The Student Room Group

Do they ask "Why do you want to study at this school" at MMI interviews

or do they only do that at formal interviews?
An MMI is an formal interview...

MMIs can ask anything they want and if you want to go to that medical school, you should know the course well, how it's taught and why you want to study there
Reply 2
Original post by Mrs House

MMIs can ask anything they want and if you want to go to that medical school, you should know the course well, how it's taught and why you want to study there

Thanks, I wasn't sure
Original post by Mrs House

Come on, try and be helpful not antagonistic.

Original post by Kraytz
or do they only do that at formal interviews?

So most Universities will send you a document along with their invite to interview, this will lay out what they are wanting from you at the interviews. You can find this document or other such information if you google " x medical School Interview policy 2017". You can also find further information on "what do they know" and search in there for the specific medical school. They have to disclose some information under the Freedom of Infomations act but understand that it is very none-specific.

Which medical school is this interview for can I ask?
Reply 4
Original post by medicwannabe15
Come on, try and be helpful not antagonistic.

I don't think @Mrs House was being antagonistic at all.

@Kraytz implied that an MMI was not a formal interview. It is a formal interview.

And then the original question was succinctly answered.
Original post by JayAhm
I don't think @Mrs House was being antagonistic at all.

@Kraytz implied that an MMI was not a formal interview. It is a formal interview.

And then the original question was succinctly answered.

It's clear the OP didn't use "formal" in the way of formality more to mean "traditional" or "panel" interview. If you can see past that then you can see the crux of the post.
Reply 6
It's clear the OP didn't use "formal" in the way of formality more to mean "traditional" or "panel" interview. If you can see past that then you can see the crux of the post.

But did you see past the first line of the response? The question which the OP had was answered. Which is kind of more than what you did...

OP may have meant panel interview, but it's important to clear things up in the forum to ensure that misinformation is not propagated.

To sum up:

Yes, an MMI is a formal interview.
Yes, they can ask for your reasons for applying to that specific Med School and what you like about that course/uni/area - in the same way as a non-MMI might.

:smile:

It wasn't clear to me at all. I read it how it was...
Original post by JayAhm
But did you see past the first line of the response? The question which the OP had was answered. Which is kind of more than what you did...

OP may have meant panel interview, but it's important to clear things up in the forum to ensure that misinformation is not propagated.

To sum up:

Yes, they can ask for your reasons for applying to that specific Med School and what you like about that course/uni/area - in the same way as a non-MMI might.

No, no no no ahaha you're missing the point on the post. The OP asks that can MMI entail more structured and straight foreword questions much like a panel interview. To which possibly (que my response)
Reply 9
No, no no no ahaha you're missing the point on the post. The OP asks that can MMI entail more structured and straight foreword questions much like a panel interview. To which possibly (que my response)

No, the OP asked whether or not they 'ask "Why do you want to study at this school" at MMI interviews'.

You just added the rest with your interpretation. And then answered with telling them to look at literature the med school would already have provided...

Whereas the other two responses answered the question. And told the OP that you can be asked anything at MMI, in the same way as a Panel interview...

Moving on... :K:
Reply 10
I meant formal as a traditional, panel interview because that's how my interview book uses the word. I'm sorry for not being the clearest but thanks everyone.
Original post by JayAhm
No, the OP asked whether or not they 'ask "Why do you want to study at this school" at MMI interviews'.

You just added the rest with your interpretation. And then answered with telling them to look at literature the med school would already have provided...

Whereas the other two responses answered the question. And told the OP that you can be asked anything at MMI, in the same way as a Panel interview...

Moving on... :K:

Ah look seems as if I was right
Original post by JayAhm

To sum up:

Thank you for defending me :tongue:
Original post by Kraytz
I meant formal as a traditional, panel interview because that's how my interview book uses the word. I'm sorry for not being the clearest but thanks everyone.

Hope that's alright :smile: I really did think you meant formal as in serious/not serious :tongue:
The specific questions asked at interview are forbidden topics of discussion... However, it wouldn't be clever to not prepare what most universities would think of as an "easy" question. "I would go to the moon to do medicine," probably wouldn't cut it - even if it's true!

Good luck with your application :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending