The Student Room Group

Cytokinesis in plant cells

I was wondering if anyone could explain the following:

"if the dividing cell wall were formed before the daughter cells separated they would immediately undergo osmotic lysis"

My textbook doesn't really explain why they would undergo osmotic lysis.
Reply 1
Probabily because the cell wall can only resist pressure for a particular cell size, if 2 cells are in the same cell wall that means double the size of a normal cell so the increases in volume can not be stabilised, cell wall breaks so does plasma membrane. I am not sure of my answer but that's what I could think of.

Edit: in case it is not clear, the increase in volume due to osmosin of water into the cell due to differences in water potential.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Rana1997
Probabily because the cell wall can only resist pressure for a particular cell size, if 2 cells are in the same cell wall that means double the size of a normal cell so the increases in volume can not be stabilised, cell wall breaks so does plasma membrane. I am not sure of my answer but that's what I could think of.

Edit: in case it is not clear, the increase in volume due to osmosin of water into the cell due to differences in water potential.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending