The Student Room Group

What?! Shaaay studies?

Hello people of TSR (if anybody even finds this lol)

I have decided to make a GROW YOUR GRADES! I realise that I'm starting this on 2nd January (and the day is almost over) but would it really be my mine if I was on time? The main reason I am starting this is because I feel like this will hold me accountable and boy do I need this. Here some background info on me (warning it's long):

Primary School
...was very much a mediocre student at best.

Secondary School
It wasn't till year 11 (yep not even year 10 when we were entered for english literature, always late eh?) that I started to get my ish together. Probably around this time tbh- my memory isn't that great lol. I just know it was after mocks :colone: when it came to those types of assessments I never knew what to do while those around me where revising. I'm still like this tbh :redface:

Anyway I realised that I couldn't rely on my sciences teachers to get me through my exams. I bought the CGP books for Physics, Chemistry, and Biology AND LET ME TELL YOU THEY WERE GOD SENT. I just basically rewrote everything in those books and got A*s in Biology and Chemistry (got a B in physics as I hadn't finished every thing :colondollar: not that a B is bad) in the last set of mocks we did for science. So it was around Jan/Feb that I got my act together and started studying and in the end I got...

GCSE GRADES

Spoiler

Year 12
WOW OKAY SO EVEN AFTER I VOWED TO MYSELF THAT I WOULD WORK HARD FROM THE BEGINING DO THAT I WOULDN'T BE 'STESSED' OUT COME EXAM SEASON LIKE I WAS FOR GCSES I, err, didn't :colondollar:. Year 12 was a bit of a roller coaster of emotions and fatigue and depressive thoughts and I'm determined for year 13 to be different hence me creating this gyg thread even if no one sees it!

LETS GO!!!

*TOO LONG LOOK AT NEXT POST*
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
**AND OF COURSE THE FIRST POST THAT I SPENT AGES ON IS TOO LONG AND I HAD TO CUT SOME BITS OUT AND PUT SOME BITS IN HERE**

REASON FOR MAKING:
I've seen a bunch of these around and I have found some really good threads that have inspired me @brainzistheword @PocketSized @1998Shannon @Ask-questions s @MapleMaypole @charlie_rhia_x @NiamhM1801 @Hannah-Brown @Vanilla Cupcake @greentron6 @Stooggy @Tombre
^^Will add more as I find more gyg threads athat I like :biggrin:

AS GRADES BECAUSE MY COLLEGE DECIDED TO ENTER US FOR AS EXAMS, EVEN IF WE DID LINEAR SUBJECTS BECAUSE IT'S RUN BY A BUNCH OF SADISTS :

Spoiler

YEAR 13 aka now:
So fast forward to now and I am doing Psychology, Sociology and English Literature A levels and they are linear.

University Offers:

Spoiler

A level grades TBA:

Spoiler

NOW LETS GO!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I think the way I'm going to do this is:

One post when I begin

Rant/'talk' about studying/what I have been doing/college, ect.

Plan of Action

Study tip spoiler (probs taken from my pinterest study tips board)

Then make another one after

saying what I actually did

what worked

what didn't

if that day was a YAY, MAYbe or NAY

a did you know spoiler containing something I learnt will studying :biggrin:

Guess I want this kinda interactive and a we all help each other type thing so I'm hoping people find this lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi there! I love your typing style, it's so refreshing and funny :biggrin:
I'm in Year 12 at the moment, and I have a GYG blog as well (would love for you to check it out! shameless self promotion at its finest)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4300764

Good luck with Year 13! :h:
Original post by Shaaayxp

I have decided to make a GROW YOUR GRADES! I realise that I'm starting this on 2nd January (and the day is almost over) but would it really be my mine if I was on time? The main reason I am starting this is because I feel like this will hold me accountable and boy do I need this. Here some background info on me (warning it's long):

Primary School

Secondary School
It wasn't till year 11 (yep not even year 10 when we were entered for english literature, always late eh?) that I started to get my ish together. Probably around this time tbh- my memory isn't that great lol. I just know it was after mocks :colone: when it came to those types of assessments I never knew what to do while those around me where revising. I'm still like this tbh :redface:

Anyway I realised that I couldn't rely on my sciences teachers to get me through my exams. I bought the CGP books for Physics, Chemistry, and Biology AND LET ME TELL YOU THEY WERE GOD SENT. I just basically rewrote everything in those books and got A*s in Biology and Chemistry (got a B in physics as I hadn't finished every thing :colondollar: not that a B is bad) in the last set of mocks we did for science. So it was around Jan/Feb that I got my act together and started studying and in the end I got...

GCSE GRADES

Spoiler

Year 12
WOW OKAY SO EVEN AFTER I VOWED TO MYSELF THAT I WOULD WORK HARD FROM THE BEGINING DO THAT I WOULDN'T BE 'STESSED' OUT COME EXAM SEASON LIKE I WAS FOR GCSES I, err, didn't :colondollar:. Year 12 was a bit of a roller coaster of emotions and fatigue and depressive thoughts and I'm determined for year 13 to be different hence me creating this gyg thread even if no one seesit!
LETS GO!!!

Best of luck!x:biggrin: I'm currently in yr 12 (kill me plz):redface: and I always slack off like I did for GCSE even though I need to work!:tongue: I love your writing style too!x I'll make sure to follow your progress!:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by NiamhM1801
Hi there! I love your typing style, it's so refreshing and funny :biggrin:
I'm in Year 12 at the moment, and I have a GYG blog as well (would love for you to check it out! shameless self promotion at its finest)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4300764

Good luck with Year 13! :h:

Hi! WOW YOU HAVE A LOT OF POSTS! *FOLLOWS THREAD*

P.s. No harm in a little self promo (Did it in another blog. Oops :wink:)
Hi! WOW YOU HAVE A LOT OF POSTS! *FOLLOWS THREAD*

P.s. No harm in a little self promo (Did it in another blog. Oops :wink:)

Aha yeah, although tbf I have had it since September so it kinda makes sense. Thank you! :biggrin:

(P.S. I know, that's how I found this :tongue:)
Reply 7
Original post by sunshine774
Best of luck!x:biggrin: I'm currently in yr 12 (kill me plz):redface: and I always slack off like I did for GCSE even though I need to work!:tongue: I love your writing style too!x I'll make sure to follow your progress!:smile:

Hi there! What subjects do you do and do you have a gyg blog too?

My advise is that IT'S NEVER TOO LATE. My trouble in year 12 was that I kept on getting overwhelmed and this time last year I was distraught with the amount of work I hadn't done. However, looking back I realise that I could have pulled myself together easily! I could have gotten at least Bs in English and Spanish come results day. So if you ever feel like: OMG I'VE SLACKED OFF! IT'S TOO LATE! NOW I'M GONNA FAIL! THAT'S IT MY LIFE IS OVER! EVEN MCDONALDS IS GOING TO REJECT ME! It's not so don't stress and put in work little by little and maybe you'll suprise yourself come results day :smile: Though you probs aren't even stressing in the first place because you aren't a drama queen like me, lol. :colone:
Reply 8
Aha yeah, although tbf I have had it since September so it kinda makes sense. Thank you!

(P.S. I know, that's how I found this :tongue:)

BAHAHA IT WORKED :devil:

Spoiler

BAHAHA IT WORKED :devil:

Spoiler

Haha I guess it did!!

Spoiler

Reply 10
Haha I guess it did!!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Primary School

Secondary School

GCSE GRADES

Spoiler

Year 12
WOW OKAY SO EVEN AFTER I VOWED TO MYSELF THAT I WOULD WORK HARD FROM THE BEGINING DO THAT I WOULDN'T BE 'STESSED' OUT COME EXAM SEASON LIKE I WAS FOR GCSES I, err, didn't :colondollar:. Year 12 was a bit of a roller coaster of emotions and fatigue and depressive thoughts and I'm determined for year 13 to be different hence me creating this gyg thread even if no one seesit!
LETS GO!!!

girl your GCSE grades are so good they kinda put mine to shame ugh I wish I'd worked a little harder looking back😬
Reply 12
Original post by greysychology
girl your GCSE grades are so good they kinda put mine to shame ugh I wish I'd worked a little harder looking back😬

GREY :h:

Aww really? Thought they wouldn't be seen as up to standard with the average tsr grades :colone: lol. Eh well that's why we're both going to ace those A level exams! :wink: :tongue:
Hey hey hey!! Amazing thread, which I'll definitely be watching - best of luck with A-levels and I look forward to seeing your progress :smile:
Hey! Thanks for the tag, im glad I inspired you. Love the layout of your thread, it's so cute. Definitely gonna follow this and join your journey 😃😃😃
Reply 15
Original post by brainzistheword
Hey hey hey!! Amazing thread, which I'll definitely be watching - best of luck with A-levels and I look forward to seeing your progress :smile:

Original post by PocketSized
Hey! Thanks for the tag, im glad I inspired you. Love the layout of your thread, it's so cute. Definitely gonna follow this and join your journey 😃😃😃

Thanks Guys! In this together?! :banana:
Sure, why not!
Reply 17
WHY DOES SHAAAY ALWAYS DO THIS ?!

[RAMBLE:]
SO COLLEGE STARTS TOMORROW (normal day- a lesson at 10 and a lesson at 12:20). I didn't really get any christmas h/w... Or at least I hope I didn't :colondollar: The thing is, I have mocks! A sociology exam on THURSDAY *Cries* at 1pm, a psychology exam on FRIDAY *Continues crying* at 9am, and an english literature exam on MONDAY *Wipes tears* at 1pm.

I haven't really done any revision of substance this holiday (I blame TSR's addictive nature :tongue:). Can anyone say all nighter??? But the main problem is iI'm scared and I allow myself to get easily overwhelmed... Scared of what? IDEK MAN. All I know is that I dread doing work and put it off till the last minute causing me to get even more overwhelmed... Just thinking about everything I have to go over makes me sick as I hadn't been making notes as I went but I don't have time to do it now and I really wanted an A but I don't even know how to write essays and *breath*. I always struggle to revise for sociology- the text book is unneccesarily long. It's like the editors just wanted to tick off a quota and just put in as much words as possible. BUT WAIT! I just remembered I have the much shorter revision book. Maybe I can use that and revise sociology like I revised for my actual real AS psychology exams?

Example:
20170103_131930[134].jpg

RANDOM MIND MAPS IT IS....

[PLAN OF ACTION:]
I'm just going to list the stuff that I could be assessed on:

Functionalist, Strain and Subcultural Theories

Interactionalism and Labelling Theory

Class, Power and Crime

Realist Theories of Crime

Gender, Crime and Justice

Ethnicity, Crime and Justice

Crime and the Media

Globalisation, Green Crime, Human Rights and State Crime

Control, Punishment and Victims

Structured interviews

Unstructured Interviews

Experiments

Observations

Documents

Statistics

Interpretivism

Questionnaires

Positivism

AS YOU CAN SEE IT IS A LOT AND I'VE LEFT IT ALL TO THE LAST MINUTE WHY AM I SUCH TRASH

P.s. How do I make the bullet point boxes I can tick off?

STUDY TIP OF THE DAY

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
WHY DOES SHAAAY ALWAYS DO THIS ?!

[RAMBLE:]
SO COLLEGE STARTS TOMORROW (normal day- a lesson at 10 and a lesson at 12:20). I didn't really get any christmas h/w... Or at least I hope I didn't :colondollar: The thing is, I have mocks! A sociology exam on THURSDAY *Cries* at 1pm, a psychology exam on FRIDAY *Continues crying* at 9am, and an english literature exam on MONDAY *Wipes tears* at 1pm.

I haven't really done any revision of substance this holiday (I blame TSR's addictive nature :tongue:). Can anyone say all nighter??? But the main problem is iI'm scared and I allow myself to get easily overwhelmed... Scared of what? IDEK MAN. All I know is that I dread doing work and put it off till the last minute causing me to get even more overwhelmed... Just thinking about everything I have to go over makes me sick as I hadn't been making notes as I went but I don't have time to do it now and I really wanted an A but I don't even know how to write essays and *breath*. I always struggle to revise for sociology- the text book is unneccesarily long. It's like the editors just wanted to tick off a quota and just put in as much words as possible. BUT WAIT! I just remembered I have the much shorter revision book. Maybe I can use that and revise sociology like I revised for my actual real AS psychology exams?

Example:
20170103_131930[134].jpg

RANDOM MIND MAPS IT IS....

[PLAN OF ACTION:]
I'm just going to list the stuff that I could be assessed on:

Functionalist, Strain and Subcultural Theories

Interactionalism and Labelling Theory

Class, Power and Crime

Realist Theories of Crime

Gender, Crime and Justice

Ethnicity, Crime and Justice

Crime and the Media

Globalisation, Green Crime, Human Rights and State Crime

Control, Punishment and Victims

Structured interviews

Unstructured Interviews

Experiments

Observations

Documents

Statistics

Interpretivism

Questionnaires

Positivism

AS YOU CAN SEE IT IS A LOT AND I'VE LEFT IT ALL TO THE LAST MINUTE WHY AM I SUCH TRASH

P.s. How do I make the bullet point boxes I can tick off?

STUDY TIP OF THE DAY

Spoiler

THE AWKWARD MOMENT WHEN YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO POST THIS AROUND 11 BUT THE YOU GOT DISTRACTED BY A MOVIE YOUR SISTER WAS WATCHING...

Spoiler

THE AWKWARD MOMENT WHEN YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO POST THIS AROUND 11 BUT THE YOU GOT DISTRACTED BY A MOVIE YOUR SISTER WAS WATCHING...

Spoiler

Oooh. ... dayyyyim. But don't worry! Stay motivated. Don't give up,just revise for the first ones first and over the weekend you can revise for new last one. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending