The Student Room Group

What are the benefits of being vegan?

Except the fact that you save animals..
Perhaps feeling morally better than meat-eaters.
Spend less on food?
Original post by Conceited
Perhaps feeling morally better than meat-eaters.

Lool, that's for goddamn sure.
Original post by Sternumator
Spend less on food?

Oh yeah, didn't think of that.. :smile:
Some people claim health benefits, which depending on what you are transitioning from and your own personal requirements may well be true.

Generally, people achieve a greater sense of self-worth when they feel like they are making ethical choices. This is especially true when relatively few people are making those same choices that you consider ethical. Typical tribalism really.

Some people also conflate being vegan with being generally conscious about humanity's future sustenance needs. They might claim that grain-based diets are more sustainable due to the amount that is used to feed livestock etc.

So, to conclude, many people definitely gain some sense of fulfilment and belonging - but the benefits beyond that are up for debate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ByronicHero
Some people claim health benefits, which depending on what you are transitioning from and your own personal requirements may well be true.

Generally, people achieve a greater sense of self-worth when they feel like they are making ethical choices. This is especially true when relatively few people are making those same choices that you consider ethical. Typical tribalism really.

Some people also conflate being vegan with being generally conscious about humanities future sustenance needs. They might claim that grain-based diets are more sustainable due to the amount that is used to feed livestock etc.

So, to conclude, many people definitely gain some sense of fulfilment and belonging - but the benefits beyond that are up for debate.

Great detail! Geez thanks man
Being more aware of the world around you maybe?
veganism is great
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd rather not piss off the vegans
Reply 10
Whenever I fast, I go vegan - there is this fast called the Daniel fast which is no meat dairy oil etc, just fruit, veg and water.
And I've noticed my eyes and lips get lighter and my skin looks less dull so I guess that could be a benefit.
Original post by emerald7770
Except the fact that you save animals..

-Save 50% of the water (50% of water in the US goes to raising animals for food)
-18% of greenhouse gases are attributed to livestock
-Proven to lower risks of diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, renal disease and osteoporosis
-Vegans have shown to live for 9 years longer
-If we didn't waste all he food on artificially bred livestock, we would have more than enough food to end world hunger (40% of the world's grain harvest is fed to livestock). Think of the starving children
-You can get ALL the essentials from vegan food
-30% of the worlds landmass is dedicated to raising animals for food
-1 - 2 acres of rainforest are cleared every second for livestock
-The high fibre content of a vegan diet leads to a healthier bowel

There are maaaaaany other advantages but these are just a few. I've been vegan for a while now and I have to say, I've never felt better. If you do it right, veganism could be the best thing you can do for your body and mind. And yes, I am completely healthy; I have recently had a blood test to make sure all my nutrition is balanced and I have more energy than I know what to do with :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow, I was just watching some YouTube videos about veganism and then I come straight to TSR and I see this at the 'latest post'. Haha.

I have to admit, there is a compelling case for veganism.

I just have to accept that I value the taste of an animal over its life. There is no other justification.

Spoiler

Original post by MoonlightBoo
-Save 50% of the water (50% of water in the US goes to raising animals for food)
-18% of greenhouse gases are attributed to livestock
-Proven to lower risks of diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, renal disease and osteoporosis
-Vegans have shown to live for 9 years longer
-If we didn't waste all he food on artificially bred livestock, we would have more than enough food to end world hunger (40% of the world's grain harvest is fed to livestock). Think of the starving children
-You can get ALL the essentials from vegan food
-30% of the worlds landmass is dedicated to raising animals for food
-1 - 2 acres of rainforest are cleared every second for livestock
-The high fibre content of a vegan diet leads to a healthier bowel

There are maaaaaany other advantages but these are just a few. I've been vegan for a while now and I have to say, I've never felt better. If you do it right, veganism could be the best thing you can do for your body and mind. And yes, I am comp,steely healthy; I have recently had a blood test to make sure all my nutrition is balanced and I have more energy than I know what to do with :smile:

YEP. I'll become vegan for one hour to test. jk lol
Original post by AfricanPrinceXI
Wow, I was just watching some YouTube videos about veganism and then I come straight to TSR and I see this at the 'latest post'. Haha.

I have to admit, there is a compelling case for veganism.

I just have to accept that I value the taste of an animal over its life. There is no other justification.

Spoiler

Lol, that happens to me all the time. But yes, i totally agree. Chicken nuggets just taste sooooo good
There is so many, so happy to seeing this trending! I went vegan for environmental reasons after watching racing extinction and realising what a hypocrite I was for claiming to be an environmentalist! Also I was extremely anaemic and overweight and I am no longer anaemic plus I shifted weight too! I am so much happier, waking up more alert with a positive outlook on life. ALSO I FELL IN LOVE WITH FOOD. darn so much good food out there!
I could write about it forever but I won't but I am super in love with veganism and would encourage anyone to give it a go!
Original post by HannahMusgrave
There is so many, so happy to seeing this trending! I went vegan for environmental reasons after watching racing extinction and realising what a hypocrite I was for claiming to be an environmentalist! Also I was extremely anaemic and overweight and I am no longer anaemic plus I shifted weight too! I am so much happier, waking up more alert with a positive outlook on life. ALSO I FELL IN LOVE WITH FOOD. darn so much good food out there!
I could write about it forever but I won't but I am super in love with veganism and would encourage anyone to give it a go!

Aw that's great on you! :biggrin:
Do you not miss eating chicken??
Original post by emerald7770
Aw that's great on you! :biggrin:
Do you not miss eating chicken??

No😂 I don't miss meat at all and I would eat meat every meal, often steak 2-3 times a week! Went vegan overnight and never gone back! Hardest thing is convicence but if you look, there is always something vegan!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending