The Student Room Group

Lifting weights

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unistudent77
Become as strong as @Gone Revising II is your target :tongue:

Original post by Angry cucumber

lol

He already absolutely destroys me at rows.
Cool tattoo
Original post by Gone Revising II
lol

He already absolutely destroys me at rows.

Shame you wrek me at everything else

You could also easily match me at rows, you just might have to take a day off deadlifting :wink:
Original post by Angry cucumber
Shame you wrek me at everything else

You could also easily match me at rows, you just might have to take a day off deadlifting :wink:

lol, maybe smolov jr for rows is the way to go
Original post by Gone Revising II
lol, maybe smolov jr for rows is the way to go

Check your facebook please. You will see a very very important notification.
ty all

when gym reopens after christmas period i will be changing programming straight away. want more volume tbh. for sq/p/dead, will be doing the following

Monday - volume
Wednesday - light
Friday - PR*

*for the most part probably not all time PRs, just improvements on last 6 months ish

PRs to hit first week:

Squat 75kgx7
Bench 57.5kgx6
Dead 125kgx12
new year new me

planning to do de franco's agile 8 and limber 11 on off days before work. will see how it goes, just did it now and felt 'good' on all my gammy joints/knotty mooscles
Original post by Implication
new year new me

planning to do de franco's agile 8 and limber 11 on off days before work. will see how it goes, just did it now and felt 'good' on all my gammy joints/knotty mooscles

I struggle with some of those stretches i must say
I struggle with some of those stretches i must say

do you mean you struggle with the stretches themselves or you're tight too? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
accidental session with cucumber and his gf today

FitNotes Workout - Monday 2nd January 2017

** Flat Barbell Bench Press **
- 20.0 kgs x 10 reps
- 40.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 50.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 50.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 50.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 50.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 50.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 50.0 kgs x 6 reps

hoped this would be easy and it was really, will deffo be sore tomorrow though

** Neutral Chin Up **
- 73.2 kgs x 4 reps [PR]
- 73.2 kgs x 3 reps
- 73.2 kgs x 3 reps
- 73.2 kgs x 2 reps
- 73.2 kgs x 1 rep
- 73.2 kgs x 1 rep
- 73.2 kgs x 2 reps
- 73.2 kgs x 2 reps
- 73.2 kgs x 1 rep
- 73.2 kgs x 2 reps

** Incline Barbell Bench Press **
- 20.0 kgs x 10 reps
- 40.0 kgs x 8 reps
- 40.0 kgs x 8 reps
- 40.0 kgs x 8 reps

** Barbell Squat **
- 40.0 kgs x 3 reps
- 40.0 kgs x 3 reps
- 55.0 kgs x 3 reps
- 65.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 65.0 kgs x 6 reps
- 65.0 kgs x 6 reps

** Rippetoe Row **
- 52.5 kgs x 8 reps
- 52.5 kgs x 7 reps
- 52.5 kgs x 6 reps

** Lateral Dumbbell Raise **
- 2.5 kgs x 8 reps
- 2.5 kgs x 8 reps
- 2.5 kgs x 8 reps

** Rear Delt Dumbbell Raise **
- 2.5 kgs x 8 reps
- 2.5 kgs x 8 reps
- 2.5 kgs x 8 reps

** Barbell Curl **
- 22.5 kgs x 8 reps [PR]
- 22.5 kgs x 8 reps
- 22.5 kgs x 8 reps

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you mean you struggle with the stretches themselves or you're tight too? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can do the stretches, just they aren't as easy as i'd like. Like the cross leg one or the last one with one leg behind and one infront.

And also, v cute with that tsr meet up.
Reply 291
Isn't the point of agile 8/limber 11 to do it before lower body sessions so everything is all ready to go?

Personally, I'd do stuff like it (quick foam roll, mostly dynamic, short static stretches) then if you want to do more on off days, I'd so rolling targeting particular problem areas and longer static stretching.
Original post by BKS
Isn't the point of agile 8/limber 11 to do it before lower body sessions so everything is all ready to go?

Personally, I'd do stuff like it (quick foam roll, mostly dynamic, short static stretches) then if you want to do more on off days, I'd so rolling targeting particular problem areas and longer static stretching.

could be what it was created for, I'm not certain, but I'm already stretched (no pun intended) for time in my sessions and want to add stretching in off days. it's just somewhere to start with that really, I'm sure I'll adjust it if i keep it up. I think it's a decent mix of static/dynamic stretching, it does have a bit of foam rolling too but iirc there is basically zero evidence that rolling actually does anything except feel like it's doing something!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the numbers?
I just put like 5 cups of protein powder, then just lift weights without checking the numbers.
Hopefully i'm not the only one.
Original post by BKS

could be what it was created for, I'm not certain, but I'm already stretched (no pun intended) for time in my sessions and want to add stretching in off days. it's just somewhere to start with that really, I'm sure I'll adjust it if i keep it up. I think it's a decent mix of static/dynamic stretching, it does have a bit of foam rolling too but iirc there is basically zero evidence that rolling actually does anything except feel like it's doing something!

Posted from TSR Mobile

just to clarify I mean simple 6 and limber 11. limber 11 is just updated agile 8 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Carthaginian
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the numbers?
I just put like 5 cups of protein powder, then just lift weights without checking the numbers.
Hopefully i'm not the only one.

well to get bigger/stronger you need to lift more in some capacity, as long as you do that I guess you don't need to track any more closely. i find it psychologically easier and more satisfying because it provides short term goals etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 296
I'd not heard of simple 6, but yeah 11 is an update of 8 and I'm almost certain they are both meant as a warm up but CBA going to watch De Franco's original videos to see what he says

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think on off days, doing whatever is much better than nothing and it matters less. But I think that is kind of question begging if you're skimping on warm up. Maybe it's cause I'm old and broken but I'd always spend limited time on a warm up and drop something off the end if I had to

I don't do well with science and evidence but I swear by foam rolling, well more attacking sore bits with a ball than the flopping around on a bit of foam most people do. So all I've got is anecdote so it could just be I'm odd.

I'm a lot more flexible/mobile than most people and the two things I think are key is the skill of stretching and foam rolling. I stretch a lot less than folk I train with probably think I do but I've got my rolling ball out most of the time whilst I'm resting between sets. I've got a back injury and when it flares up rolling gets rid of a lot of the pain. I didn't really expect it to work so well when my physio told me a lot of what I need to do is keep on top of rolling sore points, it seems too simple, but it does work for me.
just to clarify I mean simple 6 and limber 11. limber 11 is just updated agile 8 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is meant as a warm-up (saw the video recently), however see no reason why it can't help overall flexibility.
Original post by BKS
I'd not heard of simple 6, but yeah 11 is an update of 8 and I'm almost certain they are both meant as a warm up but CBA going to watch De Franco's original videos to see what he says

I think on off days, doing whatever is much better than nothing and it matters less. But I think that is kind of question begging if you're skimping on warm up. Maybe it's cause I'm old and broken but I'd always spend limited time on a warm up and drop something off the end if I had to

I don't do well with science and evidence but I swear by foam rolling, well more attacking sore bits with a ball than the flopping around on a bit of foam most people do. So all I've got is anecdote so it could just be I'm odd.

I'm a lot more flexible/mobile than most people and the two things I think are key is the skill of stretching and foam rolling. I stretch a lot less than folk I train with probably think I do but I've got my rolling ball out most of the time whilst I'm resting between sets. I've got a back injury and when it flares up rolling gets rid of a lot of the pain. I didn't really expect it to work so well when my physio told me a lot of what I need to do is keep on top of rolling sore points, it seems too simple, but it does work for me.

It is meant as a warm-up (saw the video recently), however see no reason why it can't help overall flexibility.

Yeah I've read one of his articles again (ceebs with whole vid again) and one of the references it as a warm up, but then he talks about doing it on off days. In the other article he just presents it as an 'in the middle' solution to flexibility that's somewhere between 'i just wanna lift' and hours stretching erryday.

Regardless I agree with unistudent - whether it's meant as a warm up or not, I'm certain it will still be a good place to start with improving my mobility! I do warm up but not very thoroughly. I do some dynamic back/shoulder stuff, then when I start benching I do static/dynamic lower body stuff between my sets to prep for squats. And obvs I do warm up sets.

Wrt to foam rolling, I'll take the help whether it's placebo or not haha!. Regardless of the literature on foam rolling specifically, there's evidence that massage helps and rolling isn't fundamentally different so there probably is something to it. I just don't worship it like some people do is all! I've heard various theories from whether you should roll 'over' tight spots or just find them, hold the pressure and try to relax. I try to do some and some :tongue:
Reply 299
Yeah I've read one of his articles again (ceebs with whole vid again) and one of the references it as a warm up, but then he talks about doing it on off days. In the other article he just presents it as an 'in the middle' solution to flexibility that's somewhere between 'i just wanna lift' and hours stretching erryday.

Regardless I agree with unistudent - whether it's meant as a warm up or not, I'm certain it will still be a good place to start with improving my mobility! I do warm up but not very thoroughly. I do some dynamic back/shoulder stuff, then when I start benching I do static/dynamic lower body stuff between my sets to prep for squats. And obvs I do warm up sets.

Wrt to foam rolling, I'll take the help whether it's placebo or not haha!. Regardless of the literature on foam rolling specifically, there's evidence that massage helps and rolling isn't fundamentally different so there probably is something to it. I just don't worship it like some people do is all! I've heard various theories from whether you should roll 'over' tight spots or just find them, hold the pressure and try to relax. I try to do some and some :tongue:

I don't disagree. My point was more if you were doing it as a warm up then there might be more benefit in doing something else on off days to get a fuller range of mobility work in since it is designed to be more or less a minimum.

I probably borderline worship rolling, though I mostly don't roll on foam anymore, but the difference it has made to my back is insane, like not far off quality of life changing.

I used to always roll. Then my physio's approach to my back was to stick her elbow on sore bits, press half her weight into it and tell me to relax. I suspect there's a more appropriate technique depending on what you can feel when you massage so when rolling I think it makes sense just to do a bit of both.

Quick Reply

Latest