The Student Room Group

WHY NOT?! GCSE Year 10 Grade Growing!!

:bunny::bunny: HELLO AND WELCOME! :bunny::bunny:

WHY NOT?!:
This is something I often tell myself whenever I feel doubt or that I am not good enough. Why not? Why can't I improve my grades and get the ones which I REALLY want? It shows that if you want something so bad you can get it. Sure, you need to put in a TON of hard work. But you CAN get it- after all, why not?

About Me (And my goals):
I am in Year 10 at the moment doing GCSEs with the new grading system (9-1). In all my classes I am in the top group, except for Science as I was moved down last year due to my drop in grades. This was purely my fault for not revising. One of my goals this year is to improve in my grades so that I can move up groups next year. But in the majority of classes, I am unhappy with the grades I am receiving so I have decided to work as hard as I can to improve them drastically- hence why I am doing this blog.
To do this I have started doing extra revision including online, offline and extra work which my teachers have agreed to mark for me.
Hopefully this blog will motivate me to revise more and just get down to work-instead of procrastinating!

My Current Target Grades:
English Language: 7
English Literature: 7
Drama: 6
History: 7
Maths: 8
Religious Studies: 7
Physics: 7
Chemistry: 7
Biology: 7
Spanish: 7

*I also hope to improve my target grades in the upcoming mocks
* I have also been taking Geography as an extra GCSE by self-studying but I am hoping to swap Drama with it as I have already studied the topics done and I regret taking Drama. (I will keep you posted on what my teachers allow me to do.)

About this Blog:
In this blog I will be posting:

My daily/ weekly goals (And whether I complete them!)

Any revision timetables I make (These are normally made for holidays)

Any test results I get back to see whether I am progressing (as well as my opinion on the result)

My revision tips

AND LOTS OF OTHER AWESOME STUFF!!

Scroll to see replies

My Christmas Holiday Revision Timetable:

Screenshot 2016-12-24 at 13.19.09.png

This is a late post as I have only just found about the competition, so three days have already been done.

Each box stands for one hour (except for Spanish S, as this means a small amount of Spanish which varies depending on what I feel like each day.)

So I'm going to go over what I did on each day/ what I completed!:

Wednesday 21st December:

1 hour English Language- This one was completed YAY!! I made mind maps for 'London' by William Blake

1 hour Maths- This one was started but not completed- oops.... I only did 10 minutes for which I watched a video on Maths Watch

1 hour Religious Studies- I did not complete this, but I did 40 minutes so it wasn't a complete fail. I watched videos on youtube (MrMcMillianREvise) and I made a few notes

Short Spanish- I watched a 20 minute video on youtube (ButterflySpanish) on reflexive verbs

1 hour of DoE Skills- Nope, this was a complete fail....

I didn't do everything I planned, but I don't think this day was a complete fail.

Thursday 22nd December:

1 Hour History- This was completed, YAAAAY!! For this I watched a online video on Weimar Germany (sorry I've forgotten who it was by on youtube) and I made three pages of notes.

1 Hour English Literature- I am really annoyed at myself for this one. I did 50 minutes and had the intention to listen to a 10 minute podcast on 'An Inspector Calls' (mrbruff) before I went to sleep. But I forgot. Anyways, for this one I read through the overall summary and studied Act One parts 1,2 and 3. I did this with a York Notes Study Guide whilst making notes. And to finish off I watched a review video by mrbruff on youtube.

1 Hour Spanish- Completed!! I wrote notes on reflexive verbs from the video I watched the day before. I then proceeded to learn some reflexive verbs on Quizlet. After this, I went onto Kerboodle (where there are online textbooks and quizzes) where I read some more on Reflexive verbs (as I was still a little confused) and I took a few tests.

DoE Skills- And again I did not do this....

This day went pretty well if it weren't for me forgetting to listen to a podcast and putting off DoE Skills AGAIN!!

Friday 23rd December:

I really want to pretend that this day did not exist. But no.

I must own up to my shame....

It's easier to write what I did do that what I didn't do. Cause I did not do a lot.

I did One Hour of Science in which I researched the main factors that go towards causing cancer as well as researching lots of different ideas people have for why aging causes cancer. I put this information onto oa powerpoint. BUT this was partly for a project which I have to do over the holidays as homework, so not sure whether I am going to let myself have this one.

And I did a Small Amount of Spanish where I watched a ButterflySpanish video on the uses of 'Ser' and 'Estar'. I also did a worksheet on Kerboodle.

And that was all..... I failed at English Language. History, Maths and perhaps Science (depending on how you look at it). I'm going to let myself have that cause Christmas and all, BUT I am having to do DoE Skills today (CHRISTMAS EVE!) because of my terribleness!

*For any of you wondering, for my DoE (Duke of Edinburgh) Skills I am researching and going to eventually do an experiment on the Olfactory System (essentially the sense of smell) and how scents can affect someone's memory.

This is probably going to be my last post before CHRISTMAS!! So MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone! I hope your Christmas is filled with joy, family and love. :holly:
Original post by Hannah-Brown
My Christmas Holiday Revision Timetable:

Screenshot 2016-12-24 at 13.19.09.png

This is a late post as I have only just found about the competition, so three days have already been done.

Each box stands for one hour (except for Spanish S, as this means a small amount of Spanish which varies depending on what I feel like each day.)

So I'm going to go over what I did on each day/ what I completed!:

Wednesday 21st December:

1 hour English Language- This one was completed YAY!! I made mind maps for 'London' by William Blake

1 hour Maths- This one was started but not completed- oops.... I only did 10 minutes for which I watched a video on Maths Watch

1 hour Religious Studies- I did not complete this, but I did 40 minutes so it wasn't a complete fail. I watched videos on youtube (MrMcMillianREvise) and I made a few notes

Short Spanish- I watched a 20 minute video on youtube (ButterflySpanish) on reflexive verbs

1 hour of DoE Skills- Nope, this was a complete fail....

I didn't do everything I planned, but I don't think this day was a complete fail.

Thursday 22nd December:

1 Hour History- This was completed, YAAAAY!! For this I watched a online video on Weimar Germany (sorry I've forgotten who it was by on youtube) and I made three pages of notes.

1 Hour English Literature- I am really annoyed at myself for this one. I did 50 minutes and had the intention to listen to a 10 minute podcast on 'An Inspector Calls' (mrbruff) before I went to sleep. But I forgot. Anyways, for this one I read through the overall summary and studied Act One parts 1,2 and 3. I did this with a York Notes Study Guide whilst making notes. And to finish off I watched a review video by mrbruff on youtube.

1 Hour Spanish- Completed!! I wrote notes on reflexive verbs from the video I watched the day before. I then proceeded to learn some reflexive verbs on Quizlet. After this, I went onto Kerboodle (where there are online textbooks and quizzes) where I read some more on Reflexive verbs (as I was still a little confused) and I took a few tests.

DoE Skills- And again I did not do this....

This day went pretty well if it weren't for me forgetting to listen to a podcast and putting off DoE Skills AGAIN!!

Friday 23rd December:

I really want to pretend that this day did not exist. But no.

I must own up to my shame....

It's easier to write what I did do that what I didn't do. Cause I did not do a lot.

I did One Hour of Science in which I researched the main factors that go towards causing cancer as well as researching lots of different ideas people have for why aging causes cancer. I put this information onto oa powerpoint. BUT this was partly for a project which I have to do over the holidays as homework, so not sure whether I am going to let myself have this one.

And I did a Small Amount of Spanish where I watched a ButterflySpanish video on the uses of 'Ser' and 'Estar'. I also did a worksheet on Kerboodle.

And that was all..... I failed at English Language. History, Maths and perhaps Science (depending on how you look at it). I'm going to let myself have that cause Christmas and all, BUT I am having to do DoE Skills today (CHRISTMAS EVE!) because of my terribleness!

*For any of you wondering, for my DoE (Duke of Edinburgh) Skills I am researching and going to eventually do an experiment on the Olfactory System (essentially the sense of smell) and how scents can affect someone's memory.

This is probably going to be my last post before CHRISTMAS!! So MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone! I hope your Christmas is filled with joy, family and love. :holly:

Wow. I am impressed. I'm in year 10 as well and I have been revising. I tend to not make a timetable for my revision but you have inspired me. How are you finding the new spec in your subjects?
Original post by Dip_Immunity
Wow. I am impressed. I'm in year 10 as well and I have been revising. I tend to not make a timetable for my revision but you have inspired me. How are you finding the new spec in your subjects?

I find that timetables motivate me to revise otherwise I'd just do nothing at all. You should definitely give them a try. And I hope your revision is going well!

I'm definitely enjoying my subjects a lot more this year as they are more informative and interesting than previous years. However, I'm struggling a little with History as I've never really had to learn dates and important people before and there are SO many!! Hopefully I should be fine as long as I keep revising them though! What about you?
I find that timetables motivate me to revise otherwise I'd just do nothing at all. You should definitely give them a try. And I hope your revision is going well!

I'm definitely enjoying my subjects a lot more this year as they are more informative and interesting than previous years. However, I'm struggling a little with History as I've never really had to learn dates and important people before and there are SO many!! Hopefully I should be fine as long as I keep revising them though! What about you?

I do Geography so I do not have as many dates as you. I'm definitely enjoying my subjects more as well, especially my Sciences, however, the equations and formulas are so much. I think I'm just gonna have to write all of them down and actually memorise them.

I'm doing DofE as well. For my Skills, I am doing participating several debating topics and mentoring younger years who are starting to debate.
I do Geography so I do not have as many dates as you. I'm definitely enjoying my subjects more as well, especially my Sciences, however, the equations and formulas are so much. I think I'm just gonna have to write all of them down and actually memorise them.

I'm doing DofE as well. For my Skills, I am doing participating several debating topics and mentoring younger years who are starting to debate.

Yeah, Science equations are a real pain- especially physics. I'd recommend Quizlet for learning/ memorising them.

Oh wow, that sounds like so much fun and very interesting!
Monday 26th December (BOXING DAY!)

Today wasn't the most productive day at all, but that is fine as I hadn't planned to do anything as it is the day after Christmas. However, I did create a folder on Quizlet which had all of the vocab for my Spanish GCSE as stated by my exam board- AQA. All together there were 1,803 terms/ words to input so it did take a good few hours. I'm very happy that I have got this done as now I can begin learning them all.

What is Quizlet?

Quizlet is a website and app which you can make study sets which can be turned into flashcards, games and tests. I especially find it a great tool for learning language vocab as you can input the English and translation from which you can learn the terms. As well as this, it has a function where it will read out what you put in the correct language. I find this a great help as I often struggle with pronouncing Spanish words. But it can also be used for other things such as equations etc. You can also use study sets that other members have created.
There is a free and a paid version. I currently have the free version and it does everything I want it to do but I expect I will soon get the paid version as it has Long-Term Learning which means it will keep going over the terms you often miss in a large group of sets. (For pictures of Quizlet please see at the end of the post).

Anyways that's all for today and I'm sorry that it isn't particularly exciting as I didn't do much but tomorrow should be better as I will be back to following the timetable.

Oh, I also did not complete the DoE skills, oops.... I'm gonna try and do it in the remainder of today but if not I'll just have to fit it into another day.

I hope you all had a great Christmas!! And I'll be back tomorrow!
Monday 26th December (BOXING DAY!)

Today wasn't the most productive day at all, but that is fine as I hadn't planned to do anything as it is the day after Christmas. However, I did create a folder on Quizlet which had all of the vocab for my Spanish GCSE as stated by my exam board- AQA. All together there were 1,803 terms/ words to input so it did take a good few hours. I'm very happy that I have got this done as now I can begin learning them all.

What is Quizlet?

Quizlet is a website and app which you can make study sets which can be turned into flashcards, games and tests. I especially find it a great tool for learning language vocab as you can input the English and translation from which you can learn the terms. As well as this, it has a function where it will read out what you put in the correct language. I find this a great help as I often struggle with pronouncing Spanish words. But it can also be used for other things such as equations etc. You can also use study sets that other members have created.
There is a free and a paid version. I currently have the free version and it does everything I want it to do but I expect I will soon get the paid version as it has Long-Term Learning which means it will keep going over the terms you often miss in a large group of sets. (For pictures of Quizlet please see at the end of the post).

Anyways that's all for today and I'm sorry that it isn't particularly exciting as I didn't do much but tomorrow should be better as I will be back to following the timetable.

Oh, I also did not complete the DoE skills, oops.... I'm gonna try and do it in the remainder of today but if not I'll just have to fit it into another day.

I hope you all had a great Christmas!! And I'll be back tomorrow!

Well done. I did some Maths and science today.
Well done. I did some Maths and science today.

Ooh well done, you've been a lot more productive than me!
Well done and good luck ! You seem so motivated :smile: I will be watching this thread :h:
Original post by nisha.sri
Well done and good luck ! You seem so motivated :smile: I will be watching this thread :h:

Thank you so much!! :h:
Tuesday 27th December

*Sorry if this seems a little rushed, I wrote this before but then my laptop crashed :mad: before I posted it so I'm now just quickly trying to write it again cause I really want to do some RS and get to sleep at a reasonable time as I need to get up early tomorrow.

Today I woke up late and was really not in the mood for studying as a result (plus I haven't done any for the past three days cause Christmas). But I spent a while going through motivational quotes (literally the only thing which makes me get out of bed- except perhaps a fire or something), doodled one in my bullet journal and was finally ready to study (after lunch and too many episodes of TV- naturally). So onto what I did and didn't do!

1 Hour English Language: I did this and it seemed to be quite easy to get through which was unusual for me as I normally find English Language quite an endower to get through. But this was probably because halfway through a speaker I ordered arrived so I had a long break setting it up. So for English Lang. I made notes on the poem 'Remains' using BBC Bitesize. However, I have no idea how to revise how to improve my writing style/ voice/ whatever it is called. I've tried writing answers over and over again but it doesn't seem to be working. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve the quality of writing? I would really appreciate any input!

1 Hour Maths: This was completed. I started with the intention of beginning to go through all the videos on Maths Watch. However it turned out that the videos started with grade 1 stuff and this would have been a waste of my time if I were to watch all the videos on it. So instead I did some work on Transformation of functions. This is because I know my class are going to start this soon so it's good to have a little knowledge on the subject before the lesson.

1 Hour Spanish: Again this was completed. But I was finding it hard to concentrate and get work done when I started this. So I played pop music, which is a large contrast to the classical music I normally listen to when I revise as it helps me concentrate. I also wrote in bright colours for notes. This made the act of revising the Spanish more enjoyable. For Spanish, I made some notes on the video I watched before Christmas (The uses of Ser and Estar). I then took a few tests on the conjugations of the verbs to make sure I knew them. Then for the rest of the hour, I learned some vocab on Quizlet.

1 Hour Religious Studies: I have not done this yet, but I intend to listen to some podcasts or watch a few videos after I've posted this (so I'll let you know tomorrow whether I did it or not). It probably will not add up to 1 hour though but RS is not something which I am struggling in so I'm not too fussed if I don't get the hour.

But I'll do as much as I can.

:lies:(I'll probably end up watching YouTube).

I've decided to include a picture in each post to make it a little more interesting so here is one of some of my notes from today as well as my bullet journal!:

EDIT: Sorry that the picture is all fuzzy I don't know why it has done that but I can't seem to make it unfuzz!
(edited 7 years ago)
Catching Up (Wed- Thurs + Friday Plan)

Apologies for the lack of posts on Wednesday and Thursday, this was because I failed at doing work.

On Wednesday I was out all day and only got back in the early evening, so I only ended up doing about 40 minutes of Spanish on Quizlet (I actually ended up buying the premium version). I am annoyed at myself for the lack of work on this day but I didn't have too much chance to do any compared to Thursday.

Thursday was absolutely shameful. I woke up all ready to do work, but ended up just procrastinating. All I managed was about an hour of science doing my project. And, I kid you not, I spent nearly six hours consecutively watching Dan and Phil on YouTube... I found a new series of hour long videos on their game channel. No work was done, but worth it......? In the long run, not really.

So onto today. Since I have missed out the timetable for the past two days, I have decided to just make a plan for today as the stuff I needed to do in the previous days has not been completed. And then I will update you at the end of the day with what I have, and haven't completed.

Thursday's Goals:

Absolute Minimum:

Finish Science Project

Go through at least 20 terms on Quizlet for Spanish

AT LEAST on hour on DoE Skills (I am about two weeks behind....)

Choose an essay question for English Lit. and begin planning the answer

Extra (Should be done though):

Begin History revision sheets (1 Hour)

Read the chapter on the Circulatory System in Biology textbook

Go through at least 50 terms on Quizlet for Spanish

So that's it, I'm hoping to get through everything today (and hopefully not get too distracted by Dan and Phil/ other YouTube stuff).
Me too. Yesterday I did next to nothing. All I did was finish my revision timetable, and read some Chemistry pages on Kerboodle.

I will do so Spanish and Computer Science today, I think.

Good luck, Hannah
Me too. Yesterday I did next to nothing. All I did was finish my revision timetable, and read some Chemistry pages on Kerboodle.

I will do so Spanish and Computer Science today, I think.

Good luck, Hannah

Oh no! But that's not too bad and the timetable should be beneficial.

Thanks, and good luck to you too!
Friday 30th December UPDATE

Okay, so I'm not too disappointed with today's output of work (plus I got to watch two hours of Dan and Phil on YouTube sooooo...) Anyways, onto what I did (and unfortunately didn't do):

Finish Science Project: Doooonnnnneeeee! Not much to say really, it was just a powerpoint thingy on my current Biology topic.

Go through at least 50 terms on Quizlet: Tick! I did 58 and it actually took less time that I expected so I think I will aim to do more next time.

At least an hour of DoE Skills: I did this- but only the minimum of one hour. This was because I only just understood what I was going over in that hour and I didn't want to confuse myself.

Choose an essay question for English Lit. and plan it: This was done, I actually ended up getting the question from an English textbook which is great as it has a marking scheme at the back. For the plan I started to revise more into the subject and made a rough plan of the paragraphs.

Begin history revision (for a least an hour): This is the one I failed. I did start it- but only got thirty minutes done. I would have got the rest done if I hadn't decided to make the deadly decision to dive into YouTube (oops).

Read the chapter on the Circulatory system in the Biology textbook: Completed. Again, not much to say.

Plan for Saturday 31st December (WITH UPDATE):

Again, I'm straying from the timetable as I missed a few days prior.

1 Hour of DoE Skills (I am still a week or two behind): This wasn't even started.....

100 terms on Quizlet for Spanish: Fortunately, this was completed!

Write the essay for English Lit.: This wasn't stated because I decided that I did not have the amount of information I wanted to write it. So instead I did some research on the topic of my essay question and put all the information into a document.

Re-read Biology chapter: This was done.

Continue making revision sheets for History (1 Hour): This was also done, the title pretty much says it all- I went through my notes in my school book and condensed some of it into a few pages.

Begin writing up Drama notes (incase my school does not allow me to switch Drama for Geography): I didn't even attempt to start this, oops...

Revise Chemistry (About an hour): I only did about ten minutes of this before giving up, oops again...

So that's it for today! I'll be back tomorrow and I might include a study/ school related list of New Year's Resolutions (cause whhhyyyy not). Hope you all have a productive end to 2016!

(Again, apologies for the fuzziness of the picture, it's not fuzzy when I took it but it just seems to turn fuzzy whenever I try to put it on here, sorry again!)
(edited 7 years ago)
*I have edited the post above with what I did and didn't do as I thought that would save space compared to essentially writing out the same thing and just adding a few extra sentences.

New Year's Resolutions (Study Related):

I thought I'd include a short New Year's Resolutions section with this post since it is New Year's Eve today. Plus it will be good for me to come back to next year and see whether I accomplished anything (but I probably won't have, I mean let's be honest).
So here they are!:

Be more productive: I'm not normally the most productive person, but I hope to change this to affect my school work and hopefully help in the next one:

Improve my grades: As I have stated in the first post thingy on here, I am not pleased at all with my current grades. I didn't try much last year and I am paying the price for it this year. But ideally I should be able to improve them dramatically by doing a lot more revision and trying harder.

Move up a science set: I mentioned this as one of my goals in the first post as well, but I thought I'd include it here as well. I got moved down a set in science this year which I am really annoyed at myself for. However I am hoping to improve my grades in science enough for me to move up.

Not be the worst in the set!: So, except for science, I am in the top set for all my classes. But I am normally one of the (or the) worst achieving in that class. This is something which I want to make a change in. Again, this all really links in with being more productive. I am going to work as hard as I can to make sure that I am not that person.

It's not the longest of lists but those are the four main points I am going to work on this year.

And now onto:

Sunday 1st January (2017!!):

So I was actually going to have a break on Sunday but I did so badly today that I have decided to just carry on the majority of the tasks that I did not complete (and add some Spanish cause I am terrible at Spanish)

150 Spanish terms Done!!

Finish getting information and planning English essay: Not done.

Write English essay (timed): Not done, again.

1 Hour of DoE Skills: Nope...

Begin Drama notes: I am sure that you can guess the status of this task.

So this day was even less productive than the last, oops.............

:badger:HAPPY NEW YEAR ('s eve):badger:
(edited 7 years ago)
Monday 2nd December

There isn't a particularly long list of things to do for Monday as I haven't been following the tasks which I have set the past few days and, to be honest, I do not think I am likely to do much tomorrow. I've also not included a time limit for each one, but I still probably update the time I did as I like to record this regardless of whether I have a goal or not.

Spanish Terms on Quizlet (Not a designated amount): I did 58 terms which isn't very good compared to my other days.

Begin (and complete!) Drama notes: I did this in a panic at the end of the day, yaaaaaaayyyy :s-smilie:

Research briefly into new History topic: This was completed but I did not do much and just watched a short video.

1 Hour DoE Skills (I wouldn't be super annoyed with myself if I did not complete this but I'm going to try as it would be nice to get it done) Yeah, this was not done.

Sorry this is not a long post, but SHERLOCK SEASON FOUR IS ABOUT TO START! So yeah, bye for now!

*The picture will be uploaded tomorrow because I do not have enough time to do it now, sorry!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey, great blog - you are making amazing progress! :smile: I am so impressed with the amount of revision you're doing, I'm currently in yr11 and if I studied as much as you when I was in year 10, I probably wouldn't have to do so much now haha :s-smilie:

I just made a GYG thread for my GCSEs, feel free to have a watch to see how I get on x
Best of luck with your studies!!
Original post by misstiah_h
Hey, great blog - you are making amazing progress! :smile: I am so impressed with the amount of revision you're doing, I'm currently in yr11 and if I studied as much as you when I was in year 10, I probably wouldn't have to do so much now haha :s-smilie:

I just made a GYG thread for my GCSEs, feel free to have a watch to see how I get on x
Best of luck with your studies!!

Thank you so much! Haha, I've been motivated to revise due to how much I've been falling behind so I expect I'm gonna be freaking out in Year 11!

Ooh, I'll make sure to check that out.

Thanks, you too!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending