The Student Room Group

Geography essay help please.

Hi guys :smile:

Been given this essay question and i am currently doing year 12 geography.
Assess the view the level of economic development is the key factor determining the severity of impacts of tectonic disasters. [12 marks]

And I am clueless to know how to, go about answer this. All I have been told is to define the key terms as your introduction, and am i right in thinking the key terms are "economic development" and "tectonic disasters".

I need help. Before the hate comes through I ain't asking you to write it for me, just need some pointers on what to do.

Also it is due tomorrow and i have no study time (Free periods) tomorrow to complete it and before more hate comes I never even know I had this essay until I check my emails.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bluebutterfly310
Hi guys :smile:

Been given this essay question and i am currently doing year 12 geography.
Assess the view the level of economic development is the key factor determining the severity of impacts of tectonic disasters. [12 marks]

And I am clueless to know how to, go about answer this. All I have been told is to define the key terms as your introduction, and am i right in thinking the key terms are "economic development" and "tectonic disasters".

I need help. Before the hate comes through I ain't asking you to write it for me, just need some pointers on what to do.

Also it is due tomorrow and i have no study time (Free periods) tomorrow to complete it and before more hate comes I never even know I had this essay until I check my emails.

Hi Blue :tongue:

There are many ways in which you can tackle this question. Firstly defining economic development is crucial to this essay. Tectonic disasters should be defined but it is pretty straightforward. Severity is another term that should be defined (how do you quantify severity of a disaster?)

One of the ways that you can look at this issue is to look at a country's gdp in relation to how much money they lose in tectonic disasters such as earthquakes and tsunamis, then you can consider other factors such as strength of earthquake and technological advancements in a given nation. Then come to a conclusion about this as a whole (I believe that there is a strong correlation there but I am not sure)

Anyways good luck :smile: anymore questions just pm me.
Original post by wolfmoon88
Hi Blue :tongue:

There are many ways in which you can tackle this question. Firstly defining economic development is crucial to this essay. Tectonic disasters should be defined but it is pretty straightforward. Severity is another term that should be defined (how do you quantify severity of a disaster?)

One of the ways that you can look at this issue is to look at a country's gdp in relation to how much money they lose in tectonic disasters such as earthquakes and tsunamis, then you can consider other factors such as strength of earthquake and technological advancements in a given nation. Then come to a conclusion about this as a whole (I believe that there is a strong correlation there but I am not sure)

Anyways good luck :smile: anymore questions just pm me.

Hi

First off all thank you, you are literally saving me from having to staying up late.

Yea thought it was, but how do you define economic development? (thats what im struggling with as well) and already defined tectonic disaster. And oh didnt release i should but will define severity now.

Oh i see thank you, so would I like use the Park model to help talk about the economic lost and that for like a LEDC and a MEDC?

Thanks will need it
Hi

First off all thank you, you are literally saving me from having to staying up late.

Yea thought it was, but how do you define economic development? (thats what im struggling with as well) and already defined tectonic disaster. And oh didnt release i should but will define severity now.

Oh i see thank you, so would I like use the Park model to help talk about the economic lost and that for like a LEDC and a MEDC?

Thanks will need it

No problem :smile:

Quite honestly the definition of economic development would depend on your analysis. I would say perhaps lower GDP/ Higher GDP might be the easiest indicators to use.

Yes, applying Park's model onto two case studies, one LEDC and one MEDC (Haiti and Japan maybe) would be a great support, but you need to establish your argument first.
No problem :smile:

Quite honestly the definition of economic development would depend on your analysis. I would say perhaps lower GDP/ Higher GDP might be the easiest indicators to use.

Yes, applying Park's model onto two case studies, one LEDC and one MEDC (Haiti and Japan maybe) would be a great support, but you need to establish your argument first.

Fair enough, so something along the lines of the higher GDP a country has, the more developed it is and the more improved the quality of life is for the people in the community.

Okay dokey and how would you establish the argument? Would ya just build on the for (agreeing) with the level of economic development is a key factor and build on the against (disagreeing) with the fact the level of economic development is a key factor?
Fair enough, so something along the lines of the higher GDP a country has, the more developed it is and the more improved the quality of life is for the people in the community.

Okay dokey and how would you establish the argument? Would ya just build on the for (agreeing) with the level of economic development is a key factor and build on the against (disagreeing) with the fact the level of economic development is a key factor?

Yep that's ok :smile: start with that.
Yep that's ok :smile: start with that.

Coolio and then have a paragraph for the "for" and then a paragraph for "against" then finish with a conclusion paragraph. Would that be alright?
Coolio and then have a paragraph for the "for" and then a paragraph for "against" then finish with a conclusion paragraph. Would that be alright?

yes that would be alright :smile:
yes that would be alright :smile:

Thank you so much :hugs:
Thank you so much :hugs:

no problem :hugs: good luck
no problem :hugs: good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending