe with a dedicated GPU
Microsoft surface pro is good, especially when doing creative subjects like art or DT. My sister has a surface pro, and we both think it's practical. It cost loads though, I mean 120 quid for a keyboard!? The surface pro has little USB ports too. They have like 1 or 2. Compared to that Lenovo, the surface pro has a faster processing time 2.4 GHz / 3 GHz with Turbo Boost compared to only 2.3 GHz.

If you want to go a bit cheaper, imo Lenovo is a good company for work laptops. The i3 processor is good for this kind of use too. My school has Lenovo laptops and they work well. If you're not doing creative subjects then I think the Lenovo laptop is better. The SSD also compliments the RAM really well.

It's a hard choice for this kind of laptop especially with these kinds of laptops coming out within the last 1-2yrs. People may disagree with me, but eh.

Quick Reply

Latest