The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Funny you should say that because the number one demographic that hates the homeless is, you guessed it! The homeless themselves.

Most would rather sleep rough and beg than go to a soup kitchen or shelter. Those places are hell on earth.
Original post by john2054
I remember the only people who would speak to me when i was homeless, was other homeless people. Now i am doing better, i don't forget my roots. We have to look after our own...

Hey man, yeah I noticed too. Changed me really, made me less materialistic.

Made me see just how superficial peoples relationships are.

There are two types though, those who dont have a choice to be homeless and those who choose. Drugs is the choice.

though i dont blame some people, If i wanted a decent nights sleep I had to get stone drunk. concrete leaves bruises lol
Original post by SilverWings
Funny you should say that because the number one demographic that hates the homeless is, you guessed it! The homeless themselves.

Most would rather sleep rough and beg than go to a soup kitchen or shelter. Those places are hell on earth.

huh, thats strange, the breakfast mornings I went to were rather nice, though it did attract alot of disrespectful people who snuck in booze and got rowdy.

I can relate to the hatred thing, I am very wary nowadays as I saw many "homeless" people with smartphones, smart watches and lots of drugs.

I usually only give to those who engage in conversation with me for more than a couple of minutes. Last time I did i was in a toilet and a guy was shaving in the sink, he made a joke about the state of the toilets and we got talking, I didnt have any money, but gave him the last of my baccy. Im a bit of a fool like that, I used to give a share of the money I had to other homeless people who deserved it lol
Original post by SonoLuma
huh, thats strange, the breakfast mornings I went to were rather nice, though it did attract alot of disrespectful people who snuck in booze and got rowdy.
QED
Its Credit Card debt guy again! Hey how are you? how much is it now? still £35,000?

I'm wary of giving anything to homeless people, as I keep seeing them with beer & cancer sticks. Im sorry but they are a luxury and youre homeless. Get your priorities straight. . I believe some actually revel in it tbh.

I dont see them often though (or at all) in the Somerset countryside. Mainly when Im in Bristol and London I see them
(edited 7 years ago)
QED

Well, yeah. But I wouldnt go so far as hell on earth! (in my experience anyway!)

Most of the time I just went for a bit of inside warmth and to fill time for an hour in the mornings!
Original post by MeYou2Night
Its Credit Card debt guy again! Hey how are you? how much is it now? still £35,000?

I'm wary of giving anything to homeless people, as I keep seeing them with beer & ****. Im sorry no. They are a luxury and youre homeless. Get your priorities straight.

I dont see them often though (or at all) in the Somerset countryside. Mainly when Im in Bristol and London I see them

It's true that alot of homeless people overuse drugs, but honestly, if you try to sleep on concrete night after night (grass makes you at risk of hypothermia) That bottle of booze is the only way to get enough sleep to survive.

For some people that bottle of booze keeps your morale up when it seems like youre on your own.
It's true that alot of homeless people overuse drugs, but honestly, if you try to sleep on concrete night after night (grass makes you at risk of hypothermia) That bottle of booze is the only way to get enough sleep to survive.

For some people that bottle of booze keeps your morale up when it seems like youre on your own.

They can do all they want but Im not paying for it.
Well, yeah. But I wouldnt go so far as hell on earth! (in my experience anyway!)

Most of the time I just went for a bit of inside warmth and to fill time for an hour in the mornings!
Imagine *living* with those people.

I don't know, I've never been homeless so I can't weigh in properly but from what I've heard... the drug use, the fighting, the theft, the drama. It's mostly not worth it and you may as well get yourself a blanket. Either that or fake some voices in your head.
Reply 10

That's not true im afraid. When i was homeless i made friends with other homeless, for example Tony and Harry and Rene (rip). Get your facts straight, and oh yes, just because you read it in the guardian, or wikipedia, or a journal, does not means it beats the real lived experience on the cold wet streets. Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty, before you can wake up to the truth....

Hey man, yeah I noticed too. Changed me really, made me less materialistic.

Made me see just how superficial peoples relationships are.

There are two types though, those who dont have a choice to be homeless and those who choose. Drugs is the choice.

though i dont blame some people, If i wanted a decent nights sleep I had to get stone drunk. concrete leaves bruises lol
What made me realise how superficial people's relationships, is how easy people marry and then divorce these days. not that the two are related!

I can relate to the hatred thing, I am very wary nowadays as I saw many "homeless" people with smartphones, smart watches and lots of drugs.

I usually only give to those who engage in conversation with me for more than a couple of minutes. Last time I did i was in a toilet and a guy was shaving in the sink, he made a joke about the state of the toilets and we got talking, I didnt have any money, but gave him the last of my baccy. Im a bit of a fool like that, I used to give a share of the money I had to other homeless people who deserved it lol
smoking is bad for you, as it is for him. next time keep your cigs to yourself okay?

QED
what does this stand for?

I'm wary of giving anything to homeless people, as I keep seeing them with beer & cancer sticks. Im sorry but they are a luxury and youre homeless. Get your priorities straight. . I believe some actually revel in it tbh.

i'm fine thanks. i paid my credit cards off. although i still owe a lot to student finance england and the home office. lucky me

what do you mean, you wouldn't give to a homeless person if he didn't have anything? I know, most people wouldn't. You're not the only one. The rare few of us who do take five minutes away from tsr, to talk to them and maybe buy them a sandwich, are the rare few i'm afraid!

John.
I see a lot of people talking to homeless people. I've noticed it happens more in poorer areas.

I don't talk to stranger in the street anyway but even if I did, I wouldn't talk to homeless people. What can you really say?

I imagine the conversation would go something like this:

"How's it going mate?"
"****"
"What have you been up to?"
"Just sat here freezing by balls off for the last week"
"Oh right. Anyway, I've got to get to work"

I just don't have anything in common with them.
rnal,

i'm fine thanks. i paid my credit cards off. although i still owe a lot to student finance england and the home office. lucky me

Good for you!

Home office ??
They can do all they want but Im not paying for it.

That is, of course, your prerogative. however, all people who use drugs and booze dont do it for the kicks. A large portion do, for sure.

But honestly, sometimes I needed a drink to get to sleep when all Ive been getting is evil looks from people all day and no room or bed to go to. Sometimes it isnt a luxury, it is a necessity to survive.
That's not true im afraid. When i was homeless i made friends with other homeless, for example Tony and Harry and Rene (rip). Get your facts straight, and oh yes, just because you read it in the guardian, or wikipedia, or a journal, does not means it beats the real lived experience on the cold wet streets. Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty, before you can wake up to the truth....
But THE GUARDIAN IS ALL I KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :woo:
Smoking is bad for you, as it is for him. next time keep your cigs to yourself okay?
hahahahahahahahahaha
what does this stand for?
No idea.

:qed:
I was waiting for someone in town just the other week actually and I got chatting to a homeless man who was also chilling in the same spot. Told me that this time last year he was married, his wife cheated, he kicked her out, fell into deep depression, stopped working and got kicked out for not paying his rent. I bought him a pastie from Greggs and he was very grateful :h: A lot of people think people begging are just druggies looking for easy money but I some of them just genuinely want food.
Imagine *living* with those people.

I don't know, I've never been homeless so I can't weigh in properly but from what I've heard... the drug use, the fighting, the theft, the drama. It's mostly not worth it and you may as well get yourself a blanket. Either that or fake some voices in your head.

It can hollow you out, the dehumanisation. As trivial as it sounds, homelessness is what you make of it. You can do the "in your face" kind, the one that gets noticed (as in overuse of drugs, begging, fighting)

A blanket does absolutely nothing against a hard cold surface, I had a blanket, still needed booze sometimes to sleep more than a few hours. its a battle essentially, and sleep deprivation can drive you literally crazy in a couple of weeks. Combine overuse of drugs with that and its a potent cocktail, thats why the "crazy" ones are so noticeable compared to the quiet "ghostlike" ones you dont notice. They just use drugs more and more, thinking it will get them through, when all it does is hollow you out.
Reply 17
Original post by Sternumator
I see a lot of people talking to homeless people. I've noticed it happens more in poorer areas.

I don't talk to stranger in the street anyway but even if I did, I wouldn't talk to homeless people. What can you really say?

I imagine the conversation would go something like this:

"How's it going mate?"
"****"
"What have you been up to?"
"Just sat here freezing by balls off for the last week"
"Oh right. Anyway, I've got to get to work"

I just don't have anything in common with them.
you can't say what a stranger would say to you if you gave them 50p, because you don't knowm because you have never done it. They may even say thankyou.

Good for you!

Home office ??
overpaid benefits, which they stopped, and now i have to pay them back, because i was claiming some benefits whislt i was at uni, and i wasn't entitled i think...

That is, of course, your prerogative. however, all people who use drugs and booze dont do it for the kicks. A large portion do, for sure.

But honestly, sometimes I needed a drink to get to sleep when all Ive been getting is evil looks from people all day and no room or bed to go to. Sometimes it isnt a luxury, it is a necessity to survive.
the odd drink doesn't really kill you, but i agree too many can

But THE GUARDIAN IS ALL I KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :woo:hahahahahahahahahahaNo idea.

:qed:

Google says it means, 'thus is proved', or 'so it seems'
ps the guardian is like toilet paper really. my dad reads it, QED
It can hollow you out, the dehumanisation. As trivial as it sounds, homelessness is what you make of it. You can do the "in your face" kind, the one that gets noticed (as in overuse of drugs, begging, fighting)

A blanket does absolutely nothing against a hard cold surface, I had a blanket, still needed booze sometimes to sleep more than a few hours. its a battle essentially, and sleep deprivation can drive you literally crazy in a couple of weeks. Combine overuse of drugs with that and its a potent cocktail, thats why the "crazy" ones are so noticeable compared to the quiet "ghostlike" ones you dont notice. They just use drugs more and more, thinking it will get them through, when all it does is hollow you out.
I am fully aware of what a horrific cycle homelessness is, for sure.

I'm just explaining why I have heard and seen a lot of homeless/ex-homeless people saying they dislike/distrust/are scared of the homeless as a rule. They've lived it. They've seen the fights, had their last possessions stolen, seen food snatched out of hands. Homeless people are desperate people and when desperate people remain desperate for a sustained time the dehumanisation, as you said, is all too real. People turn into animals and it's not pretty, or safe.
@john2054 sounds like he had a pretty easy time on the streets with all his pals!

If only he had lived experience of life on the cold, wet streets. Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty before you can wake up to the truth.

Latest